Questions about children with hl

Andrew Jackson

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

My name is Andrew, and I am an undergraduate Speech/Language Hearing Sciences student. This summer I am taking a Rehab Aud class, and I am writing a paper on children with hearing loss.
I'm looking for people who have worked/currently work with children with hearing loss in any way (doesn't necessarily have to be an aud setting) to answer the following questions:

1. How have you worked with children with hearing loss, or more specifically,
what are your duties that involve children with hearing loss?

2. When you work with children who have hearing loss, what are the two or three
consequences or effects of the hearing loss that you think have the biggest impact on the
child’s life?

3. Do you think that children with hearing loss are being adequately served in the area
where you work?

4. What kinds of things would you like to see happen differently for children with
hearing loss?

5. If you are familiar with the speech and language services that children with hearing
loss receive in your school or community, do you think that these services are meeting
the needs of these children? Why do you think this?

6. If you are aware of the hearing related services that children with hearing loss are
receiving in the schools or community where you are, do you think that these services are
meeting the needs of the students? Why do you think this?

7. Do you have anything that you would like to see done differently by people who work
with kids with hearing loss? (e.g. programs, funding, devices, etc..)

I know these are a lot of questions but remember you're helping out a future audiologist :). I thank you all in advance for your time and wisdom.

Andrew

First of all, the Deaf community doesn't use the terms hearing loss or hl for identity.

To you both,

My intentions on this forum are benevolent. If I have offended you in any way, I apologize. I posted something else on this forum before and received very helpful answers, which will help me greatly as a future aud. However, I did not come here to be the target of your ridicule and jabs. Yes, I understand the difference bewtween deaf, Deaf, and persons with hearing loss. From my understanding, this site encompasses the voices of all these people including those professionals/preprofessionals who work with these populations. In these questions, I am asking if any of these populations have worked with children with hearing loss. I am an educated preprofessional trying to gather data from semi-structured interviews from various sources. I am going to compile them into a paper, so my findings can benefit all of the populations listed above. If you do not feel that this is important, then I will leave this forum.

Sincerely,

Andrew

It is not that, Andrew. It is that there are so, so many surveys already here. I think if you took the time to look through the thousands of threads on here, you might find what you are looking for. We get hit up with surveys and questions non-stop, we feel like guinea pigs. AllDeaf was intended to be a fun, social forum. So don't get mad at us for not wanting to be put to work.

For me, I usually ignore to survey, so I'm wonder if ASL teacher told college students to use AD to ask survey?

If I was ASL teacher, I will never do to tell students to do survey, so it is extremely annoying.

One other point.. you might not find many here who do work with children who are deaf or HOH. There's at least two teachers that I can think of (?). One tends to stick with just her own thread (I've not seen her post much elsewhere) and I don't think I have seen many other teachers here.

Either way I suspect the pool of possible answers might be pretty small here.

Why are you making it so complicated? All I want from my audi is to tell me which HA is best for me. And oh, make new ear molds.

To you both,

My intentions on this forum are benevolent. If I have offended you in any way, I apologize. I posted something else on this forum before and received very helpful answers, which will help me greatly as a future aud. However, I did not come here to be the target of your ridicule and jabs.
You weren't a target of ridicule and jabs. If you sincerely want to be the best audiologist you can be in serving your clients, you need to be less sensitive. If you want to get honest answers to your questions you have to be prepared to take what you get. It's nothing personal.

Yes, I understand the difference bewtween deaf, Deaf, and persons with hearing loss. From my understanding, this site encompasses the voices of all these people including those professionals/preprofessionals who work with these populations.
You'll probably learn more by spending time with real life deaf and hoh people with stories to tell. They are more than data resources.

In these questions, I am asking if any of these populations have worked with children with hearing loss. I am an educated preprofessional trying to gather data from semi-structured interviews from various sources. I am going to compile them into a paper, so my findings can benefit all of the populations listed above. If you do not feel that this is important, then I will leave this forum.
How exactly will this paper benefit those whom you query? Will some kind of action result, such as training, funding, services?

BTW, I wasn't trying to ridicule you; I was trying to educate you. You'll get better responses to your survey questions if you phrase them in ways that look like you know what you're asking about.

One other point.. you might not find many here who do work with children who are deaf or HOH. There's at least two teachers that I can think of (?). One tends to stick with just her own thread (I've not seen her post much elsewhere) and I don't think I have seen many other teachers here.

Either way I suspect the pool of possible answers might be pretty small here.
Yes, sadly, the pool of participants at AD is shrinking. :(

Like @AlleyCat said is so many words, we are burned out. Almost like beating a dead horse for new answers. No offense towards you, Reba. :)
No offense taken. :)

Mostly I was referring to the fact that the number of active AD members posting at all is dwindling. :(

Mostly I was referring to the fact that the number of active AD members posting at all is dwindling.
I get it. I'm just as guilty as the next ADer. Hopefully the numbers will pick up as summer starts to fade. We bitch more when we have nothing to do. :)

Mostly I was referring to the fact that the number of active AD members posting at all is dwindling. :(
True statement, so many new people but same group answering treads. Where do all the new people go?

I apologize for offending any of you. I am not using any of you great people for guinea pigs for my homework. I have already interviewed a couple of professionals in person on this subject. I thought that using this site could provide some supplemental info. Again, I apologize. I honestly did not know this would cause anyone--including myself--so much grief. Next time I will know.

True statement, so many new people but same group answering treads. Where do all the new people go?
I try not to be too big of a pest and I felt bad for pointing out that girl a few weeks ago who kept coming up with my mom ..my kid ..me are all suddenly deaf due to a car reck or my fiancé is in legal trouble I forgot what her screen name was, and I enjoy posting on the anti ASL posts, because the one against usally just go by studies they don't actually have any kids

First you need to get the chip off your shoulder b/c I know wouldn't want to use an audi that throwing off so much anger . People that are deaf and hoh are very good at picking up people vibes . I really don't you're in the right line of work if you're not able listen what deaf and hoh people are telling you . You have prove my point in this post of your.
" apologize for offending any of you. I am not using any of you great people for guinea pigs for my homework. I have already interviewed a couple of professionals in person on this subject. I thought that using this site could provide some supplemental info. Again, I apologize. I honestly did not know this would cause anyone--including myself--so much grief. Next time I will know."
When you said "I have already interviewed a couple of professionals in person on this subject" was any of these people deaf or hoh ?? This is NOT the same as interviewing people
that are deaf or hoh unless the people were deaf or hoh their self . I have a feeling you're want to be an audi more for your own ego than anything else.

Just for clarification, correct me if I am wrong . Hearing loss appears to be late deafened . For example, you hit age 16 and BAM! Your hearing is declining. You can be any age before you become a senior person.

I have hearing loss genetics in my family. Notice I didn't say, deaf. My family members with a hearing loss do not use sign language, that's a big difference than calling out members here in the forum "Hearing Loss" . Deaf or HOH is sufficient.

I understand your audi and the words are used differently. Here at this forum deaf / HOH is usually the most common used.

Back