Questions about an HP printer

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an older HP All in One Printer. Scanner/printer/fax. KIt's an Officejet 4315v All-In-One.

I keep in covered when not in use due to the dust in the house. The cover is basically an old pillowcase, king size. I have not had any problems with it since purchasing it 4 years ago until now. I use 24 pound ink-jet/laser paper and good HP ink cartridges. My problem is, that lately, in the last month, my paper keeps jamming up in the printer. I'm not sure what to do. I had a different printer that I could run this scrubber pad through to clean the rollers, but this one doesn't work that way. I hate to have to replace it, since it does work and I may need the fax capabilities at some point.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this and how to avoid it? This is a new package of paper.

I know this may sound silly, how high humidity is your house? The higher humidity, the more prone that it gets jammed. You want the humidity level to be in "Average range" that way it shouldn't be problem. You don't want humidity to be too dry or too wet.

What I used to do is fan the paper (Printer talk), this is to allow more air in between papers so that they won't stuck together.

I got similar as yours, and yeah it is HP, it is "alrighty" printer.

I wonder if you tried a different type of paper it would work. Different weight or brand or something.

At first I thought humidity, too. But usually winter air is too dry. :dunno:

Use 20 pound paper. 24 pound paper is thicker than 20 and makes a difference. I have an HP Officejet 4215 All-In-One and it works great using 20.

I did use 20 pound previously to try and it jammed worse.
The humidity in the house is very low since we got the new windows. I will try fanning the paper again. I can also try the 20 pound paper again, as I gave it to my daughter for craft use. Will try again. thanks!

well - I been working on printers for years- I just have to tell you. I hate to work on home models compared to business. Do you have smearing on paper? does it track to one side? you need to use a flashlight and look in EVERY opening on the printer. a piece of torn off or flaked off paper the size of the end of ball point pen is enough to jam it. you will also need tweezers, rubber gloves. IF you can get a hold of foam type qtips, you can use it to clean rollers. DO NOT USE COTTON type. IF all else fails, cut a strip of paper 3 inches wide from heavyest weight you can use like 30 to 50 lb. Use the paper strip and slide in the paperpath and hold both ends and pretend you are polishing the shoe to find that ONE stray piece of paper thats jamming it.

No ink smears. No torn paper in there. All paper that has come out is whole and complete. Nothing torn. I can't get to any rollers to clean with foam pads. I went back and fanned out the paper and tried, jammed on page 2. Took out all the 24 pound paper (which is the recommended weight as per book) and used 20 pound, fanned paper, still jams on page 2. I took out all paper and put in card stock and it jams on page 1.

The only think I can say is, where the ink cartridges go, it looks like there was leakage at some point. I have tried to clean it, but it didn't work very well.

I may just replace it, but I will see.

yes unfornuately you may need to replace it. Thats the major reason why I hate home version of printers. their life span is soo short, its hard to get parts, its not designed for long life. companies just figure we gonna buy new every 2 years. sucks!

Hi,

I need your help...I can't decide which one? Any idea or suggest?

I am planning to buy the portable photo printer without computer....PictBridge, picture size 5x7 and larger, any cards, and reasonable price.

I hope that photo print will compable(sp) to my newest camera Fujifilm FinePix Z90...?

Thank you,

Deafbear

yes unfornuately you may need to replace it. Thats the major reason why I hate home version of printers. their life span is soo short, its hard to get parts, its not designed for long life. companies just figure we gonna buy new every 2 years. sucks!

I did replace the printer. I have kept it as the fax machine portion still works well. I have a new HP Photosmart D110 series now that I got at Best Buy for $79, regularly $119. It was on sale and I had 2 coupons.

I posted a picture of my home computers somewhere here, or in Deaf Products and Technologies. I have two printers, one is mono laser and other is Canon MP830 Color inkjet all - in - one and photo printer. There are two reason of having two printers:

Mono Laser printer last longer than inkjet. I have one HP laser 1100 model that lasted for 10 years. Toner is cheaper than inkjet. One $110 toner lasted for almost 2.5 years whereas inkjet cost $65 and lasted maybe 3 to 4 months? Also, we spend more time printing black and white only. We rarely print color. So, I got this new Lexmark that does both side printing and 35 ppm. So using both side printing save the papers.

We only turned off the all-in-one printer to save electricy.

Perhaps, something fell in the printer without you knowing about it?

Perhaps, a paper got jammed before and you thought you fixed it... but something from that jam is still there leading to more jams? :dunno:

Back