Question for ci users or former ci users who had surgery

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a lot of drainage come out from bottom of incision and I had to replace the band aid frequently, so I don't know about when will be last but some people told me - it may take few days to week. The drainage is serous fluid with clear watery with light orange and pink, also my ENT nurse said it is normal for surgical incision. They told me that fluid has to come out to reduce the swelling. It is nussiance to me. I'm on 10th day after surgery and my incision has been healing well, so I don't know whenever drainage will be stopped. The drainage started on 7th day after surgery.

Question for you, do you experience any drainage from incision that come from CI surgery? If so, how long last? How could you absorb them effectively instead of slide down the neck? How bad was your swelling?

I read from somewhere - it is occur during healing process.

Some drainage may be normal, but if it were running down my neck for several days I'd be at the doctors office or a medical aid unit to get it looked at. I'd be concerned about having it getting an infection.
Did you tell the ENT nurse how much it's draining?
I did not have drainage.

Some drainage may be normal, but if it were running down my neck for several days I'd be at the doctors office or a medical aid unit to get it looked at. I'd be concerned about having it getting an infection.
I did not have drainage.

Yes, I did - a lot of fluid and they told me - that is normal as long as there is no foul smell.

I had no drainage at all after mine,so nit sure what is supposed to be normal, but i can say this if mine were draining like that i would have been on the phone to the doctor real quick like, cause that would have freaked me out! They told me i might have some leakage the day after but anything more i was to call them. Good luck to you foxrac!

I had no drainage at all after mine,so nit sure what is supposed to be normal, but i can say this if mine were draining like that i would have been on the phone to the doctor real quick like, cause that would have freaked me out! They told me i might have some leakage the day after but anything more i was to call them. Good luck to you foxrac!

I did not have drainage.

Hi all, I went to see ENT today and the doctor told me that most of my incision healed nicely, except on bottom and corner due to low blood supply so doctor had to removed the slitches because it wasn't dissolved and ordered me to apply ointment to seal the bottom and corner off until it is healing - it will take up to 10 days to be fully healed. They did cut the old scar that I received CI on Feb 1996 and made difficult to heal up due to low blood supply, of course, my incision has been cut twice - 1996 and 2017.

The drainage is due to slowly and poorly healed on incision that had been scarred and cut again, so people who are new to CI usually have no drainage at all, but if you have surgery to re-implant or remove the CI so drainage is very likely to happen.

Those aren't severe - just minor and nussiance.

Glad it all went well. Well, except for the area that didn't heal as quickly as the rest.

Looks like your healing is improving. I'm glad that you're past the severe pain.

Looks like your healing is improving. I'm glad that you're past the severe pain.

Yes, finally, it is no longer to be red anymore - just pink now and wound seems start to close.

Glad it all went well. Well, except for the area that didn't heal as quickly as the rest.

There is update, all of my incision is healed with some swelling on bottom and it is still uncomfortable to sleep on right ear right now - 4 weeks after surgery.

My doctor told me that could be up to 6 months after surgery for all numb and swelling goes away.

It was around the 4th to 5th week that I was able to sleep on my implant side and even then I think I was still feeling a little discomfort. It's a little over 5 months now and I can't remember the last time I had discomfort sleeping on it.

I can imagine an explant after all these years would take longer to heal.

It was around the 4th to 5th week that I was able to sleep on my implant side and even then I think I was still feeling a little discomfort. It's a little over 5 months now and I can't remember the last time I had discomfort sleeping on it.

I can imagine an explant after all these years would take longer to heal.

Oh I see, my doctor told me that recovery from explant and re-implant are similar to first time CI surgery, however swelling could last longer than first time.

I have to take Melatonin everyday until I can sleep on right ear successfully.

Back