Question about the word "audism"

Often hearing people are not aware of being an audist.
audism does not goes both ways, the reverse is deafism and this also attacks innocent deaf people !

racism is done the other ways too of course! dont be naive, look at rap music videos are obvious examples. Even 'job oppurtunities' are 'won' becuase they accused by penetrators who abuses the the racism notions...... that's been apparently getting around..

also, often there are black's scholarships or sports teams but it would be be deemed racist if whites does the same......

so no, im not apologetic, racisms does goes both ways, white people need not to be scared anymore, as does men need not to get scared of mind-gaming power-hungrey ambitious women.....

knowing how to be fair is one thing, but knowing how to get what you want by exploiting other people's fear of lawsuits is quite another thing

I think reverse audism or racism is sort of complicated because at its source it stems indirectly from bad experiences as a result of racism/audism. It's also part of human nature to want to classify/generalise about others. I'm not justifying or excusing it. It's more of an explanation for why it exists, if you will.

While it goes both ways, in many cases the imbalance of resources and power goes to one group rather than the other due to historical reasons that does have to be addressed. for example for deaf people having resources to access the hearing world such as interpreters, hearing aids, good quality education programs etc.

There is reverse racism, so how about reverse audism?

Beautiful question. I kept thinking about this when "audism" had a Deaf community hot-topic rebirth last year in NY throughout my circles of peers. I even once remarked that I was an audist myself to a good Deaf friend of mine and and Deaf ex-fiance. Understandably this was not taken quite well at first (LOL) but the point of my making that comment was to both declare and encounter my own fears in this "real world" as a Deaf individual. I mean, this is a predominantly "audist" world we all live in. Whenever there's a moment I think and react, "I can't do [blah, blah] ...." in terms of my deafness, I think that's audism at work on a subconscious level which I was generally exposed to during childhood in this grossly ignorant "real world", even nowadays sometimes. Of course, there are many other so-called glorified and ideal terms we follow as a collective in the "real world" that includes race, appearance, attitude, politics, what have you.... but I think we deal with the everyday battle of audist attitudes and how they inevitably affect our attitude toward ourselves and especially in choosing how to carry ourselves after self-bashing moments. Messed up, I know.... but sadly true. :(

Beautiful question. I kept thinking about this when "audism" had a Deaf community hot-topic rebirth last year in NY throughout my circles of peers. I even once remarked that I was an audist myself to a good Deaf friend of mine and and Deaf ex-fiance. Understandably this was not taken quite well at first (LOL) but the point of my making that comment was to both declare and encounter my own fears in this "real world" as a Deaf individual. I mean, this is a predominantly "audist" world we all live in. Whenever there's a moment I think and react, "I can't do [blah, blah] ...." in terms of my deafness, I think that's audism at work on a subconscious level which I was generally exposed to during childhood in this grossly ignorant "real world", even nowadays sometimes. Of course, there are many other so-called glorified and ideal terms we follow as a collective in the "real world" that includes race, appearance, attitude, politics, what have you.... but I think we deal with the everyday battle of audist attitudes and how they inevitably affect our attitude toward ourselves and especially in choosing how to carry ourselves after self-bashing moments. Messed up, I know.... but sadly true. :(

:gpost:

In many , if not most circumstances, reverse Audism can be the same as deafism.

But it is not the same thing, because deafism is liken racism from Deaf to deaf..in that sense of stauchness to sign being the measure of loyality or even the vocabulory of signs is used to justified to thrawt naive deafs as the means of demonstrating 'power'. Whereas a reverse audism is liken deaf pretending to be a hearing attempting to impose an audist ideation.

peepingthoughts, I LIKE your post, it is an excellent summary, What you have described is the power of ideology, an audist ideology.

In many , if not most circumstances, reverse Audism can be the same as deafism.

But it is not the same thing, because deafism is liken racism from Deaf to deaf..in that sense of stauchness to sign being the measure of loyality or even the vocabulory of signs is used to justified to thrawt naive deafs as the means of demonstrating 'power'. Whereas a reverse audism is liken deaf pretending to be a hearing attempting to impose an audist ideation.

peepingthoughts, I LIKE your post, it is an excellent summary, What you have described is the power of ideology, an audist ideology.

Exactly. It is intragroup prejudice.

Audism means discriminating against or oppressing deaf people, either by hearing or deaf people, right?

So what is the term used for discriminating against or oppressing hearing people, either by hearing or deaf people? Would it not also be audism? Or is this term used only when the deaf person is the victim?

I'm just curious, because I was talking with a friend about a Deaf person who teaches very negative things about hearing people and I was wondering what you might call that, since if it was a hearing person teaching similar things about Deaf people it would ABSOLUTELY be called audism.

The way the word is constructed implies that it should mean either one (just as "racism" doesn't ONLY mean white people who discriminate against black people), but I don't think I've seen it used both ways.

By the way, I really don't mean to stir up an argument with this question. I don't want to get into a discussion about who is more audist, or anything. I really must want to know if the term only goes one way, because I don't want to use it incorrectly. So apologies in advance if this thread goes awry.
I am no expert but I would tend to agree with you on the two way street use of the word. I think that all of the negative elements of audism can be used both ways. Just my opinion for what its worth.

By the way, I really don't mean to stir up an argument with this question. I don't want to get into a discussion about who is more audist, or anything. I really must want to know if the term only goes one way, because I don't want to use it incorrectly. So apologies in advance if this thread goes awry.

you havent stirrred up a shitstorm, this is really GOOD topic, intellectual and stimulating. (before I wasnt rude,when saying 'dont be naive', just saying look around, no ill treatment intended)
kudo to you for raising this important topic i wish it could go on forever, there's great potential for it to be common knowledge if only.....

I am no expert but I would tend to agree with you on the two way street use of the word. I think that all of the negative elements of audism can be used both ways. Just my opinion for what its worth.

I really agree with you but I don't think the word is being used that way these days. My suspicion is that it is too new, and at the moment the problem of deaf people being patronized and marginalized by hearing people is MUCH bigger than the other way around.

If knowledge of Deaf culture, ASL, and deaf rights becomes more widespread, I think maybe then we can expect the word to be used in its linguistically correct denotative sense, that is, "discrimination by anyone against anyone else based on hearing or deaf status." Where hearing English-speakers are the majority culture, they are also the ones controlling how words are put into use, and at the moment hearing people don't know squat about Deaf culture or deafness in general.

Reverse discrimination. All the same, prejudice is prejudice. good thread, I see your point.. these things have to be two way street, too.

Deaf militant was coined as the antithesis of audist, I believe. Visibility on issues like discrimination against Deaf peeps is really important to me, though, because it hits very close to home to me. It is especially unpleasant being called "Handicapped" to my face at work, and that being used against me as far as a permanent job would be. It is because of my experiences that I would not wish this on anyone, hearing and Deaf.

Well, whether the labels may be... discrimination and prejudice sadly still exist for all..., genders, sexual orientation, hearing, Deaf, race, religion, creed, you name it..., and it would be not good to be in denial of that, either way, or to be distracted from that.

Just a small thought: If the word means "discrimination against HoH/deaf" it should not be so confused in lipreading with another word and in speech for HoH. "Audism" versus "autism" - too hard.

I really agree with you but I don't think the word is being used that way these days. My suspicion is that it is too new, and at the moment the problem of deaf people being patronized and marginalized by hearing people is MUCH bigger than the other way around.

If knowledge of Deaf culture, ASL, and deaf rights becomes more widespread, I think maybe then we can expect the word to be used in its linguistically correct denotative sense, that is, "discrimination by anyone against anyone else based on hearing or deaf status." Where hearing English-speakers are the majority culture, they are also the ones controlling how words are put into use, and at the moment hearing people don't know squat about Deaf culture or deafness in general.
Interestingly enough when I first came across the word Audism I wondered why we needed another word for the existing negatives we have in prejeduce, stereotyping, bigotry etc. I accept the fact that this word (coined by Tom Humphries) is appropriate in it's context. Many words are used out of context all the time and audism is no exception. There are some that believe audism should only be used to describe hearing people which is partially in context. Per Tom's definition of audism, to say that there are not deaf audists, would be out of context.

I also believe that to reduce audism all around there needs to be education and awareness on both sides. The majority hearing culture needs awareness of deaf issues. And the deaf community should have patience with the ignorance of the hearing culture. They also need to be more accepting of other deafies that choose to assimilate no matter what method they use.

Having said that I know in my heart there will be idiots on both sides that choose to remain audist even after understanding the issues. There is nothing anyone can do about that. But I also believe that education and awareness will change the opinoins of many on both sides.

IMO and sorry for going off here if its not related but AUDISM, sounds like discrimination, MANY need to be educated, and after the MSSD faisco it shows me one thing no one is willing to ACCEPT to adapt. ME i adapted and im living in BOTH worlds NOTHING wrong with that BUT seriously PLEASE stop using AUDSIM as a offensive word, start educating ans sharing the experince with other hearing poeple and stop saying we're being opressed we're not they are the ones that need to be EDUCATED simple.. theres ENUFF hate crimes all over the world and this one shld be earicated from the vocabulary! for the likes of David Eberwein and Ella Mae Lentz and various of Deaf Leaders well known if you want to make a better example THEN STOP putting poeple down and just EDUCATE them and stop saying we did this wrong or THEY did this wrong we need to work as a team and erase the hate! this is like saying black and white ALL Over again and after MLK finally stopped the segeration we cld do the same! we ALL have to work and be in the hearing world WORK with them don't SHUN them im tired of seeing negtive BS going on and on and on complaing abt this and that if u tired of it THEN DO SOMETHING ABT IT!

dont be talking ( signing) talk is cheap action is worth the cause! thank you....

hmmmmmmm Java, you right, there is a lot of distortion been going around, perhaps its because people like all sorts of people, not just deaf people lacks ability or sosphication to discern what deemed to be audist. I suspect that unlike racism which can also be subtle, but its not physically distinctive, or as complex as deafness that encompass a whole range of factors (like auditory levels, family background, cultural capital of family heirlooms, innate linguistic drive, individual talents, school background, attitudes, political orientation and so on) that proved to be difficult to have the same 'standardised' observational perception for all deaf people to somewhat ensure avoiding jumping the 'conclusion' in accusation of someone as an audist.

While yo umight say 'get rid of audism' , I disagree, its here to say but it need more developing. Feminism doesnt cause hate crimes, perhaps there are exceptions. and Lastly, WE ARE being oppressed......but I will not shove this down your throat, because i recognise some people (like yourself) are not receptive to this sort of thinking. It isn't all panic and doom nor hate-generating, quite different, but yes for some souls -its best not to stir them (yet). oh on the hindsight now, I think you may have meant stirred , rather than educated. Education is bady needed yes, I agree with there, however I believe that is not happening either.
Cheers

Back