Question about CI

~*Kaelei*~

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question:

My batteries died for the implant I normally wear, the G3 implant. Well, since I don't have any batteries and my check doesn't come until Wednesday but I need to hear, so I put my old implant one... the really old one, that I haven't worn since 2000. So I guess my question is, is it dangerous to put the old implant on? It sounds really really werid, its like everyone has a voice of really old man and the sounds is really low, with consistent of little well not beeping but something of a noise that sounds like eeeeeeee. It's really annyoing and I can't communicate with my family without my CI since reading their lips is kinda hard.

So my question is: Is it safe to keep the old CI on or shall I just not wear it at all until Wednesday when my check comes to buy batteries for my G3 implant?

Ask your family to borrow a few bucks for new batteries then pay them back when your check arrives. If they want to communicate with you, im sure they will loan you(interest free) for a few days. The alternative is wear your old HA in the nonimplanted ear or just communicate with ASL or writing/typing.

If it sounds so weird that its almost uncomfortable I wouldnt wear it. Do you not have a new back up CI ?
Would you be able to make a quick email/call to the CI centre and ask if it would be okay?

I wouldn't use the old processor if it's uncomfortable/weird but if you can get it reprogrammed to current maps then it can be kept as spare.

I wouldn't use the old processor if it's uncomfortable/weird but if you can get it reprogrammed to current maps then it can be kept as spare.

I agree - You should always have the backups to be mapped almost equally as the one you have now. I know 3G is very different, but if your audiologist can make a simple map JUST for back up only, then they should do it. 9 years is a long time, since that time you probably had many different maps with the Freedom, so of course it's going to sound weird.

I agree - You should always have the backups to be mapped almost equally as the one you have now. I know 3G is very different, but if your audiologist can make a simple map JUST for back up only, then they should do it. 9 years is a long time, since that time you probably had many different maps with the Freedom, so of course it's going to sound weird.

This is exactly what my audi did.

The maps on my 3Gs sound like Darth Vader, but I can still understand speech which is all I care about since I won't be using them on a daily basis.

All I did was have my audi transfer the maps from my Freedom to the 3Gs and I was ready to go.

I'm sure I could probably hear so much better with my 3Gs if I created a map from scratch, but my tinnitus was acting up that day.

Besides, they are spares only and won't be used all of the time, so excellent sound quality isn't as important as it would be for the processors I wear all of the time.

Personally, I would wait until wednesday. I tried the same thing with my bro's CI and it doesn't work with my electrodes, but my CI works for his. Weird I know, and he says that people have muffled speech with my CI on. For me it's silent. So I'd advise waiting another day if that's not a problem. Good luck :)

I agree with the reprogramming options though.

It's wednesday today so hopefully you'll be able to get batteries and be able to Hear again!!

Thanks for all the advice! Luckily my friend was able to loan the money last night so I was able to get the batteries last night! :)

Thanks for all the advice! Luckily my friend was able to loan the money last night so I was able to get the batteries last night! :)

I would have loaned you money if I knew you in person. If you saw my reply above, couldn't you have asked your parents for a loan?

Back