Purple thing hanging on trees near highways or somewhere.. what's that?

Taurus

Reaction score
I noticed there are many of purple things that are hanging on trees in highways and few near roads..

I assumed it was a bat house or so.. Anyone noticed it? I have seen purple things in three states so far.

They are to capture the Emerald Ash Borer, an exotic insect that is causing widespread destruction of Ash trees. Not sure exactly what they do if they find an insect in them, but that is why they have the purple pouch things. I assume they are hanging from Ash trees only.

did you take a picture of that tree. i have never seen it before. im curious.

I thought saywhatkid was yanking my chain until I Googled it:

http://www.agr.state.il.us/eab/image/1/Purple_trap_Print_PSA_web_.jpg

Yeah, I am guilty of chain yanking at times. I see these pouch things around the area I go for walks. I have added a picture:

717br7.jpg

Interesting! I never heard of that before until now.

Wow, I have never see this one before in Canada. Very interesting that this pesky bugs can destroy all Ash trees. I don't think we have Ash trees here but if there are Ash trees, I don't know if the Ministry of Natural Resources can take care of that. Thank-you for giving us the information on this pesky EAB. :hmm:

I so those too and wondered what they were! Thanks for this thread!

Just found out why those traps are purple. The ash borers are attracted to the color purple according to their research.

Back