Purchasing equipment using hra/fsa?

MikeF

Reaction score
This may be considered off topic or not relevant to this thread but needed to ask since the traffic here may be helpful. I get Health Reimbursement and Flexible Spending (HRA/FSA) through my job. I am looking to purchase some equipment for my home and daily life use. Last year, I purchased a NoizFree ear hook for my BTE hearing aid through a health supply website with no issues using the FSA card. This year I want to purchase a new shake awake alarm clock and another ear hook for a cell phone. Does anyone have any issues purchasing these aids on a HRA/FSA card at all? Through online stores? I can purchase some stuff like hearing aid supplies from my audiologist because his merchant code is a medical code but some websites do not have such merchant code. Plus, the audiologist does not carry the stuff I want to get. Can't find a local store despite my Google search and major sites like WalMart or Amazon don't accept them as payment. Only thing I can possibly do is pay out of pocket and file for reimbursement. But that's really a headache and need to watch my spending these days. TIA

that is a very good question. i know that fsa really watches what you spend it on. they dont like odd prices and they dont like products that helps people with medical issues. in my opinion fsa is great to have but its such a hassle once they lock down your fsa card. submitting the paperwork to them is always a hassle and they are always argueing whether or not its ok . i just personally want to kill fsa. i'd rather have the irs find a better way to do this on taxes.

Not me. Just keep your receipts and audiologist's note for proof. We use FSA to cover doctor co-pay visits, hearing aid batteries, and pregnancy tests. FSA shows the list to let you know that which one is eligible to purchase it with FSA. You can contact FSA for information through your employer. Some websites are not qualified, so don't go for them.

I forgot to update this. I ordered a bed shaker and alarm clock combo and an induction neckloop in mid-February. Early March the FSA company says I need an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) letter or a prescription. I asked if a letter from my audiologist would be sufficient. They said yes and the substantiation was closed last week. It was just a little effort on my end. Just a few e-mails back and forth to the FSA and a trip or call to the audiologist. Some sites will accept FSA as payment and I found one. I have both HRA and FSA so my HRA was actually charged. So in all it was a good process that can be done. YMMV though.

Back