Punishing kids

soulchill

Reaction score
What kinds of punishments do you have for your kids? Grounding, go to your room, go stand in the corner, early bedtime and chores work for me so far. I don't really have a problem punishing them, but there mom is a softy. Is it really so hard to tell a kid when they behave good or bad and have consequences for each?

No single answer here. Each child is different, so punishment approach is different as well. I don't like the idea of spanking, and reserve it for only when kid don't listen and risk them to dangerous environment where they can get hurt easily. Recently I tried different kind of punishment and it appears to work well. Its cold shower. my kid hates cold shower so much that they do listen to us afterwards. It seems works, but I can't use that when my kid grow up.

Ours just seem to have problems from their mom being inconsistent.

ahh that is problematic must be consitant if not you get neurotic kids

My boys are grown up now, youngest is 16...as for "punishing" them..I don't see it that way.....I see it as "correcting them."...A lot of talking and explaining whatever situation needed to be said was the 1st choice and making sure they understood....2nd offense would be taking something away from them that they enjoyed...and 3rd offense would be liable for several weeks of being grounded with no phone or video games, etc. to use or play.

As for me, I was spanked as a child, and when I got into my teens I just behaved. On the rare occasions I did act up, I got a stern talking to and punishment, such as being grounded for a week (minimum).

I think I turned out pretty good!

I had kind of a rough childhood so I was really against punishment, and usually just reasoned with my children.

In spite of it, they turned out to be fine people!

I had kind of a rough childhood so I was really against punishment, and usually just reasoned with my children.

In spite of it, they turned out to be fine people!

I'm sorry about your childhood :( .
You probably did a good job with your kids, if I know you good enough! :lol: Did they listen to you? What did you do if they didn't?

I'm sorry about your childhood :( .
You probably did a good job with your kids, if I know you good enough! :lol: Did they listen to you? What did you do if they didn't?

If they didn't, I think I normally just looked at them in disbelief, and they had to learn from experience they were making mistakes.

I did warn them. :P

I was abused by my parent and grandparent during childhood so I won't spank my future child. I will use stand at cover, timeout, take stuff away, ground, no treats, early bedtime, stay in room, no new toys, etc.

I like DHB idea about cold shower.

Never used corporal punishment on my kids. Doesn't work, as I got my ass & head beat by my Dad, and know what it is like.

Psychological discipline works well for us....all I have to do is give my kids a certain look and they know. Giving warnings and following through with any threats works.

My kids have a lot of breathing room & freedom at home, and the tradeoff is that they are angels outside of the house.

Sounds like the mother needs to see a counselor to get to the bottom of the issue.

It wasn't my idea, it was from one of my wife's friend that suggested her. I thought why not? Because my three years old son was very stubborn toddler, and I tried spanking but it seems not working the way I wanted it to be. I was open to several options and idea how to disciple and make my baby son grow to be fine son like my oldest son. Anyway, after series of cold shower disciplines, my baby son actually got the message across and hates cold shower and he is actually improving. I haven't had sent him to cold shower for a good while already.
Whats interesting is that my oldest son used to not believe our warning of danger and refused to listen to us. I tried to spank him to warn him of danger. He refused to obey, and found way to sneak around and play with my lawn mower and hit wrong spot. Man! He scream like crazy and learn lesson. My baby son, I warned him about hot surface. He listened and refused to touch it, I am not sure where or how he knows "Hot" when he was 2 years old. This includes hot wood stove and stove too Go figure! :dunno: guess each child has their own unique way of learning.

I was abused by my parent and grandparent during childhood so I won't spank my future child. I will use stand at cover, timeout, take stuff away, ground, no treats, early bedtime, stay in room, no new toys, etc.

I like DHB idea about cold shower.

Back