Ptsd ?

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, those of you who have become late deafen, did you experience PTSD from the loss?

I ask because even though I have been deaf since kindergarten (right cochlea fried from fever,left degrading slowly) My left is almost the same as my right and now I feel like my hearing aid (which is almost a year old now) is only helping me so much and feeling like I'm still going through an identity crisis juggling both worlds. I feel like I'm not getting enough clarity, I'm having trouble listening to classical music now and register what instrument is what. I've been feeling a lot of social anxiety, being around people when I don't hear whats being said or don't catch things from lipreading, I freeze up and feel very nervous and tense.

Am I alone in this?

At first I thought I had PTSD but was diagnosed with acquired anxiety disorder... I almost never go out, too panicky over not knowing what's going on

I could see how it would be very possible. PTSD can be caused by a large variety of things including sudden abrupt changes in life. I wouldn't discredit the possibility at all.

My evaluation for a Intensive Outpatient Program meet was.... so-so. My case manager wants me to first try a group therapy..... and she knows I'm deaf but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know I need to at least try it but something tells me I need one on one counseling.

Believe a lot of us late-deafened suffer or have suffered from it. and remember several years back, I did have panic attacks around a lot of people...and I still do avoid large groups...even Walmart...:giggle:...Even now, I have my good days.....along with the bad....The feeling of isolation is always with me, you know?....And at times, have to force myself to get out...among people, knowing it's better for me....

I can handle going out when I'm with people I know better than I handle going out being alone. But if I'm alone I instantly feel anxiety, when someone is talking to me and I don't catch whats being said I tense up and freeze.

I can handle going out when I'm with people I know better than I handle going out being alone. But if I'm alone I instantly feel anxiety, when someone is talking to me and I don't catch whats being said I tense up and freeze.

Is it hard for you to say...or write..."I'm deaf..."?...do you feel that would scare the person off?...You can't expect urself to understand (lip read) everything that is being verbally said to you....*not ur fault*...

I don't mind telling people I'm deaf, or even writing, I don't know why I just feel very freaked out.

Back