Implement an Audism policy in the AD Guidelines

• Yes

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
In my mind, it's a matter of intent. The newbie may be ignorant about deaf issues. An established member who habitually posts offensive material is different.

As a hearing person I have never experienced "deafism" -- That is no one from the Deaf community has ever harassed me for being hearing or the quality of my signs -- If anything they have always code switched sufficiently to accommodate me and have always been willing to help me improve my signing skills. Deaf people seem happy that even though I sometimes have difficulty understanding them -- They always seem to understand me.

To me audism is a one way street: and its most visible form is any attempt to suppress sign language, particularly ASL (I live in USA, California, In Britain it would probably be BSL). I have come to expect this attitude from a percentage of the hearing population and pretty well ignore it. By now I should know to expect it from a percentage of the deaf population as well. But it irks hell out of me when it happens.

When I find a deaf person who is extremely difficult to converse with who puts down ASL I find myself taking the attitude, "I'm not going to spend hours fighting to communicate simple things to you just because you are too lazy to learn sign language."

Which probably makes me a hearing person practicing deafism on a deaf person which is really screwed up.

I don't necessarily agree with you that just because someone has not learned sign language that they are lazy.

You missed an important part of what I said: I emphasized it above.

I can understand a thousand reasons for a deaf person not knowing sign language -- I cannot accept a single reason for a deaf person who is not a skilled oralist looking down on sign language. If a person is a skilled oralist I can understand them being proud of their accomplishment: I will disagree with any disparagement of ASL but I will understand their pride in achieving a difficult goal.

There is a man lives within five miles of here who does everything with handwritten notes because he finds any suggestion he learn ASL "disgusting".

Again, if I understand Deafism correctly, you may never even know that a deaf person distrusts you and believes you are automatically an Audist. It's not something that I think will always manifest itself to be noticeable and we can't read minds.

I don't think that is Deafism. I think that is self preservation. Why would a Deaf person trust me OR ANY OTHER HEARING PERSON until they have been around me a long time and have reason to?

Are you aware of some of the horrible tricks hearing people have played on D/deaf people -- Sometimes while pretending to be their friends.

A certain degree of paranoia in an Deaf/hearing relationship is normal and sane. I accept that. A hearing person has an advantage over a Deaf person and the Deaf person cannot know if it is being used against them until it is too late.

If I went totally deaf tomorrow there are maybe 3 hearing people outside of my wife and daughters I would completely trust.

I can understand a thousand reasons for a deaf person not knowing sign language -- I cannot accept a single reason for a deaf person who is not a skilled oralist looking down on sign language. If a person is a skilled oralist I can understand them being proud of their accomplishment: I will disagree with any disparagement of ASL but I will understand their pride in achieving a difficult goal.

There is a man lives within five miles of here who does everything with handwritten notes because he finds any suggestion he learn ASL "disgusting".

I don't think that is Deafism. I think that is self preservation. Why would a Deaf person trust me OR ANY OTHER HEARING PERSON until they have been around me a long time and have reason to?

Are you aware of some of the horrible tricks hearing people have played on D/deaf people -- Sometimes while pretending to be their friends.

A certain degree of paranoia in an Deaf/hearing relationship is normal and sane. I accept that. A hearing person has an advantage over a Deaf person and the Deaf person cannot know if it is being used against them until it is too late.

If I went totally deaf tomorrow there are maybe 3 hearing people outside of my wife and daughters I would completely trust.

That's right. In fact, I know I would never be part of their type of community, even if my grandma's sisters are deeply rooted in ASL and deaf cultures (they were raised in deaf residential schools)... just like I would never be part of Native American tribes even though I have more Native Americans in my blood than white. And I accept that and respect their community.

I'm glad someone directed my attention this way- I've learned a lot from this thread, despite the feeling of ambiguity present in posts about the subject matter. I didn't even know this Audism principle existed. My eyes have been opened. Thank you.

Reminds me a little bit of when I spent some time in England. People called me a Yankee. I found it to be about the most offensive thing I could have been called for some reason. Most people did it innocently, just something that automatically rolled off their tongue as a descriptor for an American. But some said it with malice, and some to provoke. Looking back, I shouldn't have found the words offensive, but rather the intent.

It's hard to build a policy when the definition isn't clearly agreed upon, and people's intent needs to be built in. If anyone can pull that off, I want them to come write policies for me. :)

Ok, here's my question, under the "Sign language" forum it says these words:

"American Sign Language, English Sign Language or Oralism? Which one is it going to be and why?"

Doesn't that mean that there is supposed to be debate and a difference of opinion? Isn't that the point of that forum? Wouldn't this all be ended if this thread was adopted? Aren't we then defining what opinions and views are acceptable and what aren't?
I don't think there is such a thing as English Sign Language. If they are talking about SEE it is not a language per se but a manual mode of English which is not in and of itself a language. ASL on the other hand is a language that meets linguistic criteria where SEE does not and is only a manual method of a spoken English. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think there is such a thing as English Sign Language. If they are talking about SEE it is not a language per se but a manual mode of English which is not in and of itself a language. ASL on the other hand is a language that meets linguistic criteria where SEE does not and is only a manual method of a spoken English. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

When people say "English Sign Language" in real life, they usually means PSE.

I'm glad someone directed my attention this way- I've learned a lot from this thread, despite the feeling of ambiguity present in posts about the subject matter. I didn't even know this Audism principle existed. My eyes have been opened. Thank you.

Reminds me a little bit of when I spent some time in England. People called me a Yankee. I found it to be about the most offensive thing I could have been called for some reason. Most people did it innocently, just something that automatically rolled off their tongue as a descriptor for an American. But some said it with malice, and some to provoke. Looking back, I shouldn't have found the words offensive, but rather the intent.

It's hard to build a policy when the definition isn't clearly agreed upon, and people's intent needs to be built in. If anyone can pull that off, I want them to come write policies for me. :)
Iowaboy. I commend you for your desire to learn. When I first came to this forum as a hearing father of a deaf son I made many mistakes and assumptions but have learned so much since then. I hope that you keep an open mind, take certain things with a grain of salt but also consider the experiences of others in your learning and decision making process.

Enhancing AVT while downplaying ASL for the Bi-Bi ; the purpose of Bi-Bi is to focus on ASL development.

Bi-Bi is to develop individual students prior ASL skills while enhancing their knowledge of Deaf Culture.

Ernest C Drury School in Milton, ON is the prime example of the Bi-Bi setting. Deaf children use ASL and they are fluent ASL signers; they learn Deaf Studies, ASL syntax and semantics. The older students learn linguistics and Deaf history issues.

Oh it is a fantastic school.

How do you know so much about Milton (other than living in East York).. did you go there? visit? teach?...???
just curious
*EQL*

I understand you. IF a deaf person is putting down ASL then they may be a deaf Audist. Deafisim as I understand it is partially the belief that all hearing people are automatically to be considered Audists.

I am so confused now, that I am afraid to speak up about anything for fear that I will offend someone. Forgive me if I am silent for awhile. It has never been my intention to do the wrong thing in my journey to learn about the deaf community and deaf culture. I apologize now if I came across wrong. I am done.
I don't see anywhere where you have done the wrong thing or offended anyone. Always speak your mind and stand up for what you believe in.

stopping by

I miss this group terribly but when my posts were being buried and censored it was time to go. I have been a hoh for 35 years with my deaf community being my sister who is "worse" than I. See that is the kind of audism that happens just naturally in that kind of isolation and circumstance slugging it out in a world where everyone hears a lot "better". Where promotions don't happen and you work harder to achieve a higher level of workmanship not to please them anymore because they do not matter, but to find personal satisfaction while moving on whenever the it becomes just another negative situation. I keep a wall about way high around me at all times except once in while. I appreciate the learning experience that I have had here but personally do not care about audism or deafism. This is simply another place I do not fit, but like I say I sure thank you for putting up with me while I was here.

I miss this group terribly but when my posts were being buried and censored it was time to go. I have been a hoh for 35 years with my deaf community being my sister who is "worse" than I. See that is the kind of audism that happens just naturally in that kind of isolation and circumstance slugging it out in a world where everyone hears a lot "better". Where promotions don't happen and you work harder to achieve a higher level of workmanship not to please them anymore because they do not matter, but to find personal satisfaction while moving on whenever the it becomes just another negative situation. I keep a wall about way high around me at all times except once in while. I appreciate the learning experience that I have had here but personally do not care about audism or deafism. This is simply another place I do not fit, but like I say I sure thank you for putting up with me while I was here.

Dude... why are you going? Stick around.

inspirabull - your posts in other threads especially political and general humor me. don't worry about your posts being removed. the change we need is long overdue so stick around, man :cool2:

Deafisim as I understand it is partially the belief that all hearing people are automatically to be considered Audists.

I think of it more like the Indianism of many Native Americans which I am more used to.

When I was young full blood Indians who lived on the reservations considered themselves the "Real Indians".

Full blood Indians who lived in towns were considered "fake Indians" townies, or apples and even "white mans Indians".

Half breeds who looked Indian were considered to be even less than townies.

Half breeds like myself who look white were considered to be the lowest class of Indian possible.

Yet even those who considered themselves "Real Indians" never told me I was a product of miscegenation or an "Abomination before God, man, and nature" as some of the whites did. Nor did they tell me my mother should have killed herself before she allowed one of "them" to touch her.

So I guess "whitism" exists as well.

This is simply another place I do not fit, but like I say I sure thank you for putting up with me while I was here.

Why do you care if you fit?

Read above. I have never seen a time or a place in my life where I fit -- And I grew to love my position as outsider.

You can too.

Your friends will still be your friends and those who are not your friends do not count.

well damn. 235 posts and I'm late in the game. Maybe I'll post something. Maybe not.

Here's an example of an issue that arises with new members. In this case, I believe that we should educate a newbie and give her a chance to learn more about our community.

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/75813-un-tye-me.html#post1540872

I often get pms from people who want to make friends with me yet they have zero posts in this forum so I will report them to the mods. They nearly always turn out to be scammers.

My last vistor message is from someone who claims to be an ASL student and he has zero posts on this forum. I reported him to the mods but he seems to be kosher to them but I'm not taking any chances since he still has not posted on this forum.

In my mind, it's a matter of intent. The newbie may be ignorant about deaf issues. An established member who habitually posts offensive material is different.

You just defined it perfectly right here- "habitually posts offensive material"; an audist knows he/she offends his/her community and doesn't care about the damage.

A newcomer is unaware and learns as he/she posts.

There's a huge difference.

:hug: Thank you for this example; using a disparaging word to another person, unaware of the true meaning- this is where it does help to find out the real definition.

Education is vital to everyone.

There is no such thing as English Sign Language - it would be known as Signed Exact English. SEE itself like RD mentions it's not a language of the Deaf Community.

How do you know so much about Milton (other than living in East York).. did you go there? visit? teach?...???
just curious
*EQL*

Hi EQL, there are two generations of my family that goes to ECD- my oldest sister and I went to ECD when we were younger; my niece and nephew are at ECD now.

I lived in Milton for quite a few years; I am very involved with my niece and nephew's education.

ECD holds the highest honour from me as the best Bi-Bi education as they continue to improve each year.

I am encouraging you all as a community to sign the "Be Responsible and On-going Investigation of Cochlear Implants" [URL="encourages you all as a community to sign the "Be Responsible and On-going Investigation of Cochlear Implants" petition handed to FDA (Food and Drugs Administration) by AFA (Audism Free America). I'm #905. Do you part, please.

To: Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Dear Commissioner Hamburg,

Audism Free America (AFA) requests that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) establish an independent and impartial investigation into the long term physical, psychological, social and cultural impact of the surgical insertion of cochlear implants (unilateral and bilateral) into the bodies of infants, children and youth.

The current research related to cochlear implant surgery has focused on medical issues and auditory functioning and has been undertaken by doctors. Yet, even medical risks associated with the surgery do not appear to be fully reported. The psychological and linguistic development of Deaf children is not solely a medical matter; there are issues of language acquisition, socialization, and psychological well-being; these have received very little attention. Thus, it is essential that the FDA-formed group conducting this impartial investigation must include Deaf and other individuals who are knowledgeable about Deaf culture, American Sign Language, human rights, audism* and linguicism (language based form of audism) since these are presently absent from the current research. There must be full transparency, full disclosure and an assurance of no built-in bias.

*Audism is attitudes and practices based on the assumption that behaving in the ways of those who speak and hear is desired and best. It produces a system of privilege, thus resulting in stigma, bias, discrimination, and prejudice‹in overt or covert ways‹against Deaf culture, American Sign Language, and Deaf people of all walks of life.

Many scholars have referred to the recent proliferation of cochlear implant surgeries coupled with the oral / aural only movement (prohibiting of signing and over-emphasis on auditory technology) as a form of eugenics that may lead to cultural and linguistic genocide of Deaf Americans. Because these infants and children are unable to give informed consent and are being denied a fully natural and accessible language, cochlear implant surgeries have also been identified as being a violation of human and linguistic rights. Clearly, the FDA needs a more in depth consideration of the moral and ethical issues associated with cochlear implants.

Given that the FDA is responsible to ensure the safety and effectiveness of these devices and protect the rights of citizens:

We, the undersigned, call for Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to immediately initiate an impartial and independent investigation into the physical, psychological, social and cultural impact of cochlear implants on Deaf infants, children and youth.
Sincerely,

The Undersigned

The petition - http://www.petitiononline.com/AFA62509/

Back