Progressive Hearing Loss

littledhampirtori

Reaction score
I just found out that I am slowly losing my hearing. They aren't sure how long I have until I completely lose my hearing. I have always been interested in ASL, but now I really want to learn it so that I can communicate.

I'm very into music and my diagnosis has really been upsetting me because I feel like I am losing a major part of my life. Others that have lost their hearing, how did you adapt and emotionally deal with that change?

Just keep swimming keep swimming keep swimming. My loss is progressive, or I guess I should say was, don't really anymore hearing to lose really. I have between 5 and 20 decibels I could lose across the different frequencies and hen I'd be at 120 decibels loss for all frequencies.

Learning ASL would def be a good start. I haven't really myself. I've dabbled a bit, but you can't really learn it dabbling, but it's a bit more complicated when you start losing your hearing as an adult than when you're born deaf. I honk so anyway.

I don't really have any good advice for how to adapt, cope, you just got roll with it. Utilize any tools that can help you communicate..... Hearings aids, CI's if you qualify, speech reading.

There's this thread too, I've never read through the whole thing but I'm sure you might find something helpful in there...http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/62953-adjustment-late-onset-deafness.html

Hi,

Well I'm hearing and learning. If you want to practice with me. I'm at the lowest level of learning but I want to. I have skype, its Kathycrc. Hope you call, and I think the thing i would miss the most of hearing is music but would do my best to see the change as gaining a new perspective of live.

Catherine.

I used to play instruments and listen to music a lot. Now I listen mostly to things I know and love, and don't play anymore. I can't really say I miss it that much though. I enjoy music less, so I miss it less -- does that make sense? I know people always think 'ooooooh I'll miss music' but I've found that the day to day actual complications far outweigh music. I'm worried about hearing at the store, etc, and being able to understand my kids and husband; not catching lyrics on a song doesn't really register too much.

There's an old saying 'Don't borrow trouble' and I try not to. Life is very full -- when the music goes, that spot and time will be filled with something else you enjoy.

I miss music, not that I think bout it all the time. I can listen to old CD's stuff I'm familiar with, but nothing new. Which is a bummer because I have this feeling I would really like Bruno Mars and Adele. I bought the Dave Matthews CD a couple years ago and it was just noise to me. I also still get the urge to go out and do some Karaoke, I used to do that all the time and loved it!! I was hoping my new aids would help with that, but nope.

I miss music, not that I think bout it all the time. I can listen to old CD's stuff I'm familiar with, but nothing new. Which is a bummer because I have this feeling I would really like Bruno Mars and Adele. I bought the Dave Matthews CD a couple years ago and it was just noise to me. I also still get the urge to go out and do some Karaoke, I used to do that all the time and loved it!! I was hoping my new aids would help with that, but nope.

I suggest you get the lyrics to the songs and listen while you read. You may be able to pick out the lyrics once you are familiar with them.

Also, if you are turning your Ipod/music player volume up all the way it is creating distortion and you won't be able to hear through it. I've found if I have the volume at low level the songs are clearer.

I started losing my hearing in my mid 20's. It is upsetting, I understand. My loss is also progressive. I have been learning ASL for a few years now. I am glad to be learning it. It isn't easy to learn when you grow up as a hearing person. I am lucky to be able to have people to sign with in real life scenarios three days a week.

Enjoy all the music you can while you can. I read somewhere that Beethoven turned his tinnitis into the some of the greatest compositions written. :cool2:

I started losing my hearing in my mid 20's. It is upsetting, I understand. My loss is also progressive. I have been learning ASL for a few years now. I am glad to be learning it. It isn't easy to learn when you grow up as a hearing person. I am lucky to be able to have people to sign with in real life scenarios three days a week.

I don't really have anyone in real life to practice with, which is one thing that makes it harder learning ASL. I'm trying to find more people to practice with via Skype. There isn't a Deaf community where I live that I'm aware of.

my hearing loss is also progressive too! (I was mild/moderate as a baby, went into moderate/severe from 3rd grade into borderline severe when I was in my 2nd year of high school and now, my right ear is at the severe rate while my left is moderate/severe)
:)
don't worry, everyone may be on the same boat.

I just found out that I am slowly losing my hearing. They aren't sure how long I have until I completely lose my hearing. I have always been interested in ASL, but now I really want to learn it so that I can communicate.

I'm very into music and my diagnosis has really been upsetting me because I feel like I am losing a major part of my life. Others that have lost their hearing, how did you adapt and emotionally deal with that change?
Same here! I cannot imagine life without music...

I used to be able to carry a conversation until about 8 years ago. I don't know sign language and can't read lips. I find very few people know sign language in my area and it is disappointing. I fell that governments should be making sign language a mandatory course in school

I also had a love for music when I started really losing my hearing I continued to listen to music with heavy bass. Aside from that, I listened to tunes that I knew well, the '80s, '90s upbeat music which helped me hear the sounds better. It is hard when you really enjoy music but you learn to adapt. Things I can recommend for you are using headphones with deep bass, noise cancelling and never play the music louder than you need it. My hearing loss is rather unique so my ideas for you might not work but are something you can try.

I lost mine completely at around 35 years old. But the first time, I was 14. I got a hearing aid at 15.I didnt cope very well. I shut myself off from everyone for a full year. I dont think you ever truly accept the loss, you just learn to accept what you cant change.

Back