Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

Need to be assessed by a professional again. You will never hear like a teenager, period.
But being CI, I haven’t understood speaking like I do now in 35 years.
So if you are a candidate, it can help you.
FWIW. I threw away the HA for my outher ear. Once I got a CI it was horrible, and hurt my hearing.

I've been doing this online training for my new job, which, unfortunately, has no captions/subtitles. O_O Yeah, my CI ears and brain are working overtime trying to comprehend what I'm hearing.... so far not too bad, but I have to take breaks in between sections. Even the section that lasts 1-hour is sometimes too much.

I've been doing this online training for my new job, which, unfortunately, has no captions/subtitles. O_O Yeah, my CI ears and brain are working overtime trying to comprehend what I'm hearing.... so far not too bad, but I have to take breaks in between sections. Even the section that lasts 1-hour is sometimes too much.
We have online training at my work. Some of them are yearly. If no captions/subtitles I look to see if they have a transcript included. Many do. If none of those, when I get the survey at the end I will point out they need one of them for the deaf/HoH.

We have online training at my work. Some of them are yearly. If no captions/subtitles I look to see if they have a transcript included. Many do. If none of those, when I get the survey at the end I will point out they need one of them for the deaf/HoH.
I emailed the support of the training website and they didn't have anything (they told me they haven't had enough requests/need for captions/transcripts). But there is some text on the slides, so I can figure out the general idea of what is being said on each slide.

I emailed the support of the training website and they didn't have anything (they told me they haven't had enough requests/need for captions/transcripts). But there is some text on the slides, so I can figure out the general idea of what is being said on each slide.
You should reply back that they shouldn’t need any requests - that they should have it regardless. How are the going to know when someone will need it.
I often think about how it should be included even for hearing people. I do my training in my cubby. Though we have headsets we can use to listen, not all employees have headsets so they might disturb they coworkers if they have the volume up.

i am getting BAHA surgery in January of next year. i havent heard anything since i was born completely deaf. They fix hearing bones on right ear...Left ear remain deaf....to the point of profound hearing loss. now i wait...how long will my wait be for to approve surgery??

be careful. I just had a CI that failed. My story is here: //cihorrorstory.com

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I have had no issues since I was implanted and DeafDucky is correct, 5 years and still going strong. :mrgreen:

I really enjoyed your blog. As others have noted, you have an very engaging writing style. It was a very nice read.

I really enjoyed your blog. As others have noted, you have an very engaging writing style. It was a very nice read.

Why thank you. I haven't updated it since the last post last year... :aw:

i am getting BAHA surgery in January of next year. i havent heard anything since i was born completely deaf. They fix hearing bones on right ear...Left ear remain deaf....to the point of profound hearing loss. now i wait...how long will my wait be for to approve surgery??
BAHAs are for single sided deafness or conductive deafness which by definition can never be profound. People born without external ears or ear canals can hear loud sounds. If I recall correctly the maximum pure conductive hearing loss is 60dB.

Back