Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

One footnote to krazykatkitty's post-reality. Not every "deaf" person can use a Cochlear Implant. From very direct experience here In Toronto-Sunnybrook: Cochlear Implant section: over 60% of all persons sent to them for consideration of Implantation were REJECTED for one reason or other- the physical state of one's ear etc.

This information was given at a meeting of successful patients last year-their experience over the last 19 years. In the same time 850 people were successful of which I was one.

Sunnybrook is one of the 3 centres in Ontario which do Cochlear Implant operations-for adults. ( London & Ottawa are the others)( Babies/children: Hospital for Sick Kids/Toronto & Ottawa)

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

One footnote to krazykatkitty's post-reality. Not every "deaf" person can use a Cochlear Implant. From very direct experience here In Toronto-Sunnybrook: Cochlear Implant section: over 60% of all persons sent to them for consideration of Implantation were REJECTED for one reason or other- the physical state of one's ear etc.

This information was given at a meeting of successful patients last year-their experience over the last 19 years. In the same time 850 people were successful of which I was one.

Sunnybrook is one of the 3 centres in Ontario which do Cochlear Implant operations-for adults. ( London & Ottawa are the others)( Babies/children: Hospital for Sick Kids/Toronto & Ottawa)

What kind of 'reasons' do you know of?

Agreed.

Oh Yeah it does!! A very big jump. About 20 times louder. CI got a nice clear and crisper sound. HA got a muffled sounds.
To me, it's not so much louder, but crisper. And also hearing more sounds, including some that you weren't with just the HA's.

After discussing with my friends, few of them have CI's and one on its way for surgery. One of my friend has rasied a good question. As an CI user, if you got into trouble that your heart needed to be defibrillated (Defibrillator) to get the heart working again. Would the defibrillator affect the C.I if this happens?

After discussing with my friends, few of them have CI's and one on its way for surgery. One of my friend has rasied a good question. As an CI user, if you got into trouble that your heart needed to be defibrillated (Defibrillator) to get the heart working again. Would the defibrillator affect the C.I if this happens?

I don't have a CI.

I think this was discussed before in another thread.

If they don't use the defibrillator, then you don't need the CI anymore. :shock:
So I think most would want the defibrillator used and deal with the any CI issue later. :hmm:

You can use both external and internal (ICDs/Pacemakers) defibrillation if you have a CI -- unless you decide to put them on either side of your head. :eek3:
These are placed on the chest area and the current is limited to the tissues between the defibrillator electrodes. Has no effect on the implant.

JClarke: Other than physical "problems" re implants what is the person's attitude themselves re on being implanted. I understand "some" are there because of "family pressure". Do something about your deafness.

Personally I can't verify this but understand this has happened.

While waiting for Cochlear Implant process at Sunnybrook/Toronto I met a fellow with "heart troubles" and was forced to wait a year BEFORE the operation. He was operated with a heart doctor there who was used. He survived-according to him-barely!. Since then happy with his implant.

Presumably similar events at other Cochlear Implant centres,

You can use both external and internal (ICDs/Pacemakers) defibrillation if you have a CI -- unless you decide to put them on either side of your head. :eek3:
These are placed on the chest area and the current is limited to the tissues between the defibrillator electrodes. Has no effect on the implant.

Well thank you very much.

'Rebuilt' by Michael Chorost

Was given this book about CI a few years ago, but only starting reading it this week, finishing it about five minutes ago. It was this thread that gave me the curiosity to pick up this book and blow the dust off.
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebuilt-Becoming-Part-Computer-Human/dp/0285637509/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806613&sr=8-2]Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Chorost: Books[/ame]

I thought it was going to be a bit boring and filled with baffling technological jargon, but instead I was gripped by this book - making use of every spare moment to read it. The full title on my hardback copy is 'Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human' which I think is better than the paperback title 'Rebuilt: My Journey Back To The Hearing World', because Michael Chorost explores the human ramifications of wearing his CI alongside the technical explanations. I was moved by his journey towards becoming a better human being, which is how he described the effect of the CI upon him. There are some interesting philosophical questions he explores such as "What is reality?" when an upgrade to his CI software changes the sounds of objects around him.

If you're interested in having a CI, then I would recommend reading this. Has anyone else read this book? I remember drphil writing in a post somewhere about this book.
(BTW the book is not written in a hostile tone towards Deaf culture)

AJWSmith: I have read Michael Chorost's book-"Rebuilt" a few times over the last 4 years. His description of what happened to him "rings true to me". I disagree that a processor "changes your thinking"- this is not my perception. Nothing changed after my Implantation in July/07. Cyberborgs notwithstanding. Chorost book is centered in the USA 2005. His discussion re "cultural" deaf is interesting. Also, his thoughts about the decrease going on right now in the United States brought on by Cochlear Implants. The comment re Arthur/Philip Atelio _National Association of the Deaf- 50 years from now-disappearance.

I

I have also read Beverly Biderman book"Wired for Sound" a journey into Hearing 1998. As well as Life after Deafness Bena Shuster. 1995. These 2 books are Canadian.

The above is a "byproduct" of CHS Hearing Help classes since 1992,

I'm confused. Is profoundly deaf the same a s a person with a profound hearing loss?

Sorry for not updating this thread in ages.

I recently went back to Sydney for my EABR testing for my right ear however I have done my left ear and it wasn't successful. But to the appointment for my right ear, it was successful when I heard two different sounds. One high pitch sound and second; alarm whooping like noise. This has been an interesting result because this tells me that I have some auditory nerve left. So now, I am moving to the next step, balance testing and MRI/CT Scan

Well??? Hi there. Do you have a date for getting CI? Also, I just remembered Pinky getting a CI.

She talked about hearing lots of things right away. She hasn't posted here in a long while though.

An update from Sunnybrook/Toronto to Sept/11. Patients interviewed-3000, implanted 950 and only 18 have had their Implant removed. The time frame almost 20 years.
The meeting was last week.

An update from Sunnybrook/Toronto to Sept/11. Patients interviewed-3000, implanted 950 and only 18 have had their Implant removed. The time frame almost 20 years.
The meeting was last week.

one in 53...... :hmm:

The actual reality at Sunnybrook/Toronto not exactly as "discussed" here. I suspect similar results at other centres. It is easy to key on computers however one's condition:"deafness" is very specific for each person which ENT doctors must deal with.

Abstract discussion in ideology-notwithstanding.

Back