Production of Cyrano in ASL

Grayma

Reaction score
Linke below, and here's an excerpt from the article:

On the heels of eight sold-out weeks of performances and rave reviews, The Fountain Theatre and Deaf West Theatre have announced a final three-week extension of Cyrano. The modern-day signed/spoken adaptation of “Cyrano de Bergerac,” co-produced by the two multiple award-winning companies, will continue Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 pm and Sundays at 2 pm through July 29.

Written by Fountain Theatre co-artistic director Stephen Sachs (Bakersfield Mist) and directed by Fountain producing director Simon Levy, Cyrano stars Deaf West actor Troy Kostsur in the title role as a brilliant deaf poet hopelessly in love with Roxy, a beautiful hearing woman who loves poetry. But Roxy doesn't understand sign language and instead loves Chris, his hearing brother. Can Cyrano express his love to Roxy with his hands? Or must he teach Chris to woo her, to “speak his words” for him? American Sign Language (ASL) becomes the language of love in this new spin on a classic love story.

“We feel that it’s important to share the play with as many audiences as we possibly can, for as long as we possibly can,” says Deaf West artistic director David Kurs, who co-produces with Fountain Theatre co-artistic director Deborah Lawlor and Laura Hill.

“Seeing the play and this production has meant a great deal to many, many people,” agrees Lawlor. “They are coming back a second time, bringing more friends and family, telling more people. For many, it is more than just seeing a play; it’s having an experience that they will remember for the rest of their lives. What greater purpose is there for us, as artists?”

Read more: CYRANO Gets Final 3 Week Extension at Fountain Theatre

If you live in Southern Cal, I hope you get to see it. It looks really great.

My deaf friend from work went to see it last week and loved it. FYI, there are only 90 seats in the small theatre.

My wife and I are going on the 24th to see it.. Most of their performances end up getting rave reviews. Last one I saw there was Big River..

Back