Problems with Advanced Bionics Naida CI

Thanks for the info. I guess that's good to hear, though it may be too early to know the results. One of of my biggest concerns is the tradeoff for reliability. Given the cost of parts, reliability is important. AB's web page says their procesors only have a 3 year warranty, which somewhat conflicts with other info I've seen (eg comparison chart). If insurance wont cover replacement after an expired warranty then reliability is even more important. This is of course not to say competing brands dont have similar issues, though I have anecdotally seen fewer of those..

The warranties across the manufacturers are the same. Where people are confused over is that new implantees with surgery get the five year warranty on their processors. "Upgraders" get 3 years. The difference is AB was quite plain about it.

Reliability is very close across the big three as well. There are some silly charts that some manufacturers use that zoom in on the results where they peak, making it look like there is a significant difference.

The warranties across the manufacturers are the same. Where people are confused over is that new implantees with surgery get the five year warranty on their processors. "Upgraders" get 3 years. The difference is AB was quite plain about it.

Reliability is very close across the big three as well. There are some silly charts that some manufacturers use that zoom in on the results where they peak, making it look like there is a significant difference.
Also those with Medicare get 5 year processor warranty because it's required by Medicare. After 5 years you are qualified for replacement w your co-pay

There have been many comments relating to batteries and processor performance in earlier replies many of which are related to the "hostile" sweaty environment which is behind the ear. I have a three year old Harmony which seemed ok at first then slowly the problems started. At first it was the occasional crackle which later became an on/off problem. There was no problem with the 'T' mic although the audiologist changed it. I traced the problem to the batteries. There was some big time corrosion/erosion going on both inside the battery and in the terminals. Inside the battery the terminals are connected to the battery cell by a flexible copper track. This track is protected on both sides within a plastic membrane rather like a sandwich. However, at the point where the track is joined (soldered) to the internal part of the pin the copper is exposed and is eroded by the sweat which can easily get to it. This is the point where the track will fracture resulting in a poor to nonexistent connection. Hence the crackling and on/off effect. There is also another problem which is related to the connector sockets and that is a build up of corrosion inside the sockets. This corrosion comes from what seems to be a plated copper strip used to hold the connector sockets in position. This plated copper strip is connected to the negative side of the battery cell and is within half a millimeter of the positive connector socket. Every drop of sweat which finds it's way into this area will cause the copper strip to erode resulting in the production of copper oxide. It is this copper oxide which finds it's way into the connector and makes for an intermittent connection between the battery sockets and the processor pins. A note about the chemistry involved. Sweat is salty water (sodium chloride) which is ion rich and will conduct electrons easily between the positive and negative battery connections resulting in the reduction of the negative copper and the production of copper oxide.

I am fortunate that I have the knowledge, skills and the equipment to recognise and fix these problems. My only concerns are that AB who have such a good reputation for implants and processor design should have paid so little attention to the power source.

You all should really consider filing complaints with the FDA. If they get multiple complaints, they will look into this. The benefit is if they determine there is a design flaw they are more likely to make AB replace the processors even if yours dont fail or if they are out of warranty. Think of the FDA like the NTSB companies often don't do vehicle recalls for a defect until the NTSB forces them to,

You all should really consider filing complaints with the FDA. If they get multiple complaints, they will look into this. The benefit is if they determine there is a design flaw they are more likely to make AB replace the processors even if yours dont fail or if they are out of warranty. Think of the FDA like the NTSB companies often don't do vehicle recalls for a defect until the NTSB forces them to,
I haven't been here for some years. Now, I'd like to add a couple of updates as I'm still having problems with the processor
and I use the drier as directed. Thank southpaw for the recommendation. southpaw is right.

The company just sends replacement parts and I never knew what the failure was (unless
I guessed), constantly replacing parts w/out knowing what the issue was won't stop the problems.

I've also seen that people wear other brand processors in a lot of humidity and have no issues. But this one continues to what degree other than my own experience, I don't know how many people still have problems as I do but it appears this is going on.
The FDA, with enough complaints, will delve into this and determine if it is, indeed a problem.

I also asked somewhere about getting the Q90 due to the problems but was told there's not enough of a difference between the Q70 and 90.

1. southpaw recommended contacting the FDA. I'm usually careful about making waves because one doesn't know
how the company may react. But I've also seen complaints about the numerous times other people have returned
the processor from different people on different websites.
2. I sent a vague note (didn't name a company) to the FDA based and here's their response:

If you have not done so already, I urge you to formally report your experience to us. The FDA has an adverse event reporting program called MedWatch. This program is one of the main reporting systems available to consumers. It provides consumers with an opportunity to report adverse events to the FDA.

Reports of problems submitted to FDA by consumers are an important part of the agency’s strategy for identifying risks with products after they’ve reached the market. These reports help FDA protect the health and safety of all Americans—and can ultimately save lives. Through the tracking of these reports, FDA can determine if there are problems by looking for patterns that may indicate the need to warn consumers or even the need to withdraw a product from the market. Your report may be the critical action that prompts a modification in the use or design of the product.

1. Please use the link below to formally report your experience to us.

MedWatch Reporting:http://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch/default.htm

http://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch/default.htm

Also those with Medicare get 5 year processor warranty because it's required by Medicare. After 5 years you are qualified for replacement w your co-pay
Bleeding Purist: Thanks for the quick hope. But I contacted the DME dept. there (xxx medical equipment) and they do not care about lack of quality
and the ongoing parts failure - they're interested in fraud. There isn't anything out there about a five-year warranty. Right now,
all we can do is notify the FDA and it can be done anonymously.

Tiemen has hit the nail on the head. I also found the same battery problems but in relation to the Harmony. The batteries are not made by AB but are contracted out to another company whose name I can't remember. I operated on all my batteries by replacing the printed track with fine insulated copper wire which became a good fix. I now also use silicone grease generously applied to the contacts and surrounding area to ensure my sweat does not come into contact with any of the electrical parts of the battery. It seems to have fixed that issue. I have had no intermittent crackles or power outages for over a year now. I did attempt to go the FDA route but there was no interest from them because I live in Thailand and they are only responsive to residents of the U.S. The silicone grease I use is also used to lubricate the 'O' rings in diving equipment so it is not difficult to get and my 20g tub will last me a very very long time.

My Nadia has just failed after 5 years and three months. Just past the five year warranty expired. It just operates for a few seconds then shuts off with bright red indicator light. Coincidently, my internal implant has failed and I am scheduled for re-implantation surgery in four days. Presumably I will get the new speech processor for my activation two weeks later. Not fun going essentially deaf again.

My Nadia has just failed after 5 years and three months. Just past the five year warranty expired. It just operates for a few seconds then shuts off with bright red indicator light. Coincidently, my internal implant has failed and I am scheduled for re-implantation surgery in four days. Presumably I will get the new speech processor for my activation two weeks later. Not fun going essentially deaf again.
I’ve had several Q90s external processors fail, mostly in the summer due to high humidity, but last summer I took it off outside, came in, put it back on and sound and voices were garbled, like underwater. AB sent another, and the same thing happened. I went to my audiologist, told her about the distortion and that the internal part seemed to be “popping and pinging”. Well, two AB techs made a surprise appearance, ran a few tests, and concluded that everything was fine and that I must be lying. Now I’ve got the damn thing in my head and is useless.

How did your people determine that the internal implant had failed?????? Thanks, a LOT, I’m flummoxed! CraigE

I was originally implanted in 2014 with a Q70–had nothing but problems with it, so it was upgraded to a Q90. Since then, I’ve had several external processors fail, mostly in the summer due to high humidity, but last summer I took it off before I worked up a sweat outside, came in, put it back on, but sound and voices were garbled, like underwater. AB sent another, and the same thing happened. I went to my audiologist, told her about the distortion and that the internal part seemed to be “popping and pinging”. Well, two AB techs made a surprise appearance, ran a few tests, and concluded that everything was fine and that I must be lying. I left humiliated and crying (I’m a 69-year old white guy) Now I’ve got the damn thing in my head and it’s useless.

HELP!

Last edited:
Back