Prisoner Transport Bus Used for Cemetery Visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pek1

Reaction score
BURR OAK CEMETERY - SCATTERED BODIES - iReport.com

Take a look at this video and notice that a prisoner transport bus is used to give visitors at a cemetery rides. The bus has bars on the windows and notice that only African-Americans get off it. Near the end of the video, a white man, supposedly from the sheriff's department talks to the passengers and yes, they're all African-American.

I thought we did away with racism in the USA?

BURR OAK CEMETERY - SCATTERED BODIES - iReport.com

Take a look at this video and notice that a prisoner transport bus is used to give visitors at a cemetery rides. The bus has bars on the windows and notice that only African-Americans get off it. Near the end of the video, a white man, supposedly from the sheriff's department talks to the passengers and yes, they're all African-American.

I thought we did away with racism in the USA?

Here's a better source:

Burr Oak Cemetery: Relatives of 7,000 people buried in site near Alsip seek information on grave sites -- chicagotribune.com

It explains the situation much better than ireport.com did. Pek1, have you forgotten that we cannot hear what is being said in the video and there are no captions on the video from the link you gave us? Give us an article instead, or at least a video with good captions, and one from a reputable source instead.

The situation has to do with the cemetery workers and their wrongdoings - digging up the bodies from over 200 graves, dumping them into an unmarked mass grave, and then reselling the old plots to others for their future burials. I think it has more to do with profits (scams) than with racism - I think it just looks like racism because this is a cemetery where bodies of mainly African American people have been historically buried there over the last many decades, especially before the segregation laws were done away with, and so there were still so many bodies of African American people from before the segregation laws were done away with and many family members of those people probably wanted to continue to use the same cemetery so they could be buried next to their loved ones and family members and their ancestors. This is what it sounds like to me according to this part of the article:

Around him, dozens of middle-age and elderly African-Americans sat at desks lining the school's corridors, clutching photocopied obituaries and other documents as they completed the paperwork.

I think it was the workers of the cemetery who did all the wrongdoing and digging up the dead and re-burying them in a large mass grave and reselling the old plots to other people who wanted to be buried there in the future when they die - reusing the same plots for profits instead of buying new land or using what they have left of the cemetery land to bury newly decreased people, you know what I mean? The workers were doing a huge scam on all those people, both dead and their families. I hope those workers are bought to justice and charged for their wrongdoing. I know that if the workers at the cemetery in Wisconsin where my late mother is buried dug up her body and threw her remains into a mass grave I'd be red hot pissed, too!

I do still have to say that using a prisoner bus instead of a yellow school bus to transport visitors to the cemetery is quite odd and and quite inappropriate, but it may have to do with the ongoing investigation and how the investigation is being conducted. I will have to do a little bit of googling to find out why using a prisoner bus was necessary than a good old yellow school bus.

EDIT:

More information on the history of Burr Oak Cemetary - it was Chicago's first African American Cemetary, which would explain why all the people who were on the bus in Pek1's video were all African Americans.

Source: http://graveyards.com/IL/Cook/burroak/index.html

Last edited:
Here's a better source:

Burr Oak Cemetery: Relatives of 7,000 people buried in site near Alsip seek information on grave sites -- chicagotribune.com

It explains the situation much better than ireport.com did. Pek1, have you forgotten that we cannot hear what is being said in the video and there are no captions on the video from the link you gave us?

I do still have to say that using a prisoner bus instead of a yellow school bus to transport visitors to the cemetery is quite odd and and quite inappropriate, but it may have to do with the ongoing investigation and how the investigation is being conducted.

EDIT:

More information on the history of Burr Oak Cemetary - it was Chicago's first African American Cemetary, which would explain why all the people who were on the bus in Pek1's video were all African Americans.

Source: Burr Oak Cemetery - graveyards.com

Lucia,

I didn't mean to offend, but I only showed that video for viewers to see the bus being used. No way and not in a million years would they use a bus like that in a white person cemetery, which is precisely my point.

Thanks for the updated link. The one I got was actually from CNN.

Lucia,

I didn't mean to offend, but I only showed that video for viewers to see the bus being used. No way and not in a million years would they use a bus like that in a white person cemetery, which is precisely my point.

Thanks for the updated link. The one I got was actually from CNN.

No, you got the video from the www.ireport.com website with "CNN" stamped on the video. Not all that reputable.

Anyway, I will agree with you about the bus, and I also will say that it still is quite inappropriate to use a prison bus even at an African American cemetery. I don't understand why they chose to use a prison bus and why it was necessary. I am still looking for a reputable source about the bus and why they chose to use that kind of bus. I think they should never have used a prison bus at all in the first place.

No offense or anything, pek.

You have journalist stamped under your handlename.

You need to do more research before you do gross generalisations.

:werd:

take your own advice Pete

People, if we're quoting someone or a website, it needs to be factual and unedited for credibility. Your own credibility is called into account and I don't think I know anyone who wants to be known as a gossip and spreading stuff found on the Internet that's not factual. I'd be out of a job if I did that and my paper would lose credibility. That's not a good thing.

It's from CNN, they use it all the time themselves. I did notice that the voiceover is not a trained reporter though, because of the quality of it. I normally don't use stuff like this, but, as I said, CNN's bug was on it.

It's from CNN, they use it all the time themselves. I did notice that the voiceover is not a trained reporter though, because of the quality of it. I normally don't use stuff like this, but, as I said, CNN's bug was on it.

Three flaws I would like to point out that a well-educated journalist would not make in his/her career.

1-
No way and not in a million years would they use a bus like that in a white person cemetery, which is precisely my point.

2-
I did notice that the voiceover is not a trained reporter though, because of the quality of it.

3-
I normally don't use stuff like this, but, as I said, CNN's bug was on it.

You used a link from a website well known for its unedited and unfiltered content.

iReport.com is a user-generated site. That means the stories submitted by users are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only stories marked "On CNN" have been vetted for use in CNN news coverage.

A well-educated and reputable journalist wouldn't be quoting sources or links from iReport.

I would like to remind you of your own words.

People, if we're quoting someone or a website, it needs to be factual and unedited for credibility. Your own credibility is called into account and I don't think I know anyone who wants to be known as a gossip and spreading stuff found on the Internet that's not factual. I'd be out of a job if I did that and my paper would lose credibility. That's not a good thing.

I don't think I need to say anymore. :aw:

Bat Boy is all grown up and works for iReport

Look he has come a long way from his reclusive humble early life
batboy_1_2.jpg

*J/K - I Love Bat Boy Stories* Bot Boy Rules!!* :P

Is it more appreciate to use yellow school bus to transport them instead of prison bus?

I do still have to say that using a prisoner bus instead of a yellow school bus to transport visitors to the cemetery is quite odd and and quite inappropriate, but it may have to do with the ongoing investigation and how the investigation is being conducted. I will have to do a little bit of googling to find out why using a prisoner bus was necessary than a good old yellow school bus.

maybe it had to do with budget. school buses are usually owned by private transportation companies and are contracted, rented or hired for a fee. a prision bus is owned is owned by local or state law enforcement agencies. with the economy being what it is, cutting costs must be made anyway possible. :dunno2:

politically correct, no. cheaper, yes

Actually there could be a reason why the police bus was used.

Those people were family members searching for missing grave markers of their deceased family members. Over 200-300 bodies were dug up and dumped into a mass grave by 4 people for financial gain. Some were dismembered.

Prosecutors said 200 to 300 bodies were dug up and dumped in an isolated, weedy area of a cemetery at which many prominent African-Americans are buried, including civil rights icon Emmett Till. Exposed bones, chunks of concrete and broken coffins litter the hilly, overgrown area about four blocks long, authorities said.
Former cemetery manager Carolyn Towns, 49, foreman Keith Nicks, 45, and dump-truck operator Terrence Nicks, 39, all of Chicago, and back-hoe operator Maurice Dailey, 59, of Robbins, were each charged with dismembering a human body, a Class X felony. All face up to 30 years in prison.

The cemetery is closed until August 1st so federal investigators can try to track down the missing bodies.

African-American families didn't have the authority to properly bury their dead until after slavery, and then many families were fragmented across the United States. It was at segregated, black-only cemeteries where they could rejoin loved ones to wait in peace until "the rapture" -- where their bodies would rejoin their spirits for a journey to the afterlife.

This is why so many families kept burying their loved ones in the same cemetery in hopes of reuniting the whole clan together.

source - Chicago Breaking News

Three flaws I would like to point out that a well-educated journalist would not make in his/her career.

1-

2-

3-

You used a link from a website well known for its unedited and unfiltered content.

A well-educated and reputable journalist wouldn't be quoting sources or links from iReport.

I would like to remind you of your own words.

I don't think I need to say anymore. :aw:

Thank you, Mrs. Bucket!

maybe it had to do with budget. school buses are usually owned by private transportation companies and are contracted, rented or hired for a fee. a prision bus is owned is owned by local or state law enforcement agencies. with the economy being what it is, cutting costs must be made anyway possible. :dunno2:

politically correct, no. cheaper, yes

You could be right. We all don't know exactly for sure why the prison bus was used except for all who were involved in the investigation and the family members of the dead people who were buried at that cemetary.

Actually there could be a reason why the police bus was used.

Those people were family members searching for missing grave markers of their deceased family members. Over 200-300 bodies were dug up and dumped into a mass grave by 4 people for financial gain. Some were dismembered.

That's quite possible, although I would have felt that a regular yellow school bus would have been more appropriate. But if none of those people who were on that bus are complaining about the police bus itself, then, perhaps we should let it be - most likely those people on the bus themselves would know the reason for the specific bus being used. Besides, this whole thing is focused on how the bodies of the dead at this cemetary were treated than on the type of bus being used.

That's quite possible, although I would have felt that a regular yellow school bus would have been more appropriate. But if none of those people who were on that bus are complaining about the police bus itself, then, perhaps we should let it be - most likely those people on the bus themselves would know the reason for the specific bus being used. Besides, this whole thing is focused on how the bodies of the dead at this cemetary were treated than on the type of bus being used.

That would be my inclination. Personally, in my opinion, this is much ado about nothing.

Just my .02

Bat Boy is all grown up and works for iReport

Look he has come a long way from his reclusive humble early life
batboy_1_2.jpg

*J/K - I Love Bat Boy Stories* Bot Boy Rules!!* :P

So that's where Bat Boy went after Weekly World News folded! :giggle:

I remember doing a parody of Weekly World News for one of my graphic design courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back