Prelingual deaf adult getting CI

jwyoon13

Reaction score
Hi !
My wife was born and lived as a deaf for her whole life. Fortunately, we were offered to get a CI because hearing aids did not help much for her hearing. She only had her hearing aids for about 6 months. I could not find much resources on how it is effective to have CI on hearing ability for someone who lived as a deaf for whole life. Can you give me some insights and what to do? Should we get it? Thank you all. And which one is better between AB, Cochlear, and MEDEL?

Hard choice to answer, some here would say yes, some no. My first question why, life been OK? Why now? First chance? If never heard before how would you know what one is hearing is hearing? I've seen both sides the excitement and disappointment, are you ready for either or both? All I can say is pray for Devine guidance, yes listen to a lot of other experiences but know that's there's may not be yours, I go back to my first question why, what are you looking for? Why does a curly hair girl want straight and a straight hair girl want curly? CI not hair and not without risk, is it worth it? Can you accept your self the way you are? Can you accept the way you turn out if it's not what you think? Something's you can't return from, unsee ,undo... we live with our choiceses for better or worse, in sickness or in health, for richer or poorer...do overs are not an option with CI. I mean not to discourage you nor encourage. This question is discussed here often, can't tell you which thread it's on but look around, don't be afraid to try and don't regret not trying. Not much help am I? Good luck with your choice and have no regrets, plot your course and ride your adventure :2c:

Hard choice to answer, some here would say yes, some no. My first question why, life been OK? Why now? First chance? If never heard before how would you know what one is hearing is hearing? I've seen both sides the excitement and disappointment, are you ready for either or both? All I can say is pray for Devine guidance, yes listen to a lot of other experiences but know that's there's may not be yours, I go back to my first question why, what are you looking for? Why does a curly hair girl want straight and a straight hair girl want curly? CI not hair and not without risk, is it worth it? Can you accept your self the way you are? Can you accept the way you turn out if it's not what you think? Something's you can't return from, unsee ,undo... we live with our choiceses for better or worse, in sickness or in health, for richer or poorer...do overs are not an option with CI. I mean not to discourage you nor encourage. This question is discussed here often, can't tell you which thread it's on but look around, don't be afraid to try and don't regret not trying. Not much help am I? Good luck with your choice and have no regrets, plot your course and ride your adventure :2c:
I did hear as a kid but very little. As an adult I started losing more and by the time I was 30 it was gone. I spent a lot of time not hearing and decided to get Cochlear Implant. They TOLD ME THAT THE LONGER YOU GO WITHOUT USE OF YOUR EAR THE MORE SPEECH THERAPY YOU WILL NEED BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN DOES NOT REMEMBER SOUNDS. My first Cochlear was long time ago (very old processor)and it was hard to do but the processors they make now are digital and have so much better sound quality than the first one I had. I GOT USED TO IT AND GOT MY SECOND ONE IMPLANTED( MOST COMPLETELY DEAF DO BOTH AT ONE TIME) AND IT WAS SOOOOO MUCH EASIER BECAUSE OF THE NEWER PROCESSORS. IT WAS SO EASY TO HER the first day( everything just sounded robotic.. this goes away after a few months when your brain is trained to recognize these new sounds) sounds). I STILL HAVE DAYS AND TIMES WHERE I LIKE IT QUIET WITH NO PROCESSORS BUT ITS GOOD TO BE ABLE TO HEAR A LITTLE AT TIMES( DONT GET ME WRONG ITS NOT PERFECT AND PEOPLE STILL HAVE TO REPEAT THEMSELVES SOMETIMES BUT FOR ME THIS WORKS

Oops sorry I missed something. THEY TOLD ME BEFORE IMPLANT THAT I would need speech therapy but that was if it worked well. They did not expect a good outcome and said it's harder the longer you are without sound to make it work..BUT IT DID WORK. IT TOOK SOME THERAPY AND A LOT OF LISTENING PRACTICE BUT IT DID WORK FOR ME

Oops sorry I missed something. THEY TOLD ME BEFORE IMPLANT THAT I would need speech therapy but that was if it worked well. They did not expect a good outcome and said it's harder the longer you are without sound to make it work..BUT IT DID WORK. IT TOOK SOME THERAPY AND A LOT OF LISTENING PRACTICE BUT IT DID WORK FOR ME
Ya ha !great for you:rockon::locked::party:

Back