"power aid?"

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
Adam went to his Audi yesterday and was tested w/his HA's and w/out them... and we're getting a near 'normal' hearing range w/his right aid (Oticon Vigo Pro) but he's still profound w/his left... so his Audi mentioned maybe trying him on a "Power Aid"?? He's profoundly deaf so what will this accomplish on that side?? His current aid is maxed out...

Sorry to sound so 'stupid' but this is all new to me-- I guess I just figured since he was profound on that side we'd never get much aided or unaided on his audiograms...

So what exactly is a power aid anyhow?? All this is confusing to me!!

Oh and w/out his aids his right side is still moderate w/a possible downward slope in the high frequencies... Adam started getting squirmy and it was hard to finish the test w/him climbing on me! His attention span is still so short LOL.

Thanks for any answers you guys can provide me...

A power aid is an aid that is just that ..more powerful :) lol The power aids that I know of that are mostly used (there are more i just don't know all of them) are the oticon SUMO DM, the Phonak Naida and I beleive the phonak Audeo YES is now similar to the naida sort of, as well as the Exelia ART. Many aids come in power versions like mine for example, I have the Phonak Versata Powers, but are not for a profound loss as much as your sons probably is. I hope I answered part of your question correctly. I don't have a profound loss but moderate/severe and my aids are good...for now:) lol good luck with trying out other aids for adam's left ear:)

he's still profound w/his left... so his Audi mentioned maybe trying him on a "Power Aid"?? He's profoundly deaf so what will this accomplish on that side??
Profound doesn't mean total and complete loss. Some people with profound losses have useful aidable hearing.

Profound doesn't mean total and complete loss. Some people with profound losses have useful aidable hearing.

Exactly. As long as a person has measurable residual hearing, they will hear with HAs. I hear quite well up to 1000Hz with my Phonak Naida V UP HAs. The Oticon Sumo is another great HA that ive yet to try, but it's tempting as I hear(pun intended) that I could hear even better with those.

Maybe that's where I've been confused!!! I was under the impression that it was a 'total loss' on that side!!! Ok makes more sense now! THANKS!!

I have power aids and enjoy them. If you have any questions about the gains and such PM me and I'd be happy to share them with you =)

heem thats a new one to me i thought thier were just more powerful hearing aids never heard of power aids.

heem thats a new one to me i thought thier were just more powerful hearing aids never heard of power aids.

Well that is what they are, they are just more powerful. Like mine are called the Destiny 1200 BTE Power Plus aids as opposed to just the Destiny 1200.

1. How old is Adam

2. Why are they testing him with one aid on at a time? Better yet how are they testing him with his aids on?

A power aid is simply a hearing aid that is capable of a higher output (power).

If Adam is profoundly deaf he'll probably need a 'super power' aid. These are more powerful than 'power' aids. Google 'super power hearing aids' and you'll be able to get info from all the HA manufacturers.

I have a profound loss in both ears, meaning I am all but deaf unaided. I wear Resound Azure power aids.

1. How old is Adam

2. Why are they testing him with one aid on at a time? Better yet how are they testing him with his aids on?

A power aid is simply a hearing aid that is capable of a higher output (power).

1) He is 13 mo old and will nearly 14 mo old at his next testing...

2) They test him w/both aids in-- but this time tested him unaided first, and by the time his Audi got his R HA adjusted, he was DONE With testing, he was done w/anything but playing at that point-- so he'll be tested w/his HA's in first... They put his aids in and test him in the sound booth... sitting in my lap facing away from me...

1) He is 13 mo old and will nearly 14 mo old at his next testing...

2) They test him w/both aids in-- but this time tested him unaided first, and by the time his Audi got his R HA adjusted, he was DONE With testing, he was done w/anything but playing at that point-- so he'll be tested w/his HA's in first... They put his aids in and test him in the sound booth... sitting in my lap facing away from me...

By the way you said
we're getting a near 'normal' hearing range w/his right aid (Oticon Vigo Pro) but he's still profound w/his left
it made it sound like they were testing him with only aid on at a time.

Soundfield testing (the way they are testing him) is not an accurate way to determine benefit of the left or right hearing aid. Let alone they cann't they pin point sufficient power for either ear if both are worn (soundfield testing isn't ear specific), you would have to test him with one aid on at a time. The most accurate way to determine sufficient gain for a hearing aid on a child who can't tell you if it's too loud or too soft is to do real ear testing and use RECD norms.

Exactly. As long as a person has measurable residual hearing, they will hear with HAs. I hear quite well up to 1000Hz with my Phonak Naida V UP HAs. The Oticon Sumo is another great HA that ive yet to try, but it's tempting as I hear(pun intended) that I could hear even better with those.

They may be able to hear something, but it may not be enough to be useful or even worth aiding.

They may be able to hear something, but it may not be enough to be useful or even worth aiding.

Yes, true......but unless the person has a deep profound loss, it might be worth it to see how they respond to hearing aids.

I agree, I have a very profound loss (105-120db up to 1000Hz then nothing in both ears) and I use hearing aids with benefit!

Thanks guys!! That's what I had trouble wrapping my mind around-- it had been explained by his first Audi that Profound meant 'nothing there'... so I couldn't understand aiding his Left ear if there was NO hearing there... ya know?? Sort of like putting premium gas in a car w/no engine... that's how I 'saw' it...

Now I understand a bit more that its possible he does have some hearing there in that ear and possibly can get some help w/a stronger aid... AWESOME!!

I love his Audi to death-- but sometimes I guess I just need to ask the 'experts' -- so I come here!!! :) :)

Thanks for putting up w/my questions!!! :ty:

Well profound can mean anything from only hearing 10% -30% of speech unaided to absolutly no useful hearing and everything in between.

Well profound can mean anything from only hearing 10% -30% of speech unaided to absolutly no useful hearing and everything in between.

The definition of profound is at least 90db HL. Some audiologists consider my loss severe, others consider it profound. I do have a 90db HL at 500Hz and above but at 250Hz(and of course below) it's 75db or less. However I am considered deaf since my HL is at least 70db and I hear pratically nothing unaided, no speech, no sounds(well unless I press my ear to the speakers with the volume cranked way up)

I got super power aid for my right ear...Oticon Sumo DM. Even though I have 100+ DB loss in that ear, I still was able to benefit from it.

Word of caution...it might hurt him if it's too loud...let the audiologist go slow and easy with soft sounds and gradually increase them. Also, do it for a few minutes at a time and gradually increase him using it. Using it all day on the first try (which is what many parents and doctors do) is really not good.

Back