"power aid?"

Hi. I am new to HA's. I have monaural hearing due to 50% loss heriditary sensoneural in my left ear. I got a Phonak Versata CIC last thursday. It works very well, with one glitch. If the refrigerator, or air condtioner/heat pump, or the ventilation system at work is running (I work in a cube farm) I hear a "white noise" constantly (until the refrigerator, etc. stops running. I have an appt this week with my AU to have a tweaking session. Is it possible to have these very low frequencies blotted out ? thanks...

The definition of profound is at least 90db HL. Some audiologists consider my loss severe, others consider it profound. I do have a 90db HL at 500Hz and above but at 250Hz(and of course below) it's 75db or less. However I am considered deaf since my HL is at least 70db and I hear pratically nothing unaided, no speech, no sounds(well unless I press my ear to the speakers with the volume cranked way up)

Deaf (audiologically speaking) is considered 90 dB or greater. When I had hearing loss that started at 70 dB (250 Hz), I was considered to have severe-profound hearing loss. In the low frequencies, my hearing loss was severe. In the middle and high frequencies, it was profound. Even when I could no longer hear without hearing aids, I never considered myself deaf. I think this is due to the fact that I've always been taught that deaf means no residual hearing. (Keep in mind that I had no exposure to deaf people until high school when we had a Deaf student.)

I got super power aid for my right ear...Oticon Sumo DM. Even though I have 100+ DB loss in that ear, I still was able to benefit from it.

Word of caution...it might hurt him if it's too loud...let the audiologist go slow and easy with soft sounds and gradually increase them. Also, do it for a few minutes at a time and gradually increase him using it. Using it all day on the first try (which is what many parents and doctors do) is really not good.

Ya know I asked about this w/just his regular aids when he first started wearing them last year (hard to believe it's been nearly a year!) Although it's not the same it's the only thing I have to relate it to- when ever I get contacts that's how they have me do it, slowly-- sort of work my way up into wearing them all day-- so I thought it would be the same, but they had me have him wear them all his waking hours...

It really makes sense to me DBG to do it like you said... guess we'll find out in two weeks when he goes back to Audi to check that left ear more intensely...

Deaf (audiologically speaking) is considered 90 dB or greater. When I had hearing loss that started at 70 dB (250 Hz), I was considered to have severe-profound hearing loss. In the low frequencies, my hearing loss was severe. In the middle and high frequencies, it was profound. Even when I could no longer hear without hearing aids, I never considered myself deaf. I think this is due to the fact that I've always been taught that deaf means no residual hearing. (Keep in mind that I had no exposure to deaf people until high school when we had a Deaf student.)

Well he is certainly 'deaf' in his left ear... if I recall it was more than 100dbs on that side... I'd have to dig his test results out but seems I remember something about 105? I know it's always on the bottom of the charts that's for sure... especially compared to his right ear... BIG difference...

BTW... welcome back Hear Again!!

Well he is certainly 'deaf' in his left ear... if I recall it was more than 100dbs on that side... I'd have to dig his test results out but seems I remember something about 105? I know it's always on the bottom of the charts that's for sure... especially compared to his right ear... BIG difference...

BTW... welcome back Hear Again!!

Thanks! :)

It sounds (no pun intended) like your son is deaf in that ear. 90-120 dB is considered profoundly deaf.

Ya know I asked about this w/just his regular aids when he first started wearing them last year (hard to believe it's been nearly a year!) Although it's not the same it's the only thing I have to relate it to- when ever I get contacts that's how they have me do it, slowly-- sort of work my way up into wearing them all day-- so I thought it would be the same, but they had me have him wear them all his waking hours...

It really makes sense to me DBG to do it like you said... guess we'll find out in two weeks when he goes back to Audi to check that left ear more intensely...

When I started wearing hearing aids at age 15, my audi recommended that I wear them for a few hours and then gradually increase the time by a half-hour or hour each day. This worked out well for me because I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day nor was I overwhelmed by all of the new sounds I heard.

Back