Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. It's also the opposite of what sonocativo said. I think you might have misread something?
No I was not responding to sono's post. I'm just tired of seeing these same threads over and over and over and over, again. Why do no new posters bother to look at previous threads and see that this has been discussed to death ?

Yes, that's exactly what I said. It's also the opposite of what sonocativo said. I think you might have misread something?

Seriously, get out if you can't bother trying to see what discussions have already gone on. I'm offended at this point. Don't tell me I misread something. You read nothing.

I'm born deaf due to Usher Syndrome Type 1.

Yes, I did wear HA and FM, then got CI in 1996, thanks to Jane's visitation to my school, so I hated it. :lol:

Last edited:
If you go back to the poll at the top of each page you will probably notice from the way it is phrased he is talking about the medical condition. But, uses the terms Deaf and deaf which the way I understand it come from the deaf culture with Deaf applied to the person that is part of the culture that "immerses themselves in the Deaf community (Deaf clubs, ASL, and so on) is how they identify themselves. There is no time limit or starting point on this. It is different for everyone " as Alley Cat said in post 76. They then use deaf (small d) for the person that does not do those things but has the medical condition of being deaf (unable to hear).

No I was not responding to sono's post. I'm just tired of seeing these same threads over and over and over and over, again. Why do no new posters bother to look at previous threads and see that this has been discussed to death ?
Seriously, get out if you can't bother trying to see what discussions have already gone on. I'm offended at this point. Don't tell me I misread something. You read nothing.

Yeah, I'm gone. If misrespresentations of the terms deaf and Deaf aren't allowed to be challenged on the basis that it's been done before, this is definitely not the place for me. I'm disappointed to find that the warmth and closeness of the community I'm so proud to be a part of doesn't extend to this forum, but I wish you all the best.

Yeah, I'm gone. If misrespresentations of the terms deaf and Deaf aren't allowed to be challenged on the basis that it's been done before, this is definitely not the place for me. I'm disappointed to find that the warmth and closeness of the community I'm so proud to be a part of doesn't extend to this forum, but I wish you all the best.
I wish you well. Anyone with a hearing loss knows the difference between deaf and Deaf, so if you want to challenge so-called misrepresentations of that and are offended by those who are offended by that, you are welcome to go. Everyone here knows I am a very nice person, but my hackles go up when I'm told I misread something. I didn't.

Have you noticed maybe 90% of the folks here are hearies? Probly not, as it seems you just jumped in blind. Are you a hearie ( and I mean that you can hear weither HOH or normal hearing) ?? You havent introduced yourself, nothing... and you expect a kiss already?

I wish you well. Anyone with a hearing loss knows the difference between deaf and Deaf, so if you want to challenge so-called misrepresentations of that and are offended by those who are offended by that, you are welcome to go. Everyone here knows I am a very nice person, but my hackles go up when I'm told I misread something. I didn't.

Not everyone knows the difference between Deaf & deaf if they are not a member of the Deaf Community/culture. I think your are assuming a bit too much.

I think you did misread what enib91 was saying. The way I took it (s)he was applying the same definition to Deaf and deaf as you are.

Oh man. Not this sh*t again. It does NOT matter when a person becomes deaf, whether from birth, or late deafened. How that person immerses themselves in the Deaf community (Deaf clubs, ASL, and so on) is how they identify themselves. There is no time limit or starting point on this. It is different for everyone.

Not everyone knows the difference between Deaf & deaf if they are not a member of the Deaf Community/culture. I think your are assuming a bit too much.

I think you did misread what enib91 was saying. The way I took it (s)he was applying the same definition to Deaf and deaf as you are.
Regardless, its out of context of what my posting is about and what I have wrote. Yes, everyone is going to have their point of veiw, Im not grading your report cards, Its just all in the fun of getting to know where everyone places themselves.
Anyone can label themselves however they want Deaf/deaf... But truely, were you born Medically stone deaf or Born with hearing issues ***OR*** Became late deafened due to medical/diseases, injuries . Its not rocket science, Its Black and White.
Like were you born male or female, ( Yes I know there are some born with both sexes but rare) doesnt matter if you had a sex change later in life but there are only 2 sexes you are BORN with. Some choose what sex they want later in life ( for whatever unknown reason) then you have the parents who choose what sex this child should be ( rare birth defect ) later to find out they choose the wrong gender (due to hormones)
but Im sure you all get the point of this, theres nothing to argue about, you can identify yourself any way you want, but the true you was at birth.

Last edited:
No it boils down to the bare basics, either you hear or you dont, simple as that. You dont get the egg without the chicken.
twist it however to your liking, youre wrong.
No, you are wrong. You can be Deaf and deaf and still hear. Hearing loss in the severe and profound range are considered deaf. There are very few people who have absolutely no hearing. You are mistaken here.

My .02 cents. Profound deaf (both ears) since age 14...I have musical tinnitus...and still "hear" a train roaring down the tracks, fire engines...etc., etc. still "remember" my mother's voice also. Songs, bands of the 50's-60's are still embedded in my brain. And remember how they "sounded"....and that has been over 50 years.

No, you are wrong. You can be Deaf and deaf and still hear. Hearing loss in the severe and profound range are considered deaf. There are very few people who have absolutely no hearing. You are mistaken here.

I'm one of them - can't hear everything, even at airport, but I can feel the vibration.

Nope, wrong.
Deaf as in NEVER heard a sound since birth... nada, zip....
HOH- can hear but not well, degraded/degrading hearing... is not Deaf as they can hear but not well or well enough.

There is a very hugh difference between the two. Either youre Hot or cold ( Deaf or hearing ) but if youre warm (HOH) its very simple to understand, but you all refuse to sadly, just want to argue youre this when youre not. let it soak in instead of being conditioned to what you think is correct when its a medical fact, quit lying to yourself.

In my experience, when I was student at deaf school, many students were HoH, possibly more than severe to profound deaf, also their ASL/PSE are very good and many of them embraced the deaf culture, even they are HoH and has great benefit with hearing aids.

Some HoH students helped me to order food at mall and I didnt have to write on note to order food, so I thanked to them, also they helped me to deal with some people when we went out of town.

Gallaudet is different story, it has more severe to profound deaf students than HoH students, also many received CI, it is very common than at local deaf school.

I ran across this video. She seems bright and just about says it all. Hmmm...

To simplify what Im saying is:

There are Painters ( Union Painters, who trained, Professional Painters )
Then you have people who claim to be Painters.

Bottom line is , Anyone can paint.... My 6yo can paint.

Maybe you're asking the wrong people? I mean, if you want to know about monkeys, do you ask a monkey or an anthropologist?
*snickers*

(Sorry, just couldn't help it.)

Maybe you're asking the wrong people? I mean, if you want to know about monkeys, do you ask a monkey or an anthropologist?
*snickers*

(Sorry, just couldn't help it.)
Truth....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back