Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fine. Profound can also mean that you hear at 90 db+.

What does matter to you? Not all people with profound deaf can hear 90+ dbs. The profound deaf is medical classification, not total deafness. They classified me as profound deaf with no hearing at all.

The hearing is useless if you are severe and profound deaf, anyway.

Oh you'd be surprised.

I was approved- they stated for deafness.. my vision "issues" were not included oddly enough- but that may have been before my more recent dx. Fairly sure they saw the info that I do wear hearing aids ... and that I use VRS but with vco. So.. :dunno:

Believe me.. I'd rather not be on SSDI but an income no matter the size helps a little. And yes I'm trying to do something about it... (if you have about 10-14K, you can pay for my bootcamp ;) ).

Yeah they changed all the rules back in 2010 due to people couldnt find work and just decided to cash in of piddly stuff like a broken pinky toe and crap like that. 300 new judges were hired here alone.

you are missing the whole point.
Can you explain the point I'm missing? Was my example not on target? It was a child with a mild-moderate hearing loss who was approved for disability payments because of her hearing loss. She was considered severely impacted by her disability because she could not speak at all or understand the speech of others.

Can you explain the point I'm missing? Was my example not on target? It was a child with a mild-moderate hearing loss who was approved for disability payments because of her hearing loss. She was considered severely impacted by her disability because she could not speak at all or understand the speech of others.
And how many true deaf people do you know that can speak?
* and quit your bullshit with 90db

An example of HOH vs Deaf.... for better understanding.

A cop saw a man driving and when he came to a stop sign he would slow down and roll through.
So the cop started following him. Every stop was the same, the man slowed then kept going, after the 4th stop the cop pulled him over.

Do you know why I pulled you over said the cop?
No said the man.
You were rolling through the stops said the cop!
But I slowed down sir.
But you didnt stop said the cop!
But I slowed down sir.
So, after a few minutes of this the cop demanded the man out of the car....Took out his billy club and started whacking him over the head.

Now do you want me to stop or slow down said the cop?

Now see where Im going? There is HOH and theres Deaf, really no in between. You can either hear poorly or not at all.
So would you pick to slow down or stop if that cop was beating your ass.

Yeah they changed all the rules back in 2010 due to people couldnt find work and just decided to cash in of piddly stuff like a broken pinky toe and crap like that. 300 new judges were hired here alone.

yeah.. I was actually surprised to be honest.. was fully prepared not to be approved. I applied for SSI (or SSDI I don't remember which honestly) back when I was in college (at the suggestion of VR). Was rejected due to other circumstances related to my finances plus they told me I could just as easily go back to the job I had in high school. Um okay... (it was part time- but could easily be full time). Didn't bother to appeal.

Could she read and write?

I know a young Deaf man who used ASL, didn't speak, didn't hear speech, could read and write English, and graduated with a college degree. He was also very popular and social.

I know a young Deaf man who used ASL, didn't speak, didn't hear speech, could read and write English, and graduated with a college degree. He was also very popular and social.
There are many more as well, just a select few who arent because they werent exposed to the resources or due to other reasons such as being poor..ect... You are what you make of yourself, if you have no desire or drive then you will never get anywhere. Like myself, I wasnt exposed to the resources I needed but I had a drive to be better.

She was too young to read or write.

And how many true deaf people do you know that can speak?
* and quit your bullshit with 90db
All my students have a profound hearing loss. They hear and speak with CIs. I have several friends who were implanted very young as well. Born profoundly deaf.

All my students have a profound hearing loss. They hear and speak with CIs. I have several friends who were implanted very young as well. Born profoundly deaf.
My question was, How many true Deaf people do you know that can speak? The ones who have never heard a sound in their life.
I know all about hoh, late deafened who can speak and most fairly clear so lets leave that part out and focus on the truely deaf individuals without HA/CI's.... the ones who never heard a sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back