Police say NFL star Owens tried suicide

B

Buckdodgers

DALLAS - Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened, according to a police report obtained Wednesday.

Owens left the hospital late Wednesday morning, giving reporters a "thumbs up" but making no comment as he was driven away in an SUV.

Publicist Kim Etheredge said in various interviews Wednesday with Dallas-area media that the police have gotten the story wrong. She said she was with Owens, who was having trouble because he'd mixed his pain pills with supplements. She said she called for help because he was becoming unresponsive.

Etheredge did not immediately respond to repeated calls and e-mails from The Associated Press.

The Dallas police report said Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes.'"

The report said the 32-year-old Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the police report were first reported by WFAA-TV.

Police Lt. Rick Watson said during a brief news conference that he could only confirm that paramedics called police to say they were taking Owens to the hospital. He said no more details would come from the police because no laws were broken.

"This is a high-profile person. We looked into it, and we determined it is not a criminal offense," Watson said. "This a medical type of situation that occurred."

NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders said he spoke with Owens shortly before his release from the hospital and that Owens was in good spirits.

Police say NFL star Owens tried suicide - Yahoo! News

AND NO LAWS WERE BROKEN WITH PAIN KILLERS? sounds like a double standard to me.

Rush Limbaugh was arrested by florida prositcuters cause he took pain killers.You see the differance between Texas & Florida?Because Tallahasse is corruputed by the LEFT WING DEMOCRATS IN TALLAHASSE And The Liberal Local Government in West Palm Beach.Just like the State Prositcuter who tried to have Rush Limbaugh arrested at the airport because of his prescription medication.But that same Liberal State Prositcuter who charged Rush Limbaugh who refused to charge another lawyer who had sex with 3 teenage girls with Child molestation but instead he charge them with soliting to prosituation.Because the Lawyer used his campaign controbution to the DNC.

*sigh* I'm not going to make a comparison between this and Rush.

Anyway, this was no suicide attempt, either. They released T.O. from the hospital. This tells me he might've had a bad reaction to the medication he was taking. If he attempted suicide as was claimed, he'd be placed on a mandatory 72 hr psych hold, and he wasn't.

At any rate, there was nothing sinister about this. The meds just didn't agree with him, probably. That has actually happened to me before. I can't take certain pain meds, and also, a certain class of antibiotics makes me ill as well.

Happens all the time.

FOX Sports - NFL - Did T.O. attempt suicide?

What I don't understand is... why are the cops talking to the press?

They shouldn't be allowed to tell the press what they "suspect" especially when it can destroy somebody's career. Pretty irresponsible of the press and the cops if you ask me.

It's amazing how they are allowed to publish this sort of crap, the press and the blabbermouths just don't have any respect these days.

I wouldn't be too pleased if somebody told the newspaper that I had done something like that when it wasn't true to begin with.

Police Corruption is very high in Florida than anywhere else except maybe California.Like in florida the sheriff deputies handcuffed an 8 year old girl in school cause she was hyperavtive.Sheriff Deputies cant even protect sexual Predators from teenage girls like both girls "Carrie Brucia and Jessica Lundsford" murdered by sexual Predators again law enforcement officers didnt do their jobs.Plus they Killed a teenage boy in boot camp and the officer has not been fired or arrested for murder.And Now T-O? in Dallas comon guys,,This isnt the old south like those bad old mississippi days of the 50s & 60s.

What I don't understand is... why are the cops talking to the press?

They shouldn't be allowed to tell the press what they "suspect" especially when it can destroy somebody's career. Pretty irresponsible of the press and the cops if you ask me.

It's amazing how they are allowed to publish this sort of crap, the press and the blabbermouths just don't have any respect these days.

I wouldn't be too pleased if somebody told the newspaper that I had done something like that when it wasn't true to begin with.

Its called the Freedom of Information Act. Police agencies are required to release all information. Here, the only time we are allowed to withhold information is in the case of juveniles and some sex offenses. In those cases, we are only allowed to withhold the name of the person and any identifying features (girl, boy, 14 y/o, etc).

Police Corruption is very high in Florida than anywhere else except maybe California.Like in florida the sheriff deputies handcuffed an 8 year old girl in school cause she was hyperavtive.Sheriff Deputies cant even protect sexual Predators from teenage girls like both girls "Carrie Brucia and Jessica Lundsford" murdered by sexual Predators again law enforcement officers didnt do their jobs.Plus they Killed a teenage boy in boot camp and the officer has not been fired or arrested for murder.And Now T-O? in Dallas comon guys,,This isnt the old south like those bad old mississippi days of the 50s & 60s.

:topic:

This story doesn't even come close to police corruption. Taylor can be more clear on this, but I believe a police officer is duty bound to write up a factual report. That being said, the information on the police report was in error. This could have happened a number of different ways. Most likely, Terrell was in such bad shape that he gave statements that were questionable and inaccurate. This is plausible considering he likely he had a bad reaction to meds. He was on pain killers. Having taken them before myself, I can attest to the fact that they make you pretty loopy, and under the best of circumstances you are NOT responsible for what you say/do. Mixing pain meds with other meds brings with it a whole different set of circumstances.

So, kids...Bottom line.. Terrell screwed up, and took some meds that made him sick. He made statements under the influence of medications, and the media ran with it.

End of story.

Police corruption is a fun topic for the conspirators and the paranoids to bat around, but I wouldn't pay no attention to such talk.

Some things don't add up. I was watching the press conference, and he seemed pretty shaken, and his personal assistant seemed very annoyed. Both of them were pretty defensive, too. I'm not going to jump to conclusions. It might or might not of been a suicide attempt.

Its called the Freedom of Information Act. Police agencies are required to release all information. Here, the only time we are allowed to withhold information is in the case of juveniles and some sex offenses. In those cases, we are only allowed to withhold the name of the person and any identifying features (girl, boy, 14 y/o, etc).

Myself, I do believe in Freedom of Information Act. However, that's not what I'm trying to say here.

Well, maybe I am. I think it's a major flaw where the information are too raw and not solidified yet and having it brought out to the public. People tend to make their final judgment of what "happened" after reading the news story.

Where I live, we are able to keep the press from publishing details on cases because they are often not solid enough for the public to know. They often get published as the investigation is done. The investigation procedures are somewhere similar to what you see on CSI: Las Vegas. I've noticed that they wouldn't inform people what they were investigating. That's how it is here.

However, we do publish the names of accused ones with little details as possible to encourage people to come forward with knowledge. This is done to discourage people from making up and accusing the accused of more crimes that s/he may not had done.

Again, it varies from case to case and the seriousness of it. For instance, homocide. They will publish information as long no media blackout is enforced. In fact, if a person was found dead in a pond or something, the family get to decide if the person's name get published or not.

It's all mumbo-jumbo when it come to legal cases here in Canada. It get me confused sometimes because the laws here are so damned wacky and full of nonsense.

I don't fully agree with how either our versions on "Freedom of Information" Act are done when it come to criminal cases. I think there is a better solution so both victims and the accused ones can be protected from the public till the investigation is over.

I think it's bad enough that the press had to publish the word, "SUICIDE". Imagine how humiliating it is for him that now many people may already had believed that. Even if it's not true.

To an extent I agree with you, but the police report does not mention suicide or attempted suicide. The police report mentions an overdose. As Oceanbreeze point out, factual information goes into the report. In this case, the publicist finds him unresponsive and an empty pill bottle. She calls 911. Paramedics and police arrive and he is talking to them (although does not remember it) and ask him if he planned on harming himself. They say his response was 'Yes'. I get calls like this all the time. I had 3 of them this week (fortunately no overdoses). Here is a copy of one of my reports (minus names and addresses) and how I word it.

ON 9/23/06 AT 1147 HOURS, I WAS DISPATCHED TO THE AREA OF 123 MAIN ST FOR THE REPORT OF A WHITE FEMALE THAT WAS BEING DISORDERLY AND WAS YELLING IN A NEARBY PARKING LOT. WHEN I ARRIVED IN THE AREA OF MAIN STREET AND MAPLE AVENUE, I OBSERVED A WHITE FEMALE STANDING IN THE CENTER OF MAIN STREET. AS I PULLED MY VEHICLE ONTO MAPLE AVE, THE FEMALE APPROACHED MY VEHICLE. I ASKED HER IF EVERYTHING WAS OK AND SHE SAID ‘THANK GOD YOU ARE HERE, SATAN AND HIS HENCHMEN ARE AFTER ME’. THE FEMALE WAS IDENTIFIED AS MARY JANE DOE OF 1 MAIN ST. MRS DOE TOLD ME THAT HER FRIEND CHRIS DIED IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR AND THAT HE WOULD BE RESURRECTED AS THE POPE AND THEY WOULD GET MARRIED.

MRS DOE TOLD ME THAT SATAN WAS CHASING AFTER HER AND WAS GOING TO KIDNAP HER AND MAKE HER MARRY THE POPE. DURING MY CONVERSATION WITH HER, SHE REPEATEDLY ANSWERED TO VOICES THAT WERE NOT THERE, AND WAS HALLUCINATING. SHE REPEATEDLY ASKED ME IF I COULD SEE THE STEAM AND FIRE COMING OUT OF THE ROADWAY, AND THAT WAS SATAN COMING AFTER HER. I ALSO OBSERVED THAT SHE WAS DIRTY AND HAD MINOR CUTS AND SCRATCHES ALL OVER HER BODY AND HAD BLOOD ON HER CLOTHING. I ASKED HER ABOUT THE CUTS AND SHE TOLD ME SHE GOT THEM FROM MAKING A BABY CARRIAGE OUT OF BRIAR BUSHES, AS GOD HAD INSTRUCTED HER TO DO. MRS DOE TOLD ME THAT SHE HAD NOT EATEN OR HAD FOOD IN ‘TWO OR THREE DAYS’.

MRS DOE WAS TAKEN INTO PROTECTIVE CUSTODY AND TRANSPORTED TO GENERAL HOSPITAL FOR AN EMERGENCY EVALUATION. WHILE TRANSPORTING HER, SHE MADE THE STATEMENT TO ME THAT ‘I WILL KILL MYSELF BEFORE THAT HAPPENS’ IN REFERENCE TO HER MARRIAGE WITH THE POPE. MRS DOE BECAME EXTREMELY VIOLENT WHILE TRANSPORTING HER, AND BEGAN KICKING THE DOORS AND WINDOWS OF MY CRUISER, AS WELL AS THE BACK OF MY SEAT. I REQUESTED ASSISTANCE FROM ANOTHER OFFICER AND STEPPED UP MY RESPONSE TO THE HOSPITAL WHILE THE OTHER UNIT FOLLOWED. WHILE AT THE HOSPITAL, MRS DOE ATTEMPTED TO KICK ME WHILE REMOVING HER FROM THE VEHICLE. MRS DOE DID STRIKE A GENERAL HOSPITAL EMPLOYEE WHO WAS ASSISTING IN RESTRAINING HER.

MRS DOE WAS TURNED OVER TO GENERAL HOSPITAL WITH NO CRIMINAL CHARGES.

As you can probably guess, there is more to this story...such as her yelling to god while we were driving. she wanted god to save her from satan's henchmen (me) and was shouting out the directions we were driving (here I am god, in the blue car....we are on main street by the yellow building..dont you see me god) as she is trying to kick out my window.

I state the facts as they occurred. I do not make a mental evaluation as I am not a doctor. I can only, in my best judgement, determine that this person is a danger to herself and to others (she was dodging cars in the middle of the road when I found her).

In TO's case, the officer puts in his report what occurred. "I was dispatched to yada yada for the report of a drug overdose. on my arrival, i met with mrs jones (the caller) who advised me that her friend is unresponsive. she also advised me she found a bottle of (whatever painkiller) that was empty. the pill bottle says it was filled on such and such a date(2 days ago) and contained 30 pills. i observed there were no pills in the bottle. while speaking with the victim, I asked him if he remembers taking the pills and he stated to me that he did not. I then asked him if he was attempting to hurt himself in any way, and he stated to me 'Yes'. mr victim was then transported to such and such hospital for treatment.

It is the media that looks at that report and says 'Oh, he tried to commit suicide' when all the officer did was put the facts that were given to him in writing as well as his/her observations.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit on how reporting works

It is the media that looks at that report and says 'Oh, he tried to commit suicide' when all the officer did was put the facts that were given to him in writing as well as his/her observations.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit on how reporting works

Yeah, it does. I must admit that I loathe the media from time to time because of their manipulative habits. Journalists, I wonder if they are ever taught about the ethics of reporting these days.

Wait, what ethics of reporting?

Figures.

They're just as bad as big-shot defense lawyers.

Tell me about it....I used to work in the media before becoming a police officer so I've seen both sides.

What is going to sell more newspapers or grab more viewers?
"T.O has allergic reaction to pain pills" story at 11...
Or
"T.O. attempts suicide by overdosing on prescription pain medication" (breaking news that probably interupted some programming...I know the media outlets I was watching today stopped what they were doing to report this).

I think the media should be help accountable for knowingly publishing bad information. The problem is, they were running with a story that was blown up, so they could say that they were running the facts as given, although those were not the facts...but the information that they had at that particular time.

Its kind of like the weather forcaster...the forecasts are always wrong, but the meteorologists can say 'The models and atmospheric conditions said we would get 1 inch of snow' when we get a blizzard. He just ran with what he thought was right....but it was actually wrong.

Taylor tell me what was the real real why Rush Limbaugh was arrested on pain killers and T-O wasnt ? Isnt because they want to arrest Rush cause hes a republican and The GOP stole the election from Al Gore? Hmmmmm?

Taylor tell me what was the real real why Rush Limbaugh was arrested on pain killers and T-O wasnt ? Isnt because they want to arrest Rush cause hes a republican and The GOP stole the election from Al Gore? Hmmmmm?

Does it matter?

It's apples and oranges, and grapes. It doesn't belong in this thread. If you want to discuss Rush Limbaugh's drug arrest, please create another thread.

Oh, but TO wasn't arrested, because he didn't commit a crime. He got a percocet (aka hydrocodone) prescription from his Dr. A single prescription. Last I knew, that was legal in this country. So, eh, your point?

BD, blaming someone else? It was TO's fault! Therefore, am sure TO will get big serious consequence from NFL... Look at WWE, if someone violated their drugs policy and that wrestler will be suspened!

So far WWE suspened or fired for violated their drugs policy
Kurt Angle -- was suspened for few times, now fired and he now signed with TNA
Kid Kash -- was suspened, now fired

Chris Masters -- one time suspened
Joey Mercury -- one time suspened and still going on
Randy Orton -- currently suspened
Balls Mahoney -- currently suspened

Theres more and I am not sure if it was involvement drugs or other situation

At first time, TO reported hosp cuz some people tho he was got allergic reaction from medience, now police found out TO was attempt suicide, therefore police must involvement... So, whats ur point for blaming police, BD?

TO was taking legit prescription drugs for his injuries that were prescribed by a doctor.

Rush goes to one doctor and says "I'm in pain, can I have pills" and is given pills. He then goes to another doctor (not mentioning that he has been to one already) and says "I'm in pain, can I have pills". He then goes to a third doctor "Im in pain, can I have pills". Then a fourth doctor "Im in pain, can I have pills". None of the doctors know about each other and none would have prescribed him medication had they known he was already under the 'care' of another physician. This is what makes what Rush did illegal and what TO did legal.

it depends how those pain meds came into Rush's possesion. they are a prescribed drug. If the was no script, the drug is illegal. if T.O. had a script the drug is legal.
I have tons of pain meds. with up to date scripts. the police are not beating down my doors....

TO was taking legit prescription drugs for his injuries that were prescribed by a doctor.

Rush goes to one doctor and says "I'm in pain, can I have pills" and is given pills. He then goes to another doctor (not mentioning that he has been to one already) and says "I'm in pain, can I have pills". He then goes to a third doctor "Im in pain, can I have pills". Then a fourth doctor "Im in pain, can I have pills". None of the doctors know about each other and none would have prescribed him medication had they known he was already under the 'care' of another physician. This is what makes what Rush did illegal and what TO did legal.
going to different doctors is the oldest trick in the book. I always thought with all the computers around pharmacies would catch on more often...

Well Here you go again Taylor,,Rush went Doctor to Doctor for Pain Killers.And Get Arrested,,Reggie Lewis Went Doctor to Doctor for clarance to play in the NBA And didnt Get Arrested,Instead GOD punished him and told him youre not playing for the boston celtics.But you got a lot of Angry people at the Doctor who says its ok to play in the NBA under a bad heart.And Doctor didnt get charged for murder instead he got police protection!But Rush gets arrested.

I watched the press conference earlier this evening when T.O. and his publicist Kim were there. From what I see, It is obvious that both of them were not appreciated at how the media took it in a different light.

T.O. did mention that he did took the natural supplements along with the painkiller for his hand and that could be possibly why he was incoherent because of course, when you combine it together - it is never to be taken lightly.

Sometime, the media would blow it out of proportion, especially when it comes to the celebrities and tries to exaggerate it too far which I think is not needed to be but that's what they have for when fame comes in.

Back