Police say naked man standing in doorway is not breaking law, neighbors fed up

rockin'robin

Reaction score
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -
Residents in a Charlotte neighborhood say they are fed up with a neighbor they say stands at the front door of his home naked, but police say he's not doing anything illegal.

People in the Cardinal Glen neighborhood in north Charlotte say the man has been doing this for nearly ten years and on Friday, they called police again.

"I was out rolling the trash can on Friday and I just happened to look over there and he was standing there buck naked," neighbor Pecolia Threatt said. "It's not good to have people walking around here naked like that a grown man like that with all these kids out here you know,"

Neighbors say the man opens his door in the nude and even talks on his cell phone all in clear view of his neighbors. They're disgusted and fed up.

“Because my daughter grew up in this neighborhood. Even this week, when she was home from spring break, she would call me at work and say 'Mom, I'm getting ready to go outside, but let me check if he's out there first'. That's how bad it is in the neighborhood,” another neighbor Adrienna Harris said.

Harris says she's called police numerous times over the last ten years to complain, but nothing has been done.

A spokeswoman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department confirms that officers were called to the home on Friday.

"Since it is not a criminal incident, it was documented in the 'call for service' but there is no report," the spokeswoman told WBTV.

She added that officers confirmed with the magistrate that the incident did not rise to a level of a charge, since the man was on his own property.

"After consulting with the magistrate and Police Attorney, unless he is outside of his home, he cannot be charged," she said. She says officials are looking into "additional options" to help resolve the issue.

According to North Carolina law, a person can only be charged with indecent exposure if they "willfully expose the private parts of his or her person in any public place and in the presence of any other person or persons."

WEB EXTRA: Read the full NC law here

Parents told WBTV they are worried. They want to come together to help change that law to protect their children.

"I don't let them go outside and play," Harris said. "I have to keep them inside the house because that's really inappropriate for young kids to see stuff like that."

City leaders say neighbors do have the option of filing a complaint with the homeowners association that prohibits nuisance activity on a property.

"Because what's actually happening is this particular neighbor is making it difficult for people and adjoining neighbors to have the quiet enjoyment of their homes," said City Council Member for District Four Greg Phipps.

Since the beginning of 2015, officers have been called to the man's home four times: January 2, January 5. March 3 and Friday, according to police records.

This week, neighbors were able to capture pictures and video of the man standing at his door.

"I saw the video just now so now I know that people around here aren't just making up things," said Clinton Washington.

We tried talking to the man, but he ran away from the camera covering his face. Neighbors are hoping with these images the Homeowners Association can file some type of nuisance complaint.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/28...-doorway-is-not-breaking-law-neighbors-fed-up

huh? wtf? he should be arrested for indecent public exposure to minors

I've seen some naked women order pizza and have deliveryman to her house/apartment and saw her being naked on purpose. One deliveryman actually asked her for sex, she said no...it was all on camera. What a pervert!

I am a delivery driver for a pizza company. Though I've never had any girls hoping to surprise some hot delivery boy, one of my coworkers (obviously male) had every delivery boys dream. I guess there was a group of drunk girls that decided to answer the door in their underwear and tried to invite him in to join in the fun. To this day I'm wondering why he didn't decide to stay. Lol...

The perv ran off when approached for questioning, the idiot can't even back up his reasoning for indecent exposure! :crazy:

I assume it not cold in that State..he is answering the door naked is he jumping up and down pointing himself to specific young girls is he on child risk register then he a perv but standing in his own doorway using his phone he not breaking any laws..people like that do it all the more if think they getting this reaction.have cops gone into his house check no perving stuff or pictures and has any of the neighbours talked to him find out why has anyone asked if mental illness

So you would agree to expose children to nudity based on that assessment?

I assume it not cold in that State..he is answering the door naked is he jumping up and down pointing himself to specific young girls is he on child risk register then he a perv but standing in his own doorway using his phone he not breaking any laws..people like that do it all the more if think they getting this reaction.have cops gone into his house check no perving stuff or pictures and has any of the neighbours talked to him find out why has anyone asked if mental illness

Feel this naked guy is just being an a-hole....thinking he can get by with this. I would have the neighborhood kids hide in his bushes and shoot him with paint ball guns....Am surprised no one had not thought to egg his house too.....flatten his car's tires, etc., etc. ....If the police won't do anything....then it's up to the neighborhood....Tar and feather the idiot!

'It's A Private Residence': Man Cannot Be Charged For Standing Naked In His Doorway,

Residents in a Charlotte, North Carolina, neighborhood say they are seeing too much of one of their neighbors and want police to do something about it.

WBTV News reports residents of the Cardinal Glen neighborhood, on the city’s north side, say one of their neighbors likes to stand in the front doorway to his home completely naked. He has been doing it, off and on, for nearly 10 years.

They have asked police for help, but the police say the man is not technically doing anything illegal.

“I was out rolling the trash can on Friday and I just happened to look over there and he was standing there buck naked," Cardinal Glen resident Pecolia Threatt told WBTV News. "It's not good to have people walking around here naked like that a grown man like that with all these kids out here you know.”

Neighbors told the news station the man sometimes just opens his front door and stands there, naked, talking on his phone.

Adrienna Harris, another neighbor, said the man’s disturbing habit means her kids have to spend more time than usual in the house.

"I don't let them go outside and play," Harris said. "I have to keep them inside the house because that's really inappropriate for young kids to see stuff like that.”

Harris said she has called police to complain numerous times over the past 10 years but it hasn’t done much.

That’s because state law says someone can only be charged with indecent exposure if that person were to “willfully expose the private parts of his or her person in any public place and in the presence of any other person or persons.”

A Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokeswoman said officers went to the man’s home just last week. After consulting with the magistrate, the officers determined the man couldn’t be charged, she said.

Because the man is standing in the doorway of his own home, police say, he is not in a public place.

Miranda Mills, an attorney who spoke to WCNC News about the situation, said police can’t do much as long as the man stays in his doorway.

“The question becomes whether or not it's private if he's standing at the front door and exposing himself to everyone," she said. “He's actually physically in his home and the home is a private property. It’s a private residence.”

If the man were to walk down his driveway, then, maybe, the police could do something, she explained.

"Then potentially he is exposed to a charge, because your driveway is actually an area that is readily accessible to the public," Mills said.

But neighbors say they aren’t willing to wait for him to walk down his driveway, and are looking into other ways to curb the man’s behavior. A handful of residents are working to schedule a meeting of the neighborhood’s homeowners association to see if they can’t lodge some sort of nuisance complaint.

City Councilman Greg Phipps said that may be their only recourse at this time.

"Because what's actually happening is this particular neighbor is making it difficult for people and adjoining neighbors to have the quiet enjoyment of their homes,” Phipps said.

The man declined to be interviewed by WBTV News.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...ina-neighborhood-are-fed-their-naked-neighbor

I recall that somewhere, if you own land, you're legal to be nude whatever you pleasant.

I believe that he will be arrested if it was in white neighborhood.

I don't see wrong with that. Everyone should be able to be naked feeling comfortable but sadly society prevents that.

Lol Rockin Robin. You're such a hoot, I love your "no bones about it" attitude. Don't ever stop speaking your mind. It makes my day. :)

Oh and I'm not one that has a ton of knowledge on this so I could be totally wrong... But I thought that I heard somewhere that if the neighbors see something unsightly and they make an issue of it, the person living there needs to change it. I've heard of something as silly as house paint color to larger issues such as hoarding incidents that overcome the lawn. Wouldn't this fall under the same?

Has anyone else heard of this?

Sounds like the guy is just going for the shock value. Perhaps the neighbors should just start laughing and point at him when they see him and he might get the point that he's become the laughing stock on the neighborhood.

Years ago we had a body building fireman who lived on the block and he used to put on short shorts and strut up and down the block. Only problem was he didn't know all the women on the block were laughing at him and weren't impressed with his body. Well one day he overheard two women laughing while they were talking about him and that was the last day he strutted his stuff!

Feel this naked guy is just being an a-hole....thinking he can get by with this. I would have the neighborhood kids hide in his bushes and shoot him with paint ball guns....Am surprised no one had not thought to egg his house too.....flatten his car's tires, etc., etc. ....If the police won't do anything....then it's up to the neighborhood....Tar and feather the idiot!

If I was his neighbor for so long I would have found out where he worked and make his life there miserable making sure every single customer/coworkers know hes not afraid to air out his business by sharing photos of him.

Hey its my right to advertise my photos as a neighbor. His right to strut his stuff. My right to take photos and share with whoever I please. Win-win.

Back