Police investigate alleged rape of collegiate swimmer who died in suicide

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Police investigate alleged rape of MU swimmer Sasha Menu Courey - CNN.com

Columbia, Missouri (CNN) -- She went to the University of Missouri to fulfill her childhood dream of becoming a competitive swimmer.

Sasha Menu Courey made the team there, on scholarship, in 2009.

But the following year, something happened that changed the course of her promising college career -- something her parents didn't learn about until after she died.

"People were telling us that she had been raped and she wrote it in her journal," said Lynn Courey, Courey's mother.

Courey committed suicide in 2011.

Watch this video

Atty.: MO. Univ. not liable in rape case

In light of a 16-month investigation by ESPN's "Outside the Lines" program, new questions are being raised about what the university knew about the alleged assault, and when officials knew it.

The president of the university sent a letter to school officials late Sunday, saying that he is asking to hire independent counsel to conduct an investigation of the school's handing of the case.

The investigation has now also been referred to the Columbia Police Department from the University of Missouri Police Department.

"Our detectives will do the best they can with the investigation. It was not reported to us until now and we are almost four years behind," Sgt. Joe Bernhard, a Columbia police spokesman, told CNN.

"We can make a difference for others"

According to the ESPN report, in February 2010, after a night out drinking with friends, Courey said she went home with a former university football player -- off-campus -- and had consensual sex.

Months later, she told a rape crisis counselor and wrote in her journal that after the former football player left, another football player entered the room, locked the door and raped her.

Courey's parents say their daughter also talked about the alleged assault with a campus nurse and a campus doctor, 11 months after the attack.

The school never launched an investigation.

School officials say they weren't told about the suspected attack by either the nurse or the doctor because of a policy of not reporting sexual assaults without a victim's consent.

Courey's parents say their daughter had a long history of depression, and in the months after the alleged rape, she grew more and more despondent.

In 2011, Courey took her own life.

"We lost our daughter and we cannot bring her back, but we can make a difference for others," her mother said.

"The University did the right thing"

School officials say they later discovered and turned over to Courey's parents a transcript of Courey's conversation with the rape counselor. They also sent her parents a letter asking if they wanted the matter investigated. Officials say they got no response.

Courey's father, Mike Menu, said, "We did not feel supported in this letter. This letter was a check-the-boxes letter and, really to be honest, it did not deserve a response."

In its defense, the university is raising the issue of privacy.

"Victims of sexual assault need to know that they can seek medical care without the concern that reports will be made to police or campus officials without their consent. Otherwise some victims will be deterred from seeking medical care," it said in a statement.

"We continue to believe that the University did the right thing in trying to be respectful of Sasha's parents and determine their wishes. We think it is strange and inappropriate for the University to be criticized for not undertaking an investigation when Sasha's parents chose not to respond to our request for their input. If they wanted an investigation, they simply could have responded or made a report to law enforcement," it continued.

According to Title IX, a federal law that guarantees college men and women are protected equally on campus, universities are legally required to investigate allegations of rape -- even if the alleged victim is no longer alive.

Brett Sokolow, executive director of the Association of Title IX Administrators, said he doesn't get the sense there is any clear evidence of a coverup at this point.

However, he added: "I certainly feel that the university should have been a little more proactive at trying to bring in information and find out more."

I was watching NBC Nightly News the other day and they released a report saying that 1 in 5 college student females have experienced rape while in college.

That's high!

Are the colleges responsible?

I was watching NBC Nightly News the other day and they released a report saying that 1 in 5 college student females have experienced rape while in college.

That's high!

Are the colleges responsible?

It seems there are more colleagues being irresponsible and resort to do stupid things, lately. But, really, come on, those students should be adult and not some asshat.

Shame.

This happened in my town and it is absurd to see all the buck-passing. They are reopening the investigation.

Yes its colleges responsible!! Better serves for nurses, video camera, psychologist with serious one. Most psycholgists seems not to take it serious working at college. They can always get lots of students as voluneeter or part time watchout something like that. who knows they can become a cop in the future.. :( I keep talking to my kids about anything.

Yes its colleges responsible!! Better serves for nurses, video camera, psychologist with serious one. Most psycholgists seems not to take it serious working at college. They can always get lots of students as voluneeter or part time watchout something like that. who knows they can become a cop in the future.. :( I keep talking to my kids about anything.

Yeah, they should. Colleges are suppose to be great campuses and 'safe' areas...

Yeah, they should. Colleges are suppose to be great campuses and 'safe' areas...

Yeah i was a student, and went to see psychologist. The way they behave that i dislike. I worked as a resident advisor for college dorms. That is how I see in them. ugh

What are they teaching there? :ugh:

Let me rephrase my original question...

Should the colleges be responsible for what has been happening? From what I have read, most of the rapes and assaults have happened after the students consumed large amounts of alcohol. Who is responsible? The students who are adults themselves or the colleges?

why such an increase? What's up?

You cannot hold the university responsible for these crimes. If they were selling the beers, maybe. However, I would expect them to do everything they can to reduce the likelihood of crimes of all types. Lighting, cameras, and security guards would be a good place to start.

The university has to do more to eradicate the culture of sexual assault. In other words, education. Let the punks know that it is NOT okay to view women as sex objects. The women outnumber the men by three to one in this town, but a huge percentage of the women get raped before they graduate. A few months ago I was in a pizza parlor with a couple other guys, and at the table next to us, some young jocks were bragging about their "bitches" and what they did to them. We got up, approached the table and let them know in no uncertain terms that they were not men in our view, that they had unresolved issues with the fair sex and that we were sorry about their penises. I admit we were hoping they would stand up to fight, but instead they practically melted into the floor.

Should the colleges be responsible for what has been happening? From what I have read, most of the rapes and assaults have happened after the students consumed large amounts of alcohol. Who is responsible? The students who are adults themselves or the colleges?

70% of campus rapes are alchohol fueled........It's a symptom of Dumb Jock mentality, viewing women as sexual conquests.......

I could not in my right mind fault a college with that in any way. These are adults attending college and they're responsible for their actions. Even if the college were to ban alcohol ( a few of them do ) that's not going to stop a lot of these college kids from doing it... sadly... A lot of them don't care... :mad:

I could not in my right mind fault a college with that in any way. These are adults attending college and they're responsible for their actions. Even if the college were to ban alcohol ( a few of them do ) that's not going to stop a lot of these college kids from doing it... sadly... A lot of them don't care... :mad:

They're responsible for their own rapes??????
Are you kidding me?????
Sighhhhh........

They're responsible for their own rapes??????
Are you kidding me?????
Sighhhhh........

I believe she's talking about the rapers not the rapees.......I think I just made up words there......

Who are you blaming?

Who am I blaming? The rapist, of course, but there is more to it than that. It started when she had consensual sex with a Mizzou football player, and when he left the room, another guy came in and raped her. At this point it is all hearsay and I will say no more until the ongoing investigation concludes.

You cannot hold the university responsible for these crimes. If they were selling the beers, maybe. However, I would expect them to do everything they can to reduce the likelihood of crimes of all types. Lighting, cameras, and security guards would be a good place to start.

That's what I thought.

Also, if they are doing major crimes on campus, then I think they should be expelled, too.

Back