Pls help..computer dead?

srlevesque

Reaction score
Hi all you techies!! On son in laws computer right now...Could someone pls help with computer advice? Problem: Internet not working....arrow on win 7 not working...can't system restore (comes up with error msg)....all started after clicked on use programs for previous versions of windows.:cry:

Don't know what to do?!
Thanks for all replies and help.:ty:
Staci

There are many possible reason it caused PC problem... It's most likely virus, but possible not. You can access to PC windows by using safe mode and try to locate what went wrong...

ok I will try that...sorry bout dumb question coming up but, how do I get into safe mode? It's HP laptop if that makes any difference.
thanks
Staci

You just said Internet wont work, right? Then focus on Internet connection first. I often suggested check Ethernet cable connection, router, modem and ISP, majority of the time, they found loosen connection, bad Ethernet cable, etc.

Hi all you techies!! On son in laws computer right now...Could someone pls help with computer advice? Problem: Internet not working....arrow on win 7 not working...can't system restore (comes up with error msg)....all started after clicked on use programs for previous versions of windows.:cry:

Don't know what to do?!
Thanks for all replies and help.:ty:
Staci
That's mean "Blue Screen of Death"

Well, if your laptop had old BIOS Version. It's time to download from factory as update new BIOS Version due to fix blue screen of death or crashed.

Or.. Call HP support if your warranty is cover. They will take care of it.

I had HP netbook for travel. I always download update BIOS Version files for improve and fix BSOD. and Hard drive has been died. I called HP support for warranty. They took care of it and free install a new hard drive.

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. Click Safe Mode with Networking. Open internet and download free malwarebytes software. Install it then update it in your computer. Scan full ( not quick) and wait for long minutes.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

ok I will try that...sorry bout dumb question coming up but, how do I get into safe mode? It's HP laptop if that makes any difference.
thanks
Staci

No, it's not dumb question. Not everyone know how to do it and we will help you. :) And see Chevy57's reply for instruction on how to get in safe mode. :)

That's mean "Blue Screen of Death"

Well, if your laptop had old BIOS Version. It's time to download from factory as update new BIOS Version due to fix blue screen of death or crashed.

Or.. Call HP support if your warranty is cover. They will take care of it.

I had HP netbook for travel. I always download update BIOS Version files for improve and fix BSOD. and Hard drive has been died. I called HP support for warranty. They took care of it and free install a new hard drive.

Uh, not necessary BIOS problem. BSOD is usually caused by various reasons. Mostly either conflict/bad hardware driver or conflict/bad memory or possible bad software. We need to pinpoint the problem.

Few years ago, I had BSOD several times and I found the cause: bad driver for my USB wireless network.

In OP's problem, it seems she had several problems all over. It CAN be virus or other thing. It's safe to try get anti-virus scanning to make sure. If it does not help, then there's something else that we will help.

or reformat it :p

If it was up to me, I would have done that. :)

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. Click Safe Mode with Networking. Open internet and download free malwarebytes software. Install it then update it in your computer. Scan full ( not quick) and wait for long minutes.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - CNET Download.com

Good advice, Chevy57. If the problem still there, we will try something else.

Uh, not necessary BIOS problem. BSOD is usually caused by various reasons. Mostly either conflict/bad hardware driver or conflict/bad memory or possible bad software. We need to pinpoint the problem.

Few years ago, I had BSOD several times and I found the cause: bad driver for my USB wireless network.

Whatever, HP support dept tested memory chips has been passed and found my HDD was bad or damaged by Custom agent's scanner ruined it during I ordered new netbook. It was builted from China deliver to USA. Warranty is cover for free install new HDD by hand of technician in USA.

If her son-in-law don't have recovery disc or If press F8 safe mode is not working. She should call HP support dept with warranty. Factory will investigate his laptop if found any part had bad/damage and Factory will fix it and will reformat his laptop.

arrow on win 7 not working

I would recommend bullets, much more effective...

all started after clicked on use programs for previous versions of windows.:cry:

Have you tried clicking on use programs for current version of Windows?

Seriously, some more details would be helpful. Worst case you will have to reinstall everything from the factory recovery discs. In which case you would loose all data on the install drive.

Whatever, HP support dept tested memory chips has been passed and found my HDD was bad or damaged by Custom agent's scanner ruined it during I ordered new netbook. It was builted from China deliver to USA. Warranty is cover for free install new HDD by hand of technician in USA.

If her son-in-law don't have recovery disc or If press F8 safe mode is not working. She should call HP support dept with warranty. Factory will investigate his laptop if found any part had bad/damage and Factory will fix it and will reformat his laptop.

Yeah, bad section can cause BSOD as part of my "mostly" reason (bad software). :)

You're right, she could have send it to HP and have them take a look at it. I think she is trying to get a quick fix, so that her son-in-law can use the Netbook. It's normal for people to come in forum and see any assistance (free tech support).

Before sending the computer for repair, I would check all the simple fixes first. I would disconnect/power down the cable modem, the router, and the computer. Then, step by step, slowly power up and reconnect. Also, do a deep, complete virus scan. Check thru all programs and apps to see if anything you don't need can be uninstalled (especially free stuff that drags along problem side effects with it).

Then, if it still doesn't work, when you post back, please be specific. Explain exactly what your hardware and software is. If you see any error messages, write them down.

You say that the problem began when you tried to use programs that use previous versions of Windows? That can sometimes be a conflict, especially with Windows 7. I love W7 but it is not compatible with everything. I had to replace my scanner and printer, for example, because there were no upgradeable drivers available for those models that were compatible with W7.

I have no warrenty, I don't have factory reset disks... Is there a site that I can download them from? I would like to do a complete restore but error code keeps coming up saying that it can not complete because of error. I am on my son inlaws comp right now but it is my laptop with the issue.

I have no warrenty, I don't have factory reset disks... Is there a site that I can download them from? I would like to do a complete restore but error code keeps coming up saying that it can not complete because of error. I am on my son inlaws comp right now but it is my laptop with the issue.

Contact the manufacturer for restore disks.

Have you tried system restore? This is not the "factory restore", but rather part of Windows (OS).

Download = for BIOS version files from factory.

Recovery disk = for order to buy your own recovery disk from factory.

Backup or restore system = Press F8

No Warranty = Go to computer repair shop. You'll pay a bill

you said "error code keeps coming up" as like "Blue Screen of Death" mean bad memory chips or Hard Drive worn out or motherboard has been fried during overheating.

Recommend your contact to your technical warranty computer store
we can't help your fix issues! better diagnose your computer system!!

pay costly help your technical issues fix restore CD backup & CD recovery

Download = for BIOS version files from factory.

Recovery disk = for order to buy your own recovery disk from factory.

Backup or restore system = Press F8

No Warranty = Go to computer repair shop. You'll pay a bill

you said "error code keeps coming up" as like "Blue Screen of Death" mean bad memory chips or Hard Drive worn out or motherboard has been fried during overheating.

If motherboard fried - it won't past POST at all. BSOD usually occurred within Windows.

Back