PLEASE help me for ASL class!

lms86

Reaction score
Hi. I'm writing a paper for my ASL class. It's due very soon so would anyone please help me? It's about Deaf Culture and Safety. These are different questions than in my previous thread. Some of these situations may seem obvious or be a bit outrageous, but please help me out as much as you can:

1) How do you know if your car is being broken into? Is there a light or vibration system that alerts you?

2) Is it custom to prepare for a power outage, where there would be limited light, with generators, candles, flashlights, etc?

3) When it is cold enough to wear gloves, is it preferable to wear a specific type (for example, gloves with a different color for each finger)? (I'd assume mittens aren't very helpful).

4) What do you do when you are driving and an emergency vehicle has got its siren on, but its lights are out of sight? Or if another driver is honking their horn because they are about to run a red light?

5) How is your smoke alarm different from those in a hearing household?

6) And finally, are there any limitations to your 911 services? How do you access them in a quick emergency? Can you reach 911 from your cell phone? What did people do in emergency situations before having cell phones and VRS?

Thanks a WHOLE lot! You don't have to answer them all, but the more, the better.

I don't quite understand question number one. Do you mean the car is parked in the garage at home, or in a public parking lot, or what? How is that specifically a "deaf" situation? Hearing people have their cars broken into all the time without knowing about it until later.

1) How do you know if your car is being broken into? Is there a light or vibration system that alerts you? um? Since my car is parked out of hearing range even for hearing people ... I suppose I'd just "find out " it'd been broken into - I have a security system and imobilizer

2) Is it custom to prepare for a power outage, where there would be limited light, with generators, candles, flashlights, etc? Hopefully hearing hh & deaf alike would all plan for a power outage ? we all trip in the dark just the same ;)

3) When it is cold enough to wear gloves, is it preferable to wear a specific type (for example, gloves with a different color for each finger)? (I'd assume mittens aren't very helpful). I don't do much talking outside in the winter - it gets to -50C here ... but otherwise , gloves with mitts over top if it's really cold

4) What do you do when you are driving and an emergency vehicle has got its siren on, but its lights are out of sight? Or if another driver is honking their horn because they are about to run a red light?I use my eyes - if there's an emergency vehicle and other cars are making room, I do the same - otherwise ... if it's out of my hearing range, I really wouldn't know if I'm missing it, so I can't comment on what I'd do past "I guess I wouldn't hear it". Hearing people who have the stereo up too loud have the same issue though, my advantage is that I'm used to using my eyes to detect things better than hearing people tend to do

5) How is your smoke alarm different from those in a hearing household?Smoke alarm with strobe that flashes

6) And finally, are there any limitations to your 911 services? How do you access them in a quick emergency? Can you reach 911 from your cell phone? What did people do in emergency situations before having cell phones and VRS?911 can be called directly from a TTY- it can also be accessed through Relay, but they prefer if you call 911 directly from a TTY so they can lock your location - BlackBerrys often have GPS built in so this locks location as well

HTH

I don't quite understand question number one. Do you mean the car is parked in the garage at home, or in a public parking lot, or what? How is that specifically a "deaf" situation? Hearing people have their cars broken into all the time without knowing about it until later.

I mean if your car is parked outside your office, or if you are parked outside while visiting a friend or something. In those situations a car is hopefully within sound distance. I was wondering if deaf people tend to go check on their cars more often just to make sure everything's alright, or if there is a device that alerts you if your alarm is going off. Of course, if you are in a packed mall or supermarket, even hearing people won't hear their alarm going off. I have thought for a long time to invent some sort of vibration or flashing device that goes in your keychain or built into your car key to alert you if your alarm is going off. If that's already been made, then there's no use of me inventing it a second time!

I mean if your car is parked outside your office, or if you are parked outside while visiting a friend or something. In those situations a car is hopefully within sound distance. I was wondering if deaf people tend to go check on their cars more often just to make sure everything's alright, or if there is a device that alerts you if your alarm is going off. Of course, if you are in a packed mall or supermarket, even hearing people won't hear their alarm going off. I have thought for a long time to invent some sort of vibration or flashing device that goes in your keychain or built into your car key to alert you if your alarm is going off. If that's already been made, then there's no use of me inventing it a second time!

Seriously - If someone's breaking into my car, I'd rather wait until they realise they can't steal it (I have an immobilizer, they're required by law here) and they go away ... I'd never in a million YEARS confront a thief anyway (they could be armed ... I value my life, more than material things)

Hi. I'm writing a paper for my ASL class. It's due very soon so would anyone please help me? It's about Deaf Culture and Safety. These are different questions than in my previous thread. Some of these situations may seem obvious or be a bit outrageous, but please help me out as much as you can:

1) How do you know if your car is being broken into? Is there a light or vibration system that alerts you?

2) Is it custom to prepare for a power outage, where there would be limited light, with generators, candles, flashlights, etc?

3) When it is cold enough to wear gloves, is it preferable to wear a specific type (for example, gloves with a different color for each finger)? (I'd assume mittens aren't very helpful).

4) What do you do when you are driving and an emergency vehicle has got its siren on, but its lights are out of sight? Or if another driver is honking their horn because they are about to run a red light?

6) And finally, are there any limitations to your 911 services? How do you access them in a quick emergency? Can you reach 911 from your cell phone? What did people do in emergency situations before having cell phones and VRS?

Thanks a WHOLE lot! You don't have to answer them all, but the more, the better.

#1 How do I know? well if I am in the car I would probably see the creep somewhere near me. I have good abilities in sensing things. I dont know if that is because I am deaf or what, but I can typically sense things around me.

#2 Yes it is. especially in huricane prone areas.

#3 35f or below. Leather is good if you want to protect yourself from the cold that comes with rain, but make sure they are lined.

#4 if someone is honking their horn I dont think it would matter. People never honk their horns for any good reasons. If the sirens are out of sight I dont think it would matter as they're out of sight for a reason, because their ahead of you or driving in a different direction, like on some side street. if they run a red light then thats on them, I could careless. They can get the ticket.

#5 Its the same as yours it just dont make noises it flashes.

#6 Well, I can call them from a cell phone and the screen will say connected when I am connected. Then I can just speak into the phone and say I am deaf and need emergency services.

My answers:

#1) I'm having the same problem with this question. You'd get a more meaningful answer asking some one without a car alarm, if they have a way of knowing their car has been vandalized. (plus car alarms are to draw attention to the vehicle and (hopefully) scare away the burgular but I don't think that works much these days)

#2) I know where my flashlight is and can find it in the dark if needed, but that's got nothing to do with my hearing loss.

3) Like another person mentioned, if it's cold enough for gloves, you're not going to have a long chat outside anyway.

4) I don't think this ever happens. I know that an ambulance may use it's lights and not the siren, but I don't belive that the opposite is true.. so.. that being said, if I can't see it, there's nothing I can do about it, and it's not really a problem because if it's not in front of me or in my mirrors, I don't need to yeild to it do I.

5) I don't have a special smoke alarm (though I should get one) Many alarms I've looked at getting have a strobe, as well as an audio alarm. Also there are models that will send a wireless signal to a bed vibrator or lamp flasher. The downside that I've seen with smoke alarms for the deaf is that they need to be plugged in (or hard wired) an outlet. I have no idea what happens in the case of a power outage.

6) As some one mentioned you can make a 911 call via TTY, though I don't own a TTY. I don't own a cell phone. and you shouldn't make a 911 call through VRS. If I ever can get a 2-line captel like system to worth with my Voip phone system then I'd probably use that. Untill then I hope I don't die in a fire. (but if I did need to call 911, I'd do what jasin suggested. even if the operator can't understand your speech, they have your address and by policy send a police officer to check on you)

I have a LoJack Early Warning system in my car. When someone moves my car without my permission, I'll be notified by LoJack's text message and e-mail on my Sidekick 3 cell phone.

Well, I have plenty of candles and flashlights around in the house, I've never thought of being prepared when the power goes out.

Doesn't matter what color & type of gloves. If I don't understand someone who is signing to me while he/she is wearing gloves, I'll ask him/her nicely to remove the gloves.

We have a technology in Southern California, paramedics and any emergency vehicles have special remote control to control traffic lights, so they don't have to go through the red-light traffic intersection. It's for our safety.

My smoke alarm comes with light, it's a regular $20 smoke alarm and it works just fine for me. I don't use special strobe light smoke alarm, it's waaay overpriced.

The 911 service will accept TDD calls. I don't think I can call 911 service from my Sidekick, but I put police, highway patrol and AAA telephone number (regular local numbers). So if I need to call police for emergency, I can use relay service on my Sidekick 3 (AIM Messenger) to call the police. Yes, it may take little more time but it's better than not making any emergency calls.

NOTE - I can give you my perspective in my country of Australia, to give you more examples :)

my car has high senstive alarm system, if it is broken into, the warning lights on the car flashes repeatedly with loud blaring noise.

If this occurs, i would have the torches and candles back up. If I am using the computer, I have no choice to be patient when the power returns. We have earth hour, where everyone has to switch off ALL electircity for one hour to save the greenhouse gassses which occurs on saturday March 29th.

Well, if it is cold enough, mittens is not clear enough to understand the sign language, it would be useless

I am pretty aware of these situations, if it occurs, down here, they must have the sirens on, as in law, for emegerencies. The car appears in the rear view mirror of the car, and I could sense if the car was driving quickily as possible. But if the car is passing a peak hour traffic, they would just drive across the grass instead.

For me, I have a fire alarm visual flashing device

Down here in Australia, we do not have VRS yet, but we have NRS (National Relay Service) we dial 106 for emergency calls only, which is is the only way for the deaf people to contact thru TTY, but there is another option, to press 000 (as 911 down here) and leave the handset on the table and the service will track the line and send the emergency services over.

Here you go, hope it helps :)

Back