Please explain why deaf people are proud to be deaf???

well if youre ever in town hit me up, Ill take you there and you can see how they are yourself. While we were there with the member that invited us they were nice, when that member was abstent they were total a**holes. We took a dish and all but we ended up leaving after 30 minutes because of the hostile environment. When the lady who invited us asked why we weren't coming anymore, we explained what happened when she wasn't there, she was really confused. I ran into her recently and she said she left there as well ( her children are deaf ) said they were getting really ignorant towards members there ( and this was held at a church...lol ) ah well, I didn't lose any sleep over it.

LOL Ah well. I don't doubt it. At Gallaudet there were Aholes like that who would look down on the mainstreamed kids (who did not go to deaf school) and the newbie signers. Interestingly they also were snobs (a few of them) to deafblind- definitely witnessed that. Outside of that I rarely went to deaf events except maybe Deaf Way II and events here or there when I visited my friend up in MD

"Location" is just a part of it as that kind of attitude can happen in large cities just as much as rural/small town or in states where there's less of a deaf presence. How they were brought up, school environment, who they meet not to mention their own personality all have a hand in how people react to others whether they be hearing, HOH, non signers, newbie signers, oral deaf who came late to ASL.

Reba explained it beautifully and better than I could though.

And yes I'll hit you up if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods..hmm haven't considered a job in the midwest yet. Not much at least as there's not a lot of mainframe ones there.

Last edited:
Reba explained it beautifully and better than I could though.

And yes I'll hit you up if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods..hmm haven't considered a job in the midwest yet. Not much at least as there's not a lot of mainframe ones there.

Check out St. Louis. I have seen things on TV about development there but since I am not looking didn't note details. That is also sono's neighborhood.

Check out St. Louis. I have seen things on TV about development there but since I am not looking didn't note details. That is also sono's neighborhood.
Obviously he already has since he said there aren't much there for the kind of work he does.

LB's right... I've not seen very many- if any jobs for Mainframe in St. Louis let alone Missouri. I've seen some positions out of Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota...sometimes Utah and Nebraska but rarely. Now if I were to go forth with my quest to attend coding bootcamp then yes... there are Web Developer (along with Testers I'm sure) EVERYWHERE lol.

*side note: while I'm waiting to hear on VR and struggling with finances and the gofundme I'm also looking at learning Accessibility testing (or development..hmm). Accessibility like CC for videos, transcripts, color themes/high contrast/reverse colors for websites, ability to increase fonts without ruining the site layout, ability for readers (like JAWS or ZoomText) to read sites/apps easily. Basically any proper accessibility accommodations for disabled users.

LB's right... I've not seen very many- if any jobs for Mainframe in St. Louis let alone Missouri. I've seen some positions out of Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota...sometimes Utah and Nebraska but rarely. Now if I were to go forth with my quest to attend coding bootcamp then yes... there are Web Developer (along with Testers I'm sure) EVERYWHERE lol.

*side note: while I'm waiting to hear on VR and struggling with finances and the gofundme I'm also looking at learning Accessibility testing (or development..hmm). Accessibility like CC for videos, transcripts, color themes/high contrast/reverse colors for websites, ability to increase fonts without ruining the site layout, ability for readers (like JAWS or ZoomText) to read sites/apps easily. Basically any proper accessibility accommodations for disabled users.

Sorry I didn't think you were interested only in mainframe.

Sorry I didn't think you were interested only in mainframe.

For now yes. I don't have enough experience in Web Development or anything else. 99% of my experience is IBM Mainframe...there are still jobs but super competitive. It's why I want to attend The Iron Yard (thus my gofundme campaign...)- so I can get the web dev skills...may as well keep up with the times. I'm also now looking at Accessibility/508 testing...or even Development.

Would love to develop something in that vein...accessibility to disabled...but my creativity/idea creation sucks LOL.

What I was getting at is how people are treated where sonocativo had contacts seems to vary greatly from what AllleyCat experienced in a different location. Thus the comment of location, location, location. People in different geographical locations having different attitudes being common. Let's see is there a different way I can say this that gets at what I was trying to say?
Its the same with Hearies, The Hicks and the Yanks, 2 different worlds all together.

there is nothing wrong with being WHO you are, regardless deaf or not. I think loving yourself is hard because most dont know how. If you do.... kudos to you! :D I am learning to love meself and it took me a while. I know being deaf is NOT a curse as many say. hogwash! :D

I like being deaf sometimes I wished that I could hear just to know whats its like. but overall.... I love being me and no one else. :D

Humm, deaf proud? or Deaf proud, born deaf? or become deaf? at what age? Humm so many variables, community, no community, self esteem, preservation,history, I've heard of those maybe met a few, but know more ashamed or ;scared, I'm not ashamed nor proud ( pride gos before a fall ) i know some are just klickish if your not in with there way of thinking oh well, we see this in all forms of society today, I think it's sad, we're all bad or broken or dare I say ______, we all have different challenges and some take pride in overcoming, or copping, or because they can't cope any other way, maybe we all need to learn acceptance and or forgiveness especially of ourselves as well as outhers: life is a journey and we're not all on the same path, it's hard to know what another seed on there path unless we've been there. Oh and by the way not all paths lead to happiness;/

Back