Please answer!

happywithaD

Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but I am hearing and some friends and I were arguing on wether or not people who communicate using sign language look each other in the eyes or at there hands.
Someone please solve this debate!

Seriously? It's so obvious. Hell, yeah. Eye contact is so important. It is also a part of the language.

This may sound stupid, but I am hearing and some friends and I were arguing on wether or not people who communicate using sign language look each other in the eyes or at there hands.
Someone please solve this debate!

I figured you are young poster here. in the Deaf Culture world, we use both eye contact and hands to communicate in ASL. This is very obvious answer and most hearing people argue face to face as well.

Last edited:
Also, consider imagining an invisible square between the eyes and hands. The only exception for me is fingerspelling. I can read it only if focus solely on the fingers. It's weird but that's me.
azjudy

in general both ! however, there are deaf people who only concentrate on sign language without moving face. i had trouble since i could not figure their poker face and looked only fingers....

that depends on the person who is deaf.. sometimes they read lips while watching signs, facial expressions, body language, its all about expressing yourself when you are signing to another deaf person :) hope this helps?

Back