Pittsburgh Deaf Community

jessswitz

Reaction score
Hi All!
I recently moved to Pittsburgh from SLC and when I was in SLC I knew lots of Deaf people and of Deaf events, such as Deaf night out and Deaf coffee nights, but I am at a loss here! I don't know anyone here really and would love to meet new people who I can sign with. I also recently graduated with a degree in Deaf Studies with an ASL-English Interpreting emphasis but I am not certified yet. I know its tough now with the pandemic happening but if anyone knows of any socially distanced events or would even be willing to get coffee outside and sign with me for a while that would be amazing!
Thank you!!

Hum Pittsburgh? We're those people from there or Philly? Can't remember, an amazing family and there friends, must of been 25 of them, it was at a WW2 reenactment in the little town I was living in, I had spent 9 months in and out of hospital, (more to come) , my hearing had taken a nose dive, there was a diner and movie followed by a dance, on my days out of the hospital I would spend in the library on line trying to remember and up date myself on ASL, normally I don't stay out after dark, but having been hospitalized for so long ( I mite add I wasn't allowed to eat during that time) I stayed in town mainly for the dance, when diner was served there were around 100 string of tables set up in the parking lot, after everybody got there food and sat down I walker by the food line, I so wanted to eat something, gave in to temptation, got a plate and say down at the end of a random table, as I looked down the table I was stunned to see everyone signing, one noticed me, signed to me, and I back, came down introductions were made, I hadn't signed in 30 years I was amazed at my self, then the paetreark who was part of the reenactment came down and interviewed me, I missed remembered a few signs but he understood me, I dogd them all night and most next day, so any how all that to say, there's a large deaf community up there :welcome:

Hi All!
I recently moved to Pittsburgh from SLC and when I was in SLC I knew lots of Deaf people and of Deaf events, such as Deaf night out and Deaf coffee nights, but I am at a loss here! I don't know anyone here really and would love to meet new people who I can sign with. I also recently graduated with a degree in Deaf Studies with an ASL-English Interpreting emphasis but I am not certified yet. I know its tough now with the pandemic happening but if anyone knows of any socially distanced events or would even be willing to get coffee outside and sign with me for a while that would be amazing!
Thank you!!
Hey there! I'm in Pittsburgh. The Facebook group (I think) Pittsburgh Deaf Connection (or something like that) is where things are usually posted. and older folks stuff and WPSD stuff is usually send out through an email blast- if you ask in the Facebook group folks will know how to get connected. :)

I'd be happy to sign with you, but you'd be much better than I am. I'm around mostly hearing people right now, so my signing is total rubbish but so is my hearing lol- I'm HoH, but increasingly deaf and life has been busy so decreasingly involved in Deaf spaces, especially now. Right now because of the communication piece of our Zoom-tacular pandemic, I actually have a friend who sometimes hops on and interprets for me and between my crappy hearing and my crappy signing I usually get enough that I can manage the call lol I figure there will be someone in the Facebook group able to give you a better signing practice :)

Anyway, welcome to Pittsburgh! Holler if you need anything!

Back