Picking a new hearing aid

Nita Thomas

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone has tried the new Hearing Hero aids. What sort of things do you look for when picking out a new hearing aid. The aid for Hearing Hero says that hearing aids are more harmful than originally thought because they shove sounds down our ears and the other newer (Hearing Hero) style uses air to move the bones in our ear for sounds. I have a high frequency deafness and always use the over the ear aids. I had Oticon and currently use Phonak hearing aids, previously use Beltone and Sears Med Ear. I found that I like having the air hole in my molds but still love yanking them out of my ears when I am home. It's just not so comfortable having them in my ears all the time!

be on the lookout, the OPN S is coming out this month too. (going for their PP since that will be a very nice change too!)

I think it depends on the age where you became deaf. There is no point in gaining what you never had.

I think it depends on the age where you became deaf. There is no point in gaining what you never had.
Depends on the person, really. Some deafness is progressive. Others is constant. Mine is supposedly constant, but I am not so sure about that. I think it has gotten worse over the years. Then the hero aid said avoid putting sound on the ear drum in it's info perks and I thought about eye glasses how if we do not spend time without them our eyes only get worse over time-- slowly but surely.

I have oticon opn, first gene. I am madly in love with them. I've only had 2 hearing aids and both have been oticon but i like the opn way better

yo yo i already got oticon opn.... minirite .... it can steam bluetooth by iphone without Soundclip-A.... if you have android phone, you require Soundclip-A.

Last edited:
if you don't like dome, then you can get a hardshell or softhell ear mold in ear. i dont like dome it kept loose it

yo yo i already got oticon opn.... minirite .... it can steam bluetooth by iphone without Soundclip-A.... if you have android phone, you require Soundclip-A.
That's what I got now, too. I really am much happier with it. Just have the ongoing problem of sometimes feeling like my ear canal is stuffed up or it will feel itchy. When that happens I pull it partly out to let some air in. Glad it is not an always problem, but the sometimes really bothers me!

I have a question. When trying out a new hearing aid, do you have to pay and then if you don't like it get a refund? Do you pay a deposit? Or do you trial it at no cost as long as you return in in 30 days? How does this work? I am interested in a new hearing aid for my other ear. I have a CI in the other. What is the lowest to highest hearing aid cost estimate for one?

Use half of alcohol and vinegar but no water. Pour in your ear and rinse it out without any water. I don't have any problem with my ear canal stuffed up or itchy since May when I am wearing a hearing aid

Yeah, this was a treatment option I got from an ear doctor. It works really well at clearing out any debris and healing. I used the mix with an ear irrigation. However, it turns out I was allergic to the regular earmolds, so you might also be allergic to the earmold. There are hypoallergenic earmolds that you may want to look into if you have not.

I have a question. When trying out a new hearing aid, do you have to pay and then if you don't like it get a refund? Do you pay a deposit? Or do you trial it at no cost as long as you return in in 30 days? How does this work? I am interested in a new hearing aid for my other ear. I have a CI in the other. What is the lowest to highest hearing aid cost estimate for one?
That depends on the salesperson - source. You really should just see an audiologist and go from there for hearing aid recommendations. They will assess your need and then test various aids on you to see what works best. If you are able -- state medicare may help pay for one, the state office for Health and Human Services usually will have an office for Handicappers with employment that also may help pay for the aid. If you just go to a place to purchase one, you may not get what you really do need or what works best for you. Those online schemes are just that, schemes to get your money, which why I say see an audiologist. In Michigan the state office with its social workers for disabled and handicapped will actually pay for the audiologist, too.

I never thought abou
Yeah, this was a treatment option I got from an ear doctor. It works really well at clearing out any debris and healing. I used the mix with an ear irrigation. However, it turns out I was allergic to the regular earmolds, so you might also be allergic to the earmold. There are hypoallergenic earmolds that you may want to look into if you have not.
I never thought about allergies to the earmolds, themselves. My issue is not every day or even every week, just sometimes. Finally getting used to those ear buds!

That depends on the salesperson - source. You really should just see an audiologist and go from there for hearing aid recommendations. They will assess your need and then test various aids on you to see what works best. If you are able -- state medicare may help pay for one, the state office for Health and Human Services usually will have an office for Handicappers with employment that also may help pay for the aid. If you just go to a place to purchase one, you may not get what you really do need or what works best for you. Those online schemes are just that, schemes to get your money, which why I say see an audiologist. In Michigan the state office with its social workers for disabled and handicapped will actually pay for the audiologist, too.

I think that's Medicaid, but I don't qualify for Medicaid, unfortunately. I don't think Medicare pay for hearing aids though. Insurance need to cover hearing aids. I hope the law changes soon! I know Voc Rehab can help, but my experience with them is usually a disappointment. I dread ever opening up a case with them again for anything.

I asked my audiologist and she said you can try for 30 days but you have to pay and they keep a small portion of it if you return it. I don't really like that. I wonder if she has demo hearing aids to try in her office. I will ask. I could e-mail around to see what I can find out. I cannot pay consultation fees to try out different audiologists, you know?

Actually, my medicare does cover hearing aids. It depends on the insurance plan you select. I have a supplement to the regular BCN Advantage plan that covers vision, dental and hearing aids. As for consultant fees, many offer free testing but you have to watch for those advertisements, and they will try to sell one to you. Really, the best bet is to go through the Vocational Rehabilitation department which will guide you through the whole process. Even if you just work part time, that department will help you. Also the Lions Club will help pay for aids.

If there is a costco near you or within a reasonable driving distance, you may want to check them out. They see aids much cheaper than most audiologist. Most are only one version behind the latest models and a few defeatured e.g. no tinnitus features. If you are in the US, you get 180 days to trial them and a full refund if returned. Some other countries it is 90 days which is still a good real period. Their services and follow up are free with membership. They aren't for everyone but worth a look.

Back