Phone reccomendation

Mockingbird

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first cell phone in the near future (I'm 14, I believe everyone in the US gets one at 9 now) and need a good reccomendation that fits some criteria.

- Needs inductive loop/telecoil compatability.
- QWERTY keyboard.
- Durable/long lasting.
- Reasonably priced
- Any other HOH accomodations that exist.

I don't need anything excessive, just the ability to call/text and take a quick picture. Not that I'm not open to buying a smartphone though.

Verizon has a plan that's specifically for the deaf and hard of hearing. There plan is nationwide messaging. That is probably the best plan you can get if you do not need to use voice.

For verizon you can get the lg env2, voyager, or blackberry storm, just depends on how much you have to spend. Those are their best phones for texting, email, and online stuff. If you want durable get screen protectors, case, and holster. Check out mybat.com for those accessories.

hmm..
What's your budget range maximum?
Unlocked or specific carrier?

I don't know of any phone that would work with inductive loop/telecoil. Just about every cell phone I've worked with will give me a weird buzzing sound when my hearing aid was in that mode.

You're better off using regular microphone mode when using cell phones.

nokia makes a variety of cell phones that use inductive loops. the inductive loops are specifically designed to work with all nokia phones.

I'm looking to get my first cell phone in the near future (I'm 14, I believe everyone in the US gets one at 9 now)

I do not believe every 9 years old gets one. I would never allow my 9 yrs old kid have cell, period. I would only allow landline connection.

nokia makes a variety of cell phones that use inductive loops. the inductive loops are specifically designed to work with all nokia phones.

Don't those inductive loop deals have 3.5mm plugs on them?

I do not believe every 9 years old gets one. I would never allow my 9 yrs old kid have cell, period. I would only allow landline connection.

Is your kid deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing? Just curious, because some deafs, kids or not, need cell phones for communication reasons and emergency reason. Cell phones are a life line in communication and emergencies for many deafs.

Check the phone's ratings - usually given as M3/M4 for interference control and T3/T4 for telecoil use.

Hearies, howcome for hundreds of years no one has cell phone, they come out just fine, whats so difference?

Bottom line is RESPONSIBLITY, having cell phone involves responsiblity. The privilage of getting cell phone from parents needs to be earned.

All schools are required to have telephones that would be used in event of emergencies so there is no point of needing cell phones. And with 9 years olds, I do not expect them to roam just about anywhere as they pleases for safety reason. Cell phone is like telling kids, ok you can go anywhere... that is bad idea.

I ain't gonna spoil my kids, no way!

Is your kid deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing? Just curious, because some deafs, kids or not, need cell phones for communication reasons and emergency reason. Cell phones are a life line in communication and emergencies for many deafs.

Hearies, howcome for hundreds of years no one has cell phone, they come out just fine, whats so difference?

Bottom line is RESPONSIBLITY, having cell phone involves responsiblity. The privilage of getting cell phone from parents needs to be earned.

All schools are required to have telephones that would be used in event of emergencies so there is no point of needing cell phones. And with 9 years olds, I do not expect them to roam just about anywhere as they pleases for safety reason. Cell phone is like telling kids, ok you can go anywhere... that is bad idea.

Yeah... I think it's possible for a phone service provider to offer child control plans where the parents can control manually how many minutes and how many text messages their kids can use.

I had to agree with DHB....I would not SPOIL my kid. If he wants cell phone, then wait till he is old enough to get a job to pay for it.

All right, if you want to talk about the proper age of cell phone usage and whatnot get a room.

The LG env2 looks like a good candidate, but if possible I'd like to see something with a T4/M4 rating. I'm trying to keep it under 250ish, not that I can't do more. A QWERTY keyboard isn't necessary.

In nokia phones, is the induction loop compatability an external accessory? I was looking at accessories and there were induction loop accessories for ~$75 :shock:

I prefer to use the notepad in my cell phone when I need to write rather then kill another tree. Most phones in schools are not deaf friendly they are for hearies. My school was this way. No tty, tt, ttd, captioning, etc.

All right, if you want to talk about the proper age of cell phone usage and whatnot get a room.

The LG env2 looks like a good candidate, but if possible I'd like to see something with a T4/M4 rating. I'm trying to keep it under 250ish, not that I can't do more. A QWERTY keyboard isn't necessary.

In nokia phones, is the induction loop compatability an external accessory? I was looking at accessories and there were induction loop accessories for ~$75 :shock:

Most cell phones now a days have that 3.5 mm receptacle. You can plug in a neckloop to that.

Here's one for $36.75 http://www.fullcompass.com/product/297810.html

If for a child, I would consider getting a prepaid option as to set a limit. Does wildcard fulfill
all your need.

Prepaid cell phone - Wild Card cell phone

Otherwise look around - just avoid Tracfone - terrible service, just cheap.

Btw, you're best off getting a t-coil neckloop w/ a 3.5mm plug. Be sure that any phone you buy
has this plug. Not all cellphone has this plug - some has their own "propriety" plug for headsets.

Sheng-Chieh

Phone Scoop, in addition to providing detailed information on the various cell phone models, also provides an easy means of searching for phones with your desired HAC rating.

On the Phone Scoop website click on "Phone Finder" (on the left), then click on "Show all options" (4th paragraph down), then scroll almost exactly half way down the page to the heading "Hearing Aid Compatible." Click on the check-box beside the rating you want, then scroll to the bottom and click "Search." I'd suggest you check the last box (M4/T4) to get a list of the most hearing-aid compatible phones.

This search will, at the present time, turn up a good number of phones that have an M4/T4 rating. Unfortunately, it only displays the top 20 phones, so you may have to resort the list to see other phones further down in the results.

Andrews Worldwide Communication, provides an easy checklist so you can choose the desired features your want on your new cell phone. They have just added a new feature to this checklist—Hearing Aid Compatible (the check box for this is "Hear Aid Comp") that will list all the phones that have the M4/T4 rating, thus indicating these phones are the most interference-free phones for hearing aid wearers.

A lot depends on carrier as well. Let me know what you decide. Good Luck

Merlin

(I'm 14, I believe everyone in the US gets one at 9 now)

Excuse me ? i think if you take a real poll in schools across 3-4 towns from where you live,, you will only find less then 10 percent actually have a cell phone overall. You will find that in the city or closest to the city schools, kids will have phones and those who do i would say at least 50 percent are not interested in school. those kids who are out in the country whom are very active in after school activities, sprots, WITH good grades (B+ avg or better), find phones a nescessity due to letting parants know when to pick them up from these said activities.

Now - this being said, do you have good grades ? have you talked to your parants about getting one ? are you involved in more then one school activities (ie: band, sports, clubs, boys scouts, etc )? IF you answered at least one NO in my questions, then IMHO , you may not need your own cell phone unless you can prove why you need one.

sorry for the harsh reality - , but i think your parants will share the same feelings as I do.

Now - this being said, do you have good grades ? 6 A's and 1 B, four IB classes have you talked to your parants about getting one ? Yes are you involved in more then one school activities (ie: band, sports, clubs, boys scouts, etc )? Yes IF you answered at least one NO in my questions, then IMHO , you may not need your own cell phone unless you can prove why you need one.

I'm also looking for a job. Just to clear up any confusion I'm paying for this phone myself, so please, no more preaching about how cell phones aren't necessary and et cetera (nobody in particular).

Back