Phonak naida or Oticon exceed

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,
I feel that I may change my hearing aid , Iam using a phonak now but it's only on one ear and I have bilateral hearing loss , Iam thinking of getting hearing aids for both ears
Have anyone used any of these hearing aids ? Did it help with speech recognition ? I will be speaking to my audiologist of course ,but any reviews/experiences would be appreciated , my hearing loss is moderate , but it's almost Moderatly severe and I have a hard time hearing anything through masks especially on public

The only way you can figure out if it works for you, is by trying it. Hearing loss responds differently to different aids. I do suggest however, going with BTEs since they're the most powerful

I used the Naida's before I got my CIs. I liked them. But as deafdyke says, you need to trial them and any others to determine what works best for you. I had trialed another brand before I got my CIs and did not like them.

I have a hard time hearing anything through masks especially on public
yes this is a big challenge for all deafs and hard of hearing. Sounds are muffled so with the normal hearing aid adjustment may not pick up on sounds alone. And that we rely a lot of visual cues such as lip reading and facial expressions. Definitely ask your audiologist to see if they can make it louder. Otherwise, do rely on gestures and ask the speaker to write or use your text to speech app such as Google Live transcribe. If you're communicating with someone wearing a mask like a co worker maybe find a clear mask for them to wear? Just some ideas. I don't communicate much unless it's a store clerk which is pretty routine do you need a bag? and if I don't hear too clear I will point to me ears and say oh I'm deaf and sometimes they will be a bit more gesture like point a bag and stuff. It sucks yes, I miss people smiles!

Hello everyone ,
I feel that I may change my hearing aid , Iam using a phonak now but it's only on one ear and I have bilateral hearing loss , Iam thinking of getting hearing aids for both ears
Have anyone used any of these hearing aids ? Did it help with speech recognition ? I will be speaking to my audiologist of course ,but any reviews/experiences would be appreciated , my hearing loss is moderate , but it's almost Moderatly severe and I have a hard time hearing anything through masks especially on public
I have two Phonak Naidis but only wear one. I like to be able to breath in one ear....JK. Actually it's good to have an expensive spare. When I got them, and tried them, it wasn't like magic to hear the words. I lost my hearing @3 yrs of age to measles and high fever 110 degrees which gave me dead nerves. So I'm 96% deaf, used to be an excellent lip reader, now I'm 70, lost my respect to people and friends whom either think I'm faking it, truth me told, I'm not, but I had habits of nodding yes and no to the question or discussion which I didn't understand, so it's worked out for me. That's not good!!! Shame on me, I get tired of asking to repeat, and of course many people get tired of repeating. It's shame on me for not going to school for deaf, I didn't like the hands flying in the air communication, even deafs don't want me in their group cause i speak so well and don't know sign. Therefore I'm limited in friends. It is a tough decision to make being in hearing world or deaf world, there's not many in between worlds. So all I can say is God Bless everyone, and deal with it the best way they know how to. Sorry this dragged on.
Have a great day!!
Sincerely, Wayne

I have two Phonak Naidis but only wear one. I like to be able to breath in one ear....JK. Actually it's good to have an expensive spare. When I got them, and tried them, it wasn't like magic to hear the words. I lost my hearing @3 yrs of age to measles and high fever 110 degrees which gave me dead nerves. So I'm 96% deaf, used to be an excellent lip reader, now I'm 70, lost my respect to people and friends whom either think I'm faking it, truth me told, I'm not, but I had habits of nodding yes and no to the question or discussion which I didn't understand, so it's worked out for me. That's not good!!! Shame on me, I get tired of asking to repeat, and of course many people get tired of repeating. It's shame on me for not going to school for deaf, I didn't like the hands flying in the air communication, even deafs don't want me in their group cause i speak so well and don't know sign. Therefore I'm limited in friends. It is a tough decision to make being in hearing world or deaf world, there's not many in between worlds. So all I can say is God Bless everyone, and deal with it the best way they know how to. Sorry this dragged on.
Have a great day!!
Sincerely, Wayne
Awww. I'm so sorry you don't feel like you fit in. Too bad that you weren't sent to an oral deaf school back in the day.You would have found a community.

yes this is a big challenge for all deafs and hard of hearing. Sounds are muffled so with the normal hearing aid adjustment may not pick up on sounds alone. And that we rely a lot of visual cues such as lip reading and facial expressions. Definitely ask your audiologist to see if they can make it louder. Otherwise, do rely on gestures and ask the speaker to write or use your text to speech app such as Google Live transcribe. If you're communicating with someone wearing a mask like a co worker maybe find a clear mask for them to wear? Just some ideas. I don't communicate much unless it's a store clerk which is pretty routine do you need a bag? and if I don't hear too clear I will point to me ears and say oh I'm deaf and sometimes they will be a bit more gesture like point a bag and stuff. It sucks yes, I miss people smiles!
I do miss smiles as well
Yes I do use Google transcribe sometimes , where I live it's not as inclusive anywhere , I went to a doctor appointment who refused to write or even let me get my mobile close enough to get captions n Google transcribe , I had no idea how to communicate ,my mother doesn't speak perfect English so she understands very little from him , doctor visits are such a nightmare for me , surprisingly he is an ENT doctor

Have a great day!!
Sincerely, Wayne
Yeah totally relate to the people thinking Iam faking because I used to be able to lip-read , not actually thinking Iam faking just being completely either insensitive about it or not including me in anything because they don't to bother with me , I hope it gets better for all of us

I do miss smiles as well
Yes I do use Google transcribe sometimes , where I live it's not as inclusive anywhere , I went to a doctor appointment who refused to write or even let me get my mobile close enough to get captions n Google transcribe , I had no idea how to communicate ,my mother doesn't speak perfect English so she understands very little from him , doctor visits are such a nightmare for me , surprisingly he is an ENT doctor
That is extreme and the law says that they are required to provide an interpreter if you request one. Also, be aware the ENT stands for ear, nose & throat. So it may have been someone that specializes in nose or throat problems rather than ears and has not kept up with the ear part.

Also, at times having a corded mic on your phone can be more acceptable rather that getting the whole phone that close to them. Even when that is not an issue I prefer the corded mic as it is easier for me to get the phone screen where I can most easily read it and the mic where it picks up the best. It also avoids holding the phone in such a way that the mic in the phone is covered up.

I don't really live in the United States , my needs are pretty much dismissed all the time and Iam not really aware of any laws that may help me ,I end up being discriminated against in various situations
But the corded mic idea seems good ,I would look into it ,thanks
That is extreme and the law says that they are required to provide an interpreter if you request one. Also, be aware the ENT stands for ear, nose & throat. So it may have been someone that specializes in nose or throat problems rather than ears and has not kept up with the ear part.

Also, at times having a corded mic on your phone can be more acceptable rather that getting the whole phone that close to them. Even when that is not an issue I prefer the corded mic as it is easier for me to get the phone screen where I can most easily read it and the mic where it picks up the best. It also avoids holding the phone in such a way that the mic in the phone is covered up.

And another thing , how well does it work? Does it catch speech even if someone is not very close to me ? Any brand suggestions?

And another thing , how well does it work? Does it catch speech even if someone is not very close to me ? Any brand suggestions?
The law I referred to is in the US.

The mic does have to be fairly close to who's speech you want to pickup but that is one of the advantages of the cord. You can hold it at arms length and still have the phone held where the screen is easy to read. Or if you know you will want to get someone that is even further away clip it on something (I have used a folding yardstick at times) to hold it even further out.

You can get them quite cheep and almost and amount higher. I think I paid around $13 on ebay several years ago for my first one that had a decent length cord and two addition pieces that could be plugged into each other to make a very long one (which I had never tried). I had taken to coiling it up but plugged in even when not using it and it eventually lost contact where the plug joins the cord and did not make a reliable contact. I recently ran across some at Walmart that were cut from $9.95 to $8.95 (plus sales tax) on closeout with just the decent length cord but no extensions. Those were labled as Bower. Lavalier Microphone for smartphones and tablets. They have has a 3.5 mm auxiliary input = headphone jack on an Android phone. Box also shows the web site bowerusa.com. Both brands have done will for me until I put too much strain on the first one.

Hope this is helpful they have been for me.

The law I referred to is in the US.

The mic does have to be fairly close to who's speech you want to pickup but that is one of the advantages of the cord. You can hold it at arms length and still have the phone held where the screen is easy to read. Or if you know you will want to get someone that is even further away clip it on something (I have used a folding yardstick at times) to hold it even further out.

You can get them quite cheep and almost and amount higher. I think I paid around $13 on ebay several years ago for my first one that had a decent length cord and two addition pieces that could be plugged into each other to make a very long one (which I had never tried). I had taken to coiling it up but plugged in even when not using it and it eventually lost contact where the plug joins the cord and did not make a reliable contact. I recently ran across some at Walmart that were cut from $9.95 to $8.95 (plus sales tax) on closeout with just the decent length cord but no extensions. Those were labled as Bower. Lavalier Microphone for smartphones and tablets. They have has a 3.5 mm auxiliary input = headphone jack on an Android phone. Box also shows the web site bowerusa.com. Both brands have done will for me until I put too much strain on the first one.

Hope this is helpful they have been for me.

Back