Phantom sounds.

soutthpaw

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else with zero residual hearing such as bilateral cochlear implants or part of the 5% Deaf population with no functional sound perception has these experiences.
The explanation is that the brain converts sound pressure waves or vibrations to sound. Examples are Harley motorcycle passing, balloon popping, dropping something on floor etc. I swear up and down I heard it and even turn to look where it came from. I'm usually pretty good at turning to look at in the right direction of the source of the sound.
I think it's actually kind of cool.
The other one is picking up the buzz using CI when passing under high voltage power wires or going through metal detectors or theft prevention devices at stores entrances.
Also wonder if people who are deaf since birth have these experiences.

I have the phantom ear syndrome... it is really strange. Like shutting the door, dropping stuff turning on the water, I think I hear it but in reality I can hear NOTHING...lol
sometimes I shut the door and think I heard it slam, I will turn and knock/hit it really hard and there is nothing.... not the least little bit of noise...lol
I hear a buzz, just like when I got the first implant, its just nerves as there is actually no sounds... like tennitus in a ways...

I don't notice something until it stops they seem to relax then I know something was going on having MRI scan find out what.it not nice

Back