petition to have the White House officially recognize ASL

Recognizing ASL as a legitimate language is NOT the same as asking it be the official language of a country. :lol:

hmm, and being offical wont be sufficient either...a whole lot more depth has to be explored and banged on...

hmm, and being offical wont be sufficient either...a whole lot more depth has to be explored and banged on...

Grummer, it isn't so much that as it is our belief that all languages are respected.........which is kinda ironic because there was a time when one had to be proficient in the English language to become a naturalized citizen if I'm recalling this correctly.

Grummer, it isn't so much that as it is our belief that all languages are respected.........which is kinda ironic because there was a time when one had to be proficient in the English language to become a naturalized citizen if I'm recalling this correctly.

hmm yep,...and more to the point as for the variety of d/Deaf people abroad, we get a double whammy of being laden with misguided notion of deafness AND a misguided marginalisation as disabled. Put differently, most of us who falls into a lingual or cultural or social brackets of being described as d/Deaf, we are also being described as not mentally-formitable or having a natural status as a person...but you're right there was a time, when it was a more hardlined approached whereas now it is more open for discussion, but in reality, not alot has changed that much...it wasnt until the 1970's yes 1970 or even as late as early 1980's deaf people's use of sign language was frowned on as mental health problem, rather than as an actual language deaf people use.

and yet even now, right now, d/Deaf people ARE still being judged on how much fluency we have on English to pass off as not mentally-challenged! its still quite ridiculous outthere right here right now in 2012...

Any news on ASL petition from the White House?

I heard the required number of signatures (25k) was met and, in doing so, compels the President to say something. I don't know the rest of the protocol, etc.....

I tried to sign the petition but I could not get in because I am not in USA. I am up here in Canada. Dang!!! ASL is important to us, to the Deaf community and to the deaf/hard of hearing children because it is our primary language. No one should take away from us.

As for Native Americans, their dialect languages which are different in many different tribes need to recognized too. But no, they took away our traditions and cultures including native languages so we have to follow their ways. They were not the first people here, but we were First Nations and have been here for eons (years). It was the fault of Columbus who had the nerve to come here thinking that our country was India which was a poor navigation way not know where he was suppose to go. "Indian" is not our title of what Columbus want to call us. The name for us got stuck but we would rather be call "Native or Aboriginal" but a lot of time we like to be call by our tribe names like for me as Cree/ Cherokee. That is what I want to be call. We were not comfortable with dressing up clothes their way, speaking their English their way (very difficult to pronounce with our tongues), getting haircut their way, and having them call us "Savage or Indian" their way. They took our children away from their families and put in residential school or adoption homes making the children think that their parents are dead which they are not. They took our lands, our forests, our waters and tried to put us into smaller reservation. We have no voice to speak up or tried to say "No" to them. That is why we are having the rally for #Idle No More to protest on what the whites have done to our countries and to our people especially in First Nations. That is all I have to say. :(

Right now I could not sign the petition to allow to have our ASL to be recognized as our primary language. :(

I tried to sign the petition but I could not get in because I am not in USA. I am up here in Canada. Dang!!! ASL is important to us, to the Deaf community and to the deaf/hard of hearing children because it is our primary language. No one should take away from us.

As for Native Americans, their dialect languages which are different in many different tribes need to recognized too. But no, they took away our traditions and cultures including native languages so we have to follow their ways. They were not the first people here, but we were First Nations and have been here for eons (years). It was the fault of Columbus who had the nerve to come here thinking that our country was India which was a poor navigation way not know where he was suppose to go. "Indian" is not our title of what Columbus want to call us. The name for us got stuck but we would rather be call "Native or Aboriginal" but a lot of time we like to be call by our tribe names like for me as Cree/ Cherokee. That is what I want to be call. We were not comfortable with dressing up clothes their way, speaking their English their way (very difficult to pronounce with our tongues), getting haircut their way, and having them call us "Savage or Indian" their way. They took our children away from their families and put in residential school or adoption homes making the children think that their parents are dead which they are not. They took our lands, our forests, our waters and tried to put us into smaller reservation. We have no voice to speak up or tried to say "No" to them. That is why we are having the rally for #Idle No More to protest on what the whites have done to our countries and to our people especially in First Nations. That is all I have to say. :(

Right now I could not sign the petition to allow to have our ASL to be recognized as our primary language. :(

"Stone-age Europeans were the first to set foot on North America, beating American Indians by some 10,000 years, new archaeological evidence suggests."

Stone-age Europeans 'were the first to set foot on North America' - Telegraph

"But the mastodon relic found near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay turned out to be 22,000 years old, suggesting that the blade was just as ancient."]But the mastodon relic found near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay turned out to be 22,000 years old, suggesting that the blade was just as ancient."

'Further, the Eastern Shore blades strongly resemble those found at dozens of Solutrean sites from the Stone Age in Spain and France, Stanford says. “We can match each one of 18 styles up to the sites in Europe.”'

Radical theory of first Americans places Stone Age Europeans in Delmarva 20,000 years ago - Washington Post

I wonder what happened to them :hmm:

"Stone-age Europeans were the first to set foot on North America, beating American Indians by some 10,000 years, new archaeological evidence suggests."

Stone-age Europeans 'were the first to set foot on North America' - Telegraph

"But the mastodon relic found near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay turned out to be 22,000 years old, suggesting that the blade was just as ancient."]But the mastodon relic found near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay turned out to be 22,000 years old, suggesting that the blade was just as ancient."

'Further, the Eastern Shore blades strongly resemble those found at dozens of Solutrean sites from the Stone Age in Spain and France, Stanford says. “We can match each one of 18 styles up to the sites in Europe.”'

Radical theory of first Americans places Stone Age Europeans in Delmarva 20,000 years ago - Washington Post

I wonder what happened to them :hmm:

Pfffft! There is no evidence because they assumed whatever they want to say "Oh, we were here first from Europe especially from Norway or Vikings". The scientists don't know anything about that and made assumption like that. We laughed at them and think what they want to say they were here first before we, Native Americans, came here. All this talk about that is bullshit. They don't know anything about dinosaurs as they are fossils (bones) and made an assumption on what the dinosaurs look like. Beside, I don't like having you throw down my throat thinking that I am wrong every time you think you know everything about our Mother Earth. Leave the mystery alone. :mad:

Pfffft! There is no evidence because they assumed whatever they want to say "Oh, we were here first from Europe especially from Norway or Vikings". The scientists don't know anything about that and made assumption like that. We laughed at them and think what they want to say they were here first before we, Native Americans, came here. All this talk about that is bullshit. They don't know anything about dinosaurs as they are fossils (bones) and made an assumption on what the dinosaurs look like. Beside, I don't like having you throw down my throat thinking that I am wrong every time you think you know everything about our Mother Earth. Leave the mystery alone. :mad:

Sorry, I knew it was cruel. I only wanted to see your reaction.

And no, the articles weren't about Norway or Vikings at all. It's at least 21,000 years ago... Native Americans migrated into 13,000 years via Bering Strait...

And you know that Eastern shore tribes contain little leftovers of European DNA, did you know that?

My bad for starting this. Again, I knew it's cruel.

You can falsify your information pretty easily.

I hear that you can sign petitions more than once.

Personally, I think the government-run at petitions website is just a part of illusion that drive the masses. Maybe collecting information about individuals as well as awareness.

I will very happy to sign the petition for you, but I have to create a new account.

You can falsify your information pretty easily.

I hear that you can sign petitions more than once.

Personally, I think the government-run at petitions website is just a part of illusion that drive the masses. Maybe collecting information about individuals as well as awareness.

Well, sign more than one petition is dishonesty. :eek3:

I will very happy to sign the petition for you, but I have to create a new account.

Thank you, but you should have your own account to sign the petition. Don't worry about me. You don't have to do that for me. :)

If the "biblical " account of the start of our "civilizations" is "real" re: first persons-"Adam & Eve" ancestors must have "moved" from their birthplace to other locations around this world. Especially since our modern means of transportation didn't seem to exist-except walking. Alternate explanation?

How many "eons/centuries" ago this occurred-unknown exactly.

Thus the question-who was "first" in a specific area of this earth-hard to be exact-so it seems. Does the myths of the extended past be proven?

How much detail info was left by them re"Millions/billions? years ago? Unfortunately- Google wasn't around back then.

Anthropology -anyone?

Last edited:
If the "biblical " account of the start of our "civilizations" re: first persons-"Adam & Eve" ancestors must have "moved" from their birthplace to other locations around this world.

How any "years/centuries" this occurred-unknown exactly.

Thus the question-who was "first" in a specific area of this earth-hard to be exact-so it seems.

Anthropology -anyone?

Took an anthropology class, and I still have the book of fifth edition of "The Stages of Human Evolution".

Rather than talking about this, think I'll use this instead

semenov3_1.jpeg

Back