petition to have the White House officially recognize ASL

What purpose does it serve to have White House recognize ASL? I'm curious why it's important to have White House recognize ASL? What would it do to us? We'll still be using ASL either way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jvxDwLzc_E]President Obama, This is My (ASL) Story - YouTube[/ame]

ASL deserves to be recognized in the whole people's eyes therefore it needs to be an official. SO things would be much easier for everyone. so hearing and deaf babies would learn ASL at a much eariler age, and better english.

My both kids are hearing. Their ASL skill, and English are improving everyday. Amazing!

It's going to be a waste taxer's money... I don't think US is going to wipe our language out like they did to Native American.

English is a recongizable language in the US, but there is no "offical" language in the US. It would take a change in the Constitution to do that else an "official" language would violate Equal Protection, Due Process and a few other things.

This was going around in the Deaf circles on FB, and it still needs 13K+ signatures to go before Dec 12. Granted, you do have to create an account on that page, but the White House doesn't do anything with your personal information.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...age-and-language-instruction-schools/CRPw2JLk

I can think of far more important things that I'd like the White House to recognize, but ASL isn't one of them, and it won't matter to those that use the language either.

Laura

I can think of far more important things that I'd like the White House to recognize, but ASL isn't one of them, and it won't matter to those that use the language either.

It doesn't have to apply to people who don't use ASL. However, ASL as a language for the Deaf does need more federal backing so Deaf people would have more exposure to ASL, especially as children. Oralism/speechreading tends to take precedence over ASL, and families and professionals often drop ASL as the child develops their speech and hearing skills. Resources that include ASL for families are pretty limited as is, and there's a big push to get kids speaking and hearing within their first year before they could even get enough exposure with ASL (and their parents are not the best source of ASL but parents already know plenty about speech).

JMH: It's not going to be a waste of taxpayer dollars. It's a pretty simple process, and the feds only need to declare recognition of and document ASL as a language and that Deaf people are equals. For example, Sweden sees SSL as a real language and encourages its Deaf residents to engage in SSL.

It's a pretty simple process, and the feds only need to declare recognition of and document ASL as a language and that Deaf people are equals. For example, Sweden sees SSL as a real language and encourages its Deaf residents to engage in SSL.

I've been waiting for Italy to recognize Sicilian as a language and show it the respect it's due...never going to happen. If anything, the White House should recognize Native American languages and help perserve them, especially in light of how Native Americans have served this country.

Laura

It doesn't have to apply to people who don't use ASL. However, ASL as a language for the Deaf does need more federal backing so Deaf people would have more exposure to ASL, especially as children. Oralism/speechreading tends to take precedence over ASL, and families and professionals often drop ASL as the child develops their speech and hearing skills. Resources that include ASL for families are pretty limited as is, and there's a big push to get kids speaking and hearing within their first year before they could even get enough exposure with ASL (and their parents are not the best source of ASL but parents already know plenty about speech).

JMH: It's not going to be a waste of taxpayer dollars. It's a pretty simple process, and the feds only need to declare recognition of and document ASL as a language and that Deaf people are equals. For example, Sweden sees SSL as a real language and encourages its Deaf residents to engage in SSL.

Good posting and I couldnt agree with you more.

ASL should be officially recognized as a language.

I've been waiting for Italy to recognize Sicilian as a language and show it the respect it's due...never going to happen. If anything, the White House should recognize Native American languages and help perserve them, especially in light of how Native Americans have served this country.

Laura

But hearing Italians have full access to any spoken languages while deaf people dont. That's the difference.

ASL should be officially recognized as a language.

It already is...Sicilian isn't...and many Native American languages are also not formally recognized and they should be. ASL is no danger of dying out, unlike Cherokee or Siox, etc.

Laura

It already is...Sicilian isn't...and many Native American languages are also not formally recognized and they should be. ASL is no danger of dying out, unlike Cherokee or Siox, etc.

Laura

Cherokee isn't going to die.

Cherokees are the only Native American People who possess a writing system equivalent to the European alphabet. The Cherokee syllabary is the only alphabet in history attributed to be the work of one man, George Gist, known to the world as Sequoyah. Although he did not speak or read the English language, he understood the power of the written word. After twelve years of dedicated work, Sequoyah finished the Cherokee syllabary in 1821. He spent the rest of his life teaching his people how to read and spell.

History of The Cherokee Language

Yeah, many Native American languages survived after US forced them to forget their language and learn English.

Funny, one of Native American language were used to pass secret information or statericially move during WWII that Japanese couldn't break the code because it's not written in any book anywhere.

Yeah, many Native American languages survived after US forced them to forget their language and learn English.

Funny, one of Native American language were used to pass secret information or statericially move during WWII that Japanese couldn't break the code because it's not written in any book anywhere.

Navajo code talkers. Yes, that was amazing.

Back