Petition against "dirty signs" book publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an expression (mostly hearing world) means someone who is a fake or shady and unreliable person. In other words, kokonut might have felt James Kittel didn't take responsibility to everyone for what he did with his book.

ha, I know you mean well. I am sure karissa knows what hearing world expression is. kokos mind is from hearing world i believe so. :aw:

I don't think there's anything bad about signing the petition, but spreading it? Posting it on forums and facebook, good god not facebook, you do not want this going viral. See the people who will sign it, woudn't have bought it in the first place. So technically the whole thing is moot. But by spreading the word about it more and more people will find out about when really very few people really would.

It's not like her book would ever make the NY Times Best Seller List or something. A relatively small amount of people will buy, there will not be lasting ramifications for the Deaf Culture and Community. I mean how many people do really think will walking around swearing in ASL after this book comes out? How LONG do you think people the people that do will even continue to do so? I mean c'mon now. BUT if everybody starts putting up links to sign this thing all over the internet a vast more amount of people WILL hear about it, ones that wouldn't have heard about, wouldn't have bought, but now they'll know. And the girl didn't even have to lift a finger to get more reveue y'all will have all done it for her. By spreading it, you're making her more money.

You also have to realize that this book isn't for educational purposes, it's pure entertainment. Some libraries may ban it, but bookstores won't, you wouldn't be able to stop publication because what she's doing isn't against the law.

btw I only know a handful of ASL signs, one of which is bullshit. Taught to me by my "hearie" counselor at the Vocational Rehabilitation Center because I had to go through a lot of that to get my aids. And know what? I've taught all kinds of people that sign lol. People just like to swear, in any language they can, no big, it ain't nothing but a thing:D

Instead of wasting time on useless quarrels and petitions better someone start writting
a PROPER dictionary.

What's the problem?

Fuzzy

IT HAS to go viral

more so, i got a problem with a 'proper' dictionary, NO hearies has any business to catergorise our language and i Dont care if they are PhDs in Linguists, what good did it bring (or will it do) so far, it did nothing, and more so its just going to give hearies more excuses to ride over us.

more so, i got a problem with a 'proper' dictionary, NO hearies has any business to catergorise our language and i Dont care if they are PhDs in Linguists, what good did it bring (or will it do) so far, it did nothing, and more so its just going to give hearies more excuses to ride over us.

So what would you call a dictionary produced strictly by Deaf people?

Or do you believe no dictionary should be produced at all?

lol it's just as bad as "made in china" American flag.

Instead of wasting time on useless quarrels and petitions better someone start writting
a PROPER dictionary.

What's the problem?

Fuzzy
There are already a bunch out there.

The problem lies in the fact that sign languages are not static; they involve movement. That does not translate well to book form.

This particular book involves mocking of sign language. Deaf people are directly connected to sign language, so mocking the language will, by default, bring the wrath of deaf people onto this project.

There are already a bunch out there.

The problem lies in the fact that sign languages are not static; they involve movement. That does not translate well to book form.

This particular book involves mocking of sign language. Deaf people are directly connected to sign language, so mocking the language will, by default, bring the wrath of deaf people onto this project.

Oh please. I don't see mocking, I see ignorance, at best. Under-education, most likely.

The way I understand from this exact exchange is -the problem with other dictionaries bad words dictionaries is - they do not translate rude sign bad words into same rude spoken bad words.

I say - somebody write the one that is written the way the lady in question wrote.
Explain at the beginning how extremely sensitive sign language is to situation, face contortions and the likes -
problem solved.

Nothing is impossible. Nothing. If you really want to.

The only problem here is, a hearing person wrote the book. has it been a deaf author, nobody would bat an eye, even the mistakes would be forgiven.

Fuzzy

btw, hearing pple are directly connected to their language, too.
For example, your language describes who you are in terms of your nationality -
you are what language you speak.
It's your heritage.

History showed, people have died for the right to speak their mother tongue.

Fuzzy

I am pretty not familiar, what is point, Somemtimes fools book false on your how do you know, impossibles 100 % difficult on says, words They don't know how on find out, impossibles, they expert book, pretty publish or on book sound look likes on writer, tough, how,

Book is very product on wrong or right opinion, disagree, I don't said words, I nothing complaint, hard said high quality research many book!

It is very many book is very lots of lie mock why not not funny serious waste of times book reading, how do you know reading find out on evidence!

Oh please. I don't see mocking, I see ignorance, at best. Under-education, most likely.

The way I understand from this exact exchange is -the problem with other dictionaries bad words dictionaries is - they do not translate rude sign bad words into same rude spoken bad words.

I say - somebody write the one that is written the way the lady in question wrote.
Explain at the beginning how extremely sensitive sign language is to situation, face contortions and the likes -
problem solved.

Nothing is impossible. Nothing. If you really want to.

The only problem here is, a hearing person wrote the book. has it been a deaf author, nobody would bat an eye, even the mistakes would be forgiven.

Fuzzy
We disagree. No shock to me.

I don't see mocking either. The author isn't writing this to "make fun" of deaf people. She's doing it to make some money, albeit a small amount of money because a book of this nature is frankly not going to be high in demand. It's not like this book is going to end up on every coffee table across the world. The people who do this buy this book, and use the signs aren't trying to make fun of deaf people, they just want more variety in the swear repertoire. lol

I myself have a HUGE potty mouth, I swear like a sailor. I know some Spanish swear words, I worked with a lot of Mexicans a few years ago, and you know what? They LOVED teaching me to swear! They'd have fun doing it, especially trying to get me to say it with the right pronunciation since I'm HoH. they certainly never thought I was making fun of them.

Mountains molehills peeps. What plausible ramifications for the Deaf Community can there possibly be if this published. And Audiofuzzy is 100% correct, if a deaf person was going to publish this book there would be no stink. Hell, I don't see too many people making a stink about that video with the guy describing his shit in minute detail to someone who's eating! o_0

Mountains molehills peeps. What plausible ramifications for the Deaf Community can there possibly be if this published. And Audiofuzzy is 100% correct, if a deaf person was going to publish this book there would be no stink. Hell, I don't see too many people making a stink about that video with the guy describing his shit in minute detail to someone who's eating! o_0
Oh really? I would not find any humor in a deaf person making a dictionary of profanity, either. Sorry, I do not find anything good coming from this. It will not increase deaf awareness. It will, most likely, lead to an occasional confrontation when one of the book buyers uses one of these signs to try and start a conversation with a deaf person, sort of like "Hey, I know a sign!" and proceeding to hold up a middle finger salute.

Enjoy your sailor language responsibly.

Oh really? I would not find any humor in a deaf person making a dictionary of profanity, either. Sorry, I do not find anything good coming from this. It will not increase deaf awareness. It will, most likely, lead to an occasional confrontation when one of the book buyers uses one of these signs to try and start a conversation with a deaf person, sort of like "Hey, I know a sign!" and proceeding to hold up a middle finger salute.

Enjoy your sailor language responsibly.

Of course there's not going to be any "good" coming from this, of course it's not going to raise deaf awareness, that is absolutely not the intention of the book. I've already mentioned that this book isn't intended for educational purposes, it's entertainment.

But I notice you say no good could come of this, and yes that is surely the purpose of every book ever written no? But you haven't given a reasonable explanation of the lasting ramification against the Deaf Community that could ensue that warrants stopping the publication of this book.

Sign the petition if you want, but it's not going to do actually stop it. A bunch of people telling the publisher....Hey we don't this idea, is not going to stop them. But if people are going around posting the petition all over the internet a vast vast more people are going to be aware it even exists. Trust me, buying a book to learn profanity in sign is not going to cross very many peoples minds, they're not going to go looking for one, but if people are telling them about it, how many people who the idea never would have even crossed their minds, are now going to go "oh cool" and buy one? you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot here. Best thing to do would have been to ignore it all.

It will, most likely, lead to an occasional confrontation when one of the book buyers uses one of these signs to try and start a conversation with a deaf person, sort of like "Hey, I know a sign!" and proceeding to hold up a middle finger salute.

well, this is how Mr Bean greeted American citizens while in USA....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCF4ydX23Rk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5B9CB1810BD21B73]Mr.Bean - Middle Finger funny video!!! :) - YouTube[/ame]

Fuzzy

Of course there's not going to be any "good" coming from this, of course it's not going to raise deaf awareness, that is absolutely not the intention of the book. I've already mentioned that this book isn't intended for educational purposes, it's entertainment.

But I notice you say no good could come of this, and yes that is surely the purpose of every book ever written no? But you haven't given a reasonable explanation of the lasting ramification against the Deaf Community that could ensue that warrants stopping the publication of this book.

Sign the petition if you want, but it's not going to do actually stop it. A bunch of people telling the publisher....Hey we don't this idea, is not going to stop them. But if people are going around posting the petition all over the internet a vast vast more people are going to be aware it even exists. Trust me, buying a book to learn profanity in sign is not going to cross very many peoples minds, they're not going to go looking for one, but if people are telling them about it, how many people who the idea never would have even crossed their minds, are now going to go "oh cool" and buy one? you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot here. Best thing to do would have been to ignore it all.
No, the book cannot be stopped by a protest. I did not sign the petition, because I realize it will accomplish little, except get my name and email address added to someone's list. That does not mean I should bow out quietly. I find it offensive. You don't. I watch my mouth. You proudly proclaim your vulgarity. No reason we would ever agree on this.

Bye bye. :sadwave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back