Petition against "dirty signs" book publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

melindajanet

Reaction score
I haven't seen this on here yet, so I thought I'd share some links. Kristin Henson, the hearing girl who has a youtube account dedicated to teaching dirty signs is publishing a book, and there's a petition you can sign to stop her from doing so.

Petition: St. Martin's Press: Do not publish Kristin Henson's Super Smutty Sign Language Book | Change.org

There is a facebook event dedicated to this as well with many discussions/videos posted: http://www.facebook.com/events/368801343183225/

Edit (more about this petition):
This book is blatant exploitation of deaf people and American Sign Language (ASL) for profit. Kristin is not deaf and is not a native signer of ASL. The publication of this book perpetuates a long history of the dominant majority in exploiting the bodies, language, and culture of minority populations. This work perpetuates racism, sexism, audism, and is entirely disrespectful to the American Deaf Community and to any population who has had their culture appropriated in racist, sexist, ableist, and ethnocentric ways.

TL;DR: A hearing girl who is not fluent in ASL is about to make money off of teaching (incorrect) dirty signs via book and tv.

Last edited:
BUMP , done, and HURRY UP PEOPLE< STOP BEING SO FUCKING LAZY

Ok, make a video and book on using correct dirty signs by a deaf person.

I haven't seen this on here yet, so I thought I'd share some links. Kristin Henson, the hearing girl who has a youtube account dedicated to teaching dirty signs is publishing a book, and there's a petition you can sign to stop her from doing so.

Petition: St. Martin's Press: Do not publish Kristin Henson's Super Smutty Sign Language Book | Change.org

There is a facebook event dedicated to this as well with many discussions/videos posted: http://www.facebook.com/events/368801343183225/

Edit (more about this petition):
This book is blatant exploitation of deaf people and American Sign Language (ASL) for profit. Kristin is not deaf and is not a native signer of ASL. The publication of this book perpetuates a long history of the dominant majority in exploiting the bodies, language, and culture of minority populations. This work perpetuates racism, sexism, audism, and is entirely disrespectful to the American Deaf Community and to any population who has had their culture appropriated in racist, sexist, ableist, and ethnocentric ways.

TL;DR: A hearing girl who is not fluent in ASL is about to make money off of teaching (incorrect) dirty signs via book and tv.

This is no different from any other dirty book out there for Spanish, Italian, Chinese, etc. It falls under free speech which she's entitled to under the constitution. Just because you disagree with it or don't think she has a "right" - the laws say otherwise and I support it. Let her do a volume I, II, and III. It doesn't affect your life any.....

Isn't the objection because the woman is hearing and signing incorrectly the dirty signs?

OBJECTION! it's because wrong information is hazardous to everybody.

but you don't care but misinformation and disinformation is part of your business, right? you must be elated.

Silly question: is there "correct" ASL signs for "sexual" activities? Is this a "problem" in other sign communication such as: BSL et al?

How does fit the United States "concern" about "free speech/censorship"?

Has this been dealt in with Sociology? Not sure how "racism" fits with "Deafness"?

To date haven't read much in Canadian newspapers on this topic-non important concern?

Last edited:
This is no different from any other dirty book out there for Spanish, Italian, Chinese, etc. It falls under free speech which she's entitled to under the constitution. Just because you disagree with it or don't think she has a "right" - the laws say otherwise and I support it. Let her do a volume I, II, and III. It doesn't affect your life any.....

But the signs are incorrect. That's a bad reflection on the d/Deaf, dirty signs or not. Would you want to buy a book for Spanish, Italian, Chinese, etc. if the words/language were incorrect?

is it ok for anybody to publish a book that's full of wrong information about Republican Party such as Party of No, racist, etc?

It's just tasteless and a bad reflection on the deaf community.

I'm just passing along info. that I thought people here would be interested in and want to discuss. It's your choice whether you agree/disagree and want to sign or not. Don't agree, don't sign. Simple.

Problem is how you know what book she is writing? She never reveal what she is writing about.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

drphil said:
Silly question: is there "correct" ASL signs for "sexual" activities? Is this a "problem" in other sign communication such as: BSL et al?

How does fit the United States "concern" about "free speech/censorship"?

Has this been dealt in with Sociology? Not sure how "racism" fits with "Deafness"?

To date haven't read much in Canadian newspapers on this topic-non important concern?

Yes there are correct ASL signs for sexual language. The standard ASL book for this is "Signs of Sexual Behaviour".

It's important to understand that the signs of this type DO have a legitimate place - they are for describing anatomy, medical issues, reproductive health and sexual situations.

Like spoken English the words/signs can be altered into crude phrasing, however that doesn't mean that is the only thing, or most important thing they are meant for.

What if she writing about her life, her view on Deaf world and etc like that? I find that's hard to believe she will write a book to teach dirty signs. She claimed she's learning. I will say this again. She NEVER reveal what she writing about.

best you can do, and at least DO IT, COMPLAIN, make her known as a theif

Okay. She's learning ASL and showing off the dirty sign language makes her a thief?

i think so, however established laws doesnt say, as long as we havent changed a thing, it will still remain legal...legal yes, but ethically it is still deemed as disrespectful, frivolous, and it's an act of crime -if Deaf Community had it their way.

I am not suppose to come back here but I have to correct you, Joey.

First off-- I am nothing against Kristin at all. I understand she is excited to learn ASL as a beginner. But, what she did teach is mistranslated signs, which is not pure ASL. If she is a fluent ASL and wants to teach correct signs, that would be fine. In fact, a few Deaf people tried to correct her mistranslated signs in a civil way, but she chose to ignore them. It happened a few times... Ended up Deaf people got fed up with her.

Here's a great message:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GFOXsT0oZ8&feature=share]Listen Up, Kristin (of Dirty Signs With Kristin, @thfemale) - YouTube[/ame]

Also-- there are actually some more positive and civil video messages from Deaf people.

Worse, there are a few actual happens. Here's the story:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTk-tWh1GE&feature=share]The Guy say learn from Dirty Signs with Kristin. - YouTube[/ame]

There are very few similar videos like this one. Seriously, I hope it won't happen to me!

I did watch Kristin's videos and most of them are not correct signs.

You can see the young woman made six responses to correct her mistranslated signs:
https://www.youtube.com/user/nem0n00ne/videos?view=0

I know her attitude is uncalled because Kristin didn't listen to Deaf people...

Now, you know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back