Personal Audio Cable Issues

mf723

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a bilateral Nucleus Freedom user. Up to this point, I've used my personal audio cables to listen to devices such as my computer, iPhone, etc. However, the cables are horribly designed and extremely overpriced. Every time I purchase new cables they quickly become cracked and eventually end up breaking. I then have to pay $130 each for new cables from Cochlear. I'm curious if anyone on hear has experienced similar issues and has any suggestions on what can be done or alternatives for listening with CIs. I've always found headphones uncomfortable, but i guess I'd be willing to try them again if anyone can recommend a good pair that is comfortable to wear for lnog periods of time. I've been doing some research and came across neckloops, even one that supports Bluetooth, which sounds really cool. However, my understanding is that they use the T-coil. When I turn on the T-coil on my Freedom, it shuts off the regular mics thus blocking out all environmental noise. Listening to music in this way is not an option for me, as I need to be able to hear what's going on around me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I've had my original for 5 years now. Do you constantly twist them? Try this, buy a bluetooth receiver, hook your cable to it, which solves the problem of having it get in the way when using the music source. Other than this, CI companies will just have to consider a bluetooth receiver attachment.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, my audi recommended that I use Armor-All on all my cables to keep them pliant. Sounds like you are using the cables constantly.

My friend had her freedom (still not allowed to update processor) cable for 8 years, not had to buy a new one. Def ask your Audi to do a t coil and mic program.

Although I don't use one much myself I've read here (do a search) that the ear hook is a much better and stable option than the neck loop. Something like this:

or this:

As said above I'm surprised you don't have a T-Coli and microphone program option loaded. In my remote assistant, in the settings menu, I can balance between T-Coil and microphone input levels. Check that out.

Why do you recommend these options over a neckloop? Just curious as a bluetooth option would definitely be preferable. I've been using the personal audio cables for years and have always wanted a bluetooth option. As far as the T-coil program goes, I have a Freedom (not an N5) so don't have a remote assistant. Is there still some way to enable it myself?

I don't have telecoil added to my CI processors. Don't think I will either. I've been doing fine with headphones. Everyone has their own preferences.

Hi Mike,
I couldn't have stated what you said about the personal audio cables from Cochlear better.
Please let me share to all my solution, I purchased from radio shack a replacement universal audio connecter (to be used for mobile phones, Mp3 etc.) for $5.00. I then contacted a local electrician from the phone book explained that I needed to replace the connector. I was charged $10 for his expertise to replace the connecter. I now have a new metal connector that will last a lifetime.
Carol Anne

Cochlear hasn't changed the design of their cables. I would rather invest $15 than $150 for a personal audio cable.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I know this may sound like a dumb question. I just need to know what this mean. I have my Nadia hearing aids for at least 6 months now. I just like to purchase one of this ClearSounds Quattro Amplified Bluetooth Neckloop with A2DP. What does it means by 2.) Accommodates T-coil and non-T-coil users Loop receiver requires T-coil(s)
3.) Headset jack accommodates audio headset for non-T-coil use (For best results, use the ClearSounds SmartSounds earbuds)30 dB adjustable amplification.
I do have a Compilot.
Thanks
goldpony

I know this may sound like a dumb question. I just need to know what this mean. I have my Nadia hearing aids for at least 6 months now. I just like to purchase one of this ClearSounds Quattro Amplified Bluetooth Neckloop with A2DP. What does it means by 2.) Accommodates T-coil and non-T-coil users Loop receiver requires T-coil(s)
3.) Headset jack accommodates audio headset for non-T-coil use (For best results, use the ClearSounds SmartSounds earbuds)30 dB adjustable amplification.
I do have a Compilot.
Thanks
goldpony

If you have the ComPilot, why are you looking at this neckloop?

I like to have a backup in case my ComPilot quit or while it's in a shop.

Ah, I understand.

Do you have t-coils in your HAs? Do you have a program set up for t-coil?

If you don't have t-coils in your HAs, then you would have to "plug into" the neckloop to use it.

Back