People or $ for movies?

Jane B.

Reaction score
Just saw another TV report about how much different movies earned over the weekend. It got me to wondering once again if the number of people going was ever compared for different movies over the years rather that $ amount of ticket sales. Ticket prices have generally gone up over the years so it takes fewer people to reach a given dollar amount of ticket sales now than years ago.

To be honest unless it been more than 3 months the theaters are almost bringing home NOTHING from the ticket sales themselves. Given that they need to pay the endorsements for the movies that they got the deals from and so on.

That why their soft drinks and popcorn are priced so high.

That is also why candy is about 300%-400% mark up as well.

That is finally why they even grant advertisement slots on the big screen as well before the movie starts tossed in with the previews.

So in the sad truth that the theaters TENDS to make nothing of the $6.50-$12/ticket sales. Unless they gotten demands for the movies for an excess of over 3 months time.

to be honest, I think it is overpriced for movie ticket with coke/popcorn and candy.

Somehow my point is not being recognized. Lets try saying it this way. Since the price of a ticket has gone up over the years it takes fewer tickets to reach a given amount of dollars of sales. So if a movie sells X amount of dollars worth of tickets that is less tickets than it would have taken to reach the same dollar amount of sales years ago. I am wondering if a comparison has ever been made based on the number of tickets sold not the dollar amount.

Somehow my point is not being recognized. Lets try saying it this way. Since the price of a ticket has gone up over the years it takes fewer tickets to reach a given amount of dollars of sales. So if a movie sells X amount of dollars worth of tickets that is less tickets than it would have taken to reach the same dollar amount of sales years ago. I am wondering if a comparison has ever been made based on the number of tickets sold not the dollar amount.

I am not sure if there specifically that in existence. However I was bringing up that point as that isn't relevant for certain metrics for example how well a theater is doing on basing it solely off of ticket sales. Because of the mentioning above.

Back