People are shouting at me

cammomile

Reaction score
I wonder, anybody know, is my hearing aids set too high?
Why I always feel people are shouting at me?
While I complaint to them, they told me, they're not shouting, they're talking to me NORMALLY.

I wear a digital Widex in both ears.....

Many thanks!

OH boy!...I'm stone deaf, no hearing aids or a CI...and people still have "shouted" at me as long as I can remmy.....even got close to my ear and shouted....crude signs and mouthing the words, holding up their moustaches...the list goes on and on.

I sympathize with ya since you wear a H/A....must hurt ur ears when they shout?...

At times I've given people an "education" (haha) about the stupid "shouting"....but as time has gone on...I just simply say..."I'm deaf, so it won't do ya any good to shout!"...but if ur wearing a H/A or a CI...people naturally assume they "need to shout" to be heard!

If your aids are new then you may just need to get used to them. If they're not new then you need your audi to adjust them.

There are two different issues here...

The first could be that people are actually shouting at you. The second could be that your HA is set too high for your comfort level.

As for first, most hearing people are self conscious about shouting with others around if there really isn't a need to shout. Everybody starts to stare and give off signs of disapproval. Other than the odd dense person who doesn't get it, that is most unlikely case. This would be especially true if it seems everybody is doing it.

More likely, you need your HA adjusted to a level you are comfortable with. I wonder if you are able to tone down the volume a bit yourself. I would like to think so but I always had analog HAs and went straight to a CI.

It could be recruitment. Here's an article:

Recruitment from Hearing Loss

Discuss it with your audi.

I was just about to suggest this! :cool2:

Last week my son SHRIEKED in my ear while I was wearing my hearing aids, and I had to take them off for about 3 days. I just couldn't stand to wear them for a while. Definitely unpleasant.

My mother is a SLP, and she's the one who explained the recruitment concept to me. She tends to stomp her feet to get my attention, and other obnoxious things. She really does mean well....she's just really tightly wound. She is convinced I have recruitment. Maybe I do. But my kids say, "Grandma's screeching could peel paint of the walls." :naughty:

My husband voice startles me too. But I have no problems with other people.....so it's possible that the problem isn't with me......

If you can communicate fine with other people and your kids hate the sound, it's not you. BTW, what's SLP?

Another possibility is that people are yelling. There's an easy solution--tell the people to stop yelling. I hate when people yell at me.

She tends to stomp her feet to get my attention, and other obnoxious things. She really does mean well....she's just really tightly wound.

Stomping feet is actually a culturally accepted method of getting ones attention in the Deaf community. As long as the floors vibrate it works quite well!

If you can communicate fine with other people and your kids hate the sound, it's not you. BTW, what's SLP?

Another possibility is that people are yelling. There's an easy solution--tell the people to stop yelling. I hate when people yell at me.

SLP = Speech Language Pathologist.

A tap is okay, stomping so it feels like I'm being set upon like a herd of water buffalo gets to me at times. :eek2:

My mother is hard of hearing herself because of medication - she has tinnitus, and I understand that all that ringing can drive a person seriously batshit.

It could be recruitment. Here's an article:

Recruitment from Hearing Loss

Discuss it with your audi.

Thanks sallylou! I think that's my problem! even it has answered all my hearing problem!
And thanks ya all for all of the other's response! I've been wearing this hearing aids for about 2 years, this is a digital one. I can't wear any analog, because the sound hurt me.

Anybody know, if we who has this recruitment condition, suitable for a cochlear implant?

Thanks sallylou! I think that's my problem! even it has answered all my hearing problem!
And thanks ya all for all of the other's response! I've been wearing this hearing aids for about 2 years, this is a digital one. I can't wear any analog, because the sound hurt me.

Anybody know, if we who has this recruitment condition, suitable for a cochlear implant?

ewww those ignorant yelling people just want to make me SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!!!!!

My mom and dad are very patronizing still after years and they don't get it no matter how many times I tell them nicely

It seems like your digital HA need be re-programming and just contact the audiologist to do that.

lol thats how i usually judge things and how close ppl are to me when im in the house...by the vibrations on the floor...good ol hardwood:)

Hi,

It quite normal that people are unable to adjust the hearing aids properly. Its because of some unwanted sound generated by the device. People must consult the audiologists before taking any hearing aids. Also they must preferred quality and tested hearing aids.

Regards

Have you tried making other sounds?

Perhaps, your hearing aids' volume are set too high?

Try closing the door, starting the car, talking yourself, tapping on the table, knocking on wood, etc...

If all of that sounds loud, then it's probably the volume.

When you first wear hearing aids, it may take time to get used to the proper volume level at a good comfort level.

hearingabc, you sound like someone who has never worn a hearing aid before. :laugh2:

I remember I had severe recruitment before I got my CI.. It was so bad that the sound of dishes clinking against each while I washed dishes other would set off ringing in my ear. I didn't wear my HA except at family reunions for the last two years before I got my CI cuz it was very bad.

You may want to try reprogramming your HA but if that doesn't work.. If all else fails, you may want to consider CI. If you don't want one, you dont' have to get it.. your decision.

Back