Pda/ Hsdpa

SherryCherish

Reaction score
I'm sorry I just happened read some forums/thread here. I just want to know whats HSDPA? is it "High Speed Downlink Packet Access"? Whats good about it? :hyper: :dunno:

Which PDA going have it? Just out of curious.

I read othter article,

What is HSDPA?

A long string of letters, HSDPA refers to a new release in 3G telephony standards, issued by 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project), a mobile industry standards-setting body. The latest release boosts downlink speeds from the current end-user rate of 384 kbps (up to 2 Mbps according to standards) to a maximum value according to standards of 14.4 Mbps. Real life end-user speeds will be in the range of 2 to 3 Mbps. That's fast!

Downlink, by the way, is what you get while uplink is what you send . So boosting the downlink speed means that when you request information (like a video clip or a PowerPoint file), the data will download at blistering speeds onto your cell phone, laptop or PDA.

The new release provides for two delivery systems (or modulations). One of these, with a maximum downlink speed of 3.6 Mb/s, is mandatory. The other, with a maximum downlink speed of 14.4 Mbps, is optional. Alcatel is offering both modulations, to provide maximum speeds for operators and end-users alike.

In addition to increased speeds, HSDPA boosts traffic capacity on existing networks by up to 100% and dramatically improves quality of service. This makes for a cost-effective solution that generates the capacity and bandwidth needed to deliver 3G services.

Making Life Easy

HSDPA will make life easy for 3G customers, providing vastly better service for both corporate users and individuals, with data delivered at speeds comparable to or better than fixed-line broadband access systems.

* Corporate users will have easy and secure mobile access to corporate networks, with rapid retrieval and downloading of confidential corporate information.
* Consumers will enjoy superior quality for video services, including video streaming and gaming.
* All customers will enjoy fast Web browsing, with rapid access to graphics-heavy Internet sites.

HSDPA also offers significantly improved indoor mobile service coverage, making 3G services fully available in large buildings, shopping centers, metros and other hard-to-cover areas. Indeed, an absolute must!

But wonder what PDA going have it?

ok it is same idea as u have high speed internet at home but u can surf online on ur PDA. or u can surf online on laptop with pda as modem.

evdo and hsdpa are different in bandwidth.

right now we have ev-do/cdma pda under verizon and sprint in usa. evdo goes from 200 to 800kbps. cingular has hsdpa at 20 major cities and will expand hsdpa in 60 major cities at end of 2006 i think. tmobile hasnt started up yet.

Sound awesome its very useful for web broswer or download. Thanks.. its all new to me.

SherryCherish said:
Sound awesome its very useful for web broswer or download. Thanks.. its all new to me.

yep.. sometimes i video myself signing on my own pda's built in camera/camcorder then i email the videos to my friends PCs or mobiles or my wife's pda. it is fun !

SherryCherish said:
damn! thats alots stuff on that small pda. but what ev-do and cdma?

evdo is data and cdma is voice.

hsdpa is both - data and voice together.

hsdpa is more advantage than evdo/cdma because GSM's coverage includes hsdpa is 70% in world and evdo/cdma's coverage is 30% in world...

if u bring ur evdo/cdma mobile to europe, it wont work. only GSM mobiles can work in Europe.

USA and Canada have strong evdo/cdma networks. South Korea has evdo/cdma network i think.

hsdpa and evdo/cdma wont work in japan cuz it has its own different network. :dunno:

deafclimber said:
hsdpa is more advantage than evdo/cdma because GSM's coverage includes hsdpa is 70% in world and evdo/cdma's coverage is 30% in world...

if u bring ur evdo/cdma mobile to europe, it wont work. only GSM mobiles can work in Europe.

USA and Canada have strong evdo/cdma networks. South Korea has evdo/cdma network i think.

hsdpa and evdo/cdma wont work in japan cuz it has its own different network. :dunno:

I am not sure about UMT and WCDMA in future.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA6356469.html?nid=2965

GSA: HSDPA Networks Proliferating

By Susan Rush
July 26, 2006

High-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) networks are on pace to reach 80 deployments by year's end, according to a new survey from the Global mobile Suppliers Association (GSM).

To date, 45 commercial HSDPA networks have launched worldwide. This number represents 150-percent growth over the past three months, GSM says. In Europe, 15 EU countries are already delivering HSDPA services and seven more have made formal commitments to launch the technology. HSDPA supporters include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Madeira, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

In the United States, Cingular is making a big HSDPA push with its Broadband Connect UMTS/HSPDA service. The carrier's 3G coverage currently spans more than 50 U.S. markets, with most recent launches occurring in San Antonio and Atlanta. The goal, according to Cingular, is to expand its 3G reach to most major U.S. markets by the end of 2006.

In addition to efforts in the United States and the EU, several other countries have already embraced the technology, including Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Korea, Bahrain, Israel, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and the UAE.

Earlier this month, Qualcomm said it is on target to release commercial high-speed uplink packet access (HSUPA) technology in early 2007. The CDMA pioneer says it has already completed test calls using its Mobile Station Modem (MSM) 7200 HSUPA chipset, which delivers 2.0 Mbps on the uplink.

Back