Patience of a saint

But . . . what is the big deal over using impaired (which I have learned here is a common attitude for some especially that consider themselves Deaf rather than deaf) it is just that which gives us the ability to hear is broken. I don't see how it can refer to more than that!
Maybe it's just me but I've had quite a few mothers at the park and such be like ohh she's deaf how bad for her , maybe that's why I feel like that. Just in general (not every hearing person) but a lot when they encounter us have that I feel sorry for you guys or poor you vibe going on. I guess it's made me a bit defensive

Maybe it's just me but I've had quite a few mothers at the park and such be like ohh she's deaf how bad for her , maybe that's why I feel like that. Just in general (not every hearing person) but a lot when they encounter us have that I feel sorry for you guys or poor you vibe going on. I guess it's made me a bit defensive

It is a matter of having it and not wanting to do without it. So, feel that way about others as well. Not hearing does not need to stop anyone but for me it sure makes life harder and I think that is what most of them are getting at. Stop and think of all the things that you have to find a "work around" for if you can't hear as much as most people. It is a need for additional equipment (that may seem normal to you if most of the people you interact with are Deaf or HOH) to it being more time consuming to write things down to someone that does not know ASL rather than both of you just speak.

You have every right to be. Those special snowflakes don't know shit. You should send them here. We will give them the Patience of a Saint treatment. You get 1st dibs of course. :)

Last edited:
It is a matter of having it and not wanting to do without it. So, feel that way about others as well. Not hearing does not need to stop anyone but for me it sure makes life harder and I think that is what most of them are getting at. Stop and think of all the things that you have to find a "work around" for if you can't hear as much as most people. It is a need for additional equipment (that may seem normal to you if most of the people you interact with are Deaf or HOH) to it being more time consuming to write things down to someone that does not know ASL rather than both of you just speak.
Most of us have adjusted to what we've been given. So, it takes more effort to communicate. I don't let that get me down or make me a grumpy person. I deal with it the best I can. It is what it is.

Most of us have adjusted to what we've been given. So, it takes more effort to communicate. I don't let that get me down or make me a grumpy person. I deal with it the best I can. It is what it is.

Right. I was trying to illustrate where the reactions she talked about getting are coming from which are mainly from people that are not dealing with deafness on a daily or even regular basis if not daily.

You have every right to be. Those special snowflakes don't know shit. You should send them here. We will give them the Patience of a Saint treatment. You get 1st dibs of course. :)
Yeah the next time some asks me if she's "slow" mentally just because she has to wear a hearing aid or avoids her like the plague ill remember to redirect them here so they can ask their questions (that might include some of her aunts and cousins too )

Yeah the next time some asks me if she's "slow" mentally just because she has to wear a hearing aid or avoids her like the plague ill remember to redirect them here so they can ask their questions (that might include some of her aunts and cousins too )
Ask them if they're slow because they apparently are lacking some brain tissue. :o

Send them all. And their neighbors too. We got your back. Really, Its a shame, that you gotta deal with this/them. Maggie is gonna be just fine. Ask anyone here. :)

But . . . what is the big deal over using impaired (which I have learned here is a common attitude for some especially that consider themselves Deaf rather than deaf) it is just that which gives us the ability to hear is broken. I don't see how it can refer to more than that!

Probably because in years past, to some the term "impaired" kind of carries a negative meaning. My hearing isn't broken.. how can it be broken if it was never there in the first place? I guess that's how many deaf see it. I can't speak for individuals who became deaf before the age of 18- but I do know one who became deaf at 11 but still refers to himself as deaf (and prefers ASL). I do get that adults may prefer impaired. Interestingly I came across a quote that I agreed with and considered posting. I'll have to try to find it again though...

@Jane B.

In my opinion it's the connotation that comes with it, impaired has a negative connotation with it.

As for Deaf, it's a pretty unique and amazing community, if people are respectfull, hearing or Deaf , the Deaf community seems to me one of the most open and accepting communities.

@Maggiesmom no worries, no offence taken at all ;)

Keep doing what you do for Maggie, she'll grow up an awesome person without a doubt with parents that care to adapt for her :)
I'm sure you have all of us rooting for her

This does not fit the attitude of most that have posted in this thread but I am wondering what their answer is if Maggie learns about CI later and the recommendation that they be put in as early as possible for the best outcome. And then, as a result of leaning that past that age, she is furious that she was not given one!

This does not fit the attitude of most that have posted in this thread but I am wondering what their answer is if Maggie learns about CI later and the recommendation that they be put in as early as possible for the best outcome. And then, as a result of leaning that past that age, she is furious that she was not given one!
It is the parents responsibility to decide what is best for their kids. Sometimes we make bad decisions, but it is what it is.
By the time Maggie is old enough to even think about it, we may have hair cell regeneration and gene therapy that may restore her hearing.
There is NOTHING wrong with raising a deaf child w/o a CI. It is wrong to not provide the child ways to communicate, though.

It is the parents responsibility to decide what is best for their kids. Sometimes we make bad decisions, but it is what it is.
By the time Maggie is old enough to even think about it, we may have hair cell regeneration and gene therapy that may restore her hearing.
There is NOTHING wrong with raising a deaf child w/o a CI. It is wrong to not provide the child ways to communicate, though.

That maybe what happens but I was asking for what peoples answer would be if the situation was what was presented in my post.

I am going to practice what I tell my older children and take a few moments to process how I am feel before I say anything hurtul in response to anyone and I will compile my list of reasoning for the choices my husband and i have made shortly

I am going to practice what I tell my older children and take a few moments to process how I am feel before I say anything hurtful in response to anyone and I will compile my list of reasoning for the choices my husband and i have made shortly

I like the idea of doing that. Please don't forget that it is not just you and your husband that I am wondering about but others that have posted.

What is with calling people "snowflakes " ?? When people hear that we're getting a snow storm in New England they run to the grocery stores and stock up on food ,water flashlights batteries and candles . There is nothing sissy about being a " snowflake" here ! We know how powerful whole a lot of " snowflakes " can be and the damage they can do ! Try digging out a 8 ft. snow bank !

What is with calling people "snowflakes " ?? When people hear that we're getting a snow storm in New England they run to the grocery stores and stock up on food ,water flashlights batteries and candles . There is nothing sissy about being a " snowflake" here ! We know how powerful whole a lot of " snowflakes " can be and the damage they can do ! Try digging out a 8 ft. snow bank !

Uh we're not talking about snow.. Good grief.

It's July and here we are, getting a lecture about winter storms in New England. :lol: @WDYS.

Well. .. . I guess it can be one way to try to feel cooler. It is 91F here and the "feel like" temp is 98F. We are under an excessive heat watch for it to go even higher.

Back