Patience of a saint

Maggiesmom

Reaction score
Ive got to commend everyone on here like alleycat, sonocativo, deaf ducky, deafnerdmommy, cappy, rockinrobin, loveblue, deafdyke,zephren, Reba, and no offense for anyone I've interacted with and forgotten but honestly you guys have the patience of a Saint . I literally want to choke the "ive got a survey or paper people"

The last one got me thinking -"needing information on a cultural project for school"
( in the introduce your self thread) are people really that stupid. No wonder deaf or HOH don't like being called hearing impaired, have you looked up what impaired means for Pete's sake ...pretty sure my daughter isnt weak or damaged. But I've only been on here for a short time , and I get irritated over that crap, I can't imagine how you who have been here for years feel?

im·paired
imˈperd/
adjective
  1. 1.
    weakened or damaged.

Last edited:
crappy? LOL Cappy may actually like that! <ahem sorry>.

Anyway.. it's really a sticky point...some people do like the term 'hearing impaired' I have no idea why since I don't have the power of mind reading- yet. For me... well.. yes my hearing is damaged... and my vision is weak ( :( )...but 'hearing impaired' makes it sound so much worse like that the WHOLE person is damaged... not just my hearing. Deaf is just plain easier. With both HI and HOH people then default to the thinking of well you CAN hear! So I'll just talk as I always do, and forget what the environment is like or if there's a better way to communicate. With Deaf- no question- person is more aware (we hope) so a little more careful.

With vision... that's a little behind the times- maybe. I know there's a movement- at least within the deafblind community to use the term "low vision" to denote more severe vision loss but still enough to see. Vision impaired I still see used widely but less of an outcry against.

Anyway.. it's really a sticky point...some people do like the term 'hearing impaired' I have no idea why since I don't have the power of mind reading- yet. For me... well.. yes my hearing is damaged... and my vision is weak ( :( )...but 'hearing impaired' makes it sound so much worse like that the WHOLE person is damaged... not just my hearing. Deaf is just plain easier. With both HI and HOH people then default to the thinking of well you CAN hear! So I'll just talk as I always do, and forget what the environment is like or if there's a better way to communicate. With Deaf- no question- person is more aware (we hope) so a little more careful.

With vision... that's a little behind the times- maybe. I know there's a movement- at least within the deafblind community to use the term "low vision" to denote more severe vision loss but still enough to see. Vision impaired I still see used widely but less of an outcry against.
Thank you for catching my typo!!! How embarrassing lol!!!

Well here is the perspective of just one person that is not bothered by the term "hearing impaired". Refer to me with which ever one you prefer.

I having always been in the hearing world in spite of loosing hearing in the left ear to the point of undetectable at the age of 5 (infection following measles - no other history of ear infections). The right ear has gone down to profound during my adult years. I did take ASL as a community college night class a couple of different times during the 1980s but made no contacts to keep working on it and actually use it.

So "hearing impaired" seems natural to me and has the meaning of just referring to hearing not anything else.

I do thoroughly understand and really agree with the frustration etc. fro

That's sweet of you MaggiesMom.

I wanted to spit out my own drink when I read

I literally want to choke the "ive got a survey or paper people"
:lol:

I don't think some people even know what the word 'respect' and 'patience ' mean and there are no 'saint ' here !

Wow.. rude much? What a way to bring down a 'feel good' thread. I certainly would not do that to someone who would post a similar thread and my name was not mentioned or if there were people who are not great people were mentioned. Just leave it be and LET IT GO.

Wow.. rude much? What a way to bring down a 'feel good' thread. I certainly would not do that to someone who would post a similar thread and my name was not mentioned or if there were people who are not great people were mentioned. Just leave it be and LET IT GO.
And who is she to say there a no saints here?

I am sorry everyone , I didn't mean make any one mad , I was just stating I think everyone has a lot of patience with all the students and surveys because it seems pretty annoying to me. And I was also just pointing out that the actual meaning of the word impaired says broken and weak and I know none of you are broken or weak. But I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. I just listed the folks who's interacted with me the most and have helped me with parenting questions. I left out Mieke and Mieke has always been very nice to me, sorry I left you out too.

Since my husbands dad has passed (my husband is a coda ) and there isn't a large deaf community here in town, I value everyone's opinions here on AD. I am extremely thankful for everyone's help over the last 6 months I think I've been here and the kindness everyone has shown towards Maggie...but I learned by lesson, I'll definitely keep my posts to minimum and save them for Important instances. I am thankful that I don't seem to be getting any judgment on keeping Maggies hearing aid the way it is and not having an implant. I am thankful you all have been supportive and offered good advice on the playgroup I started for her and other deaf and HOH children in our area (btw we actually have 5 kids coming now !!! They are all a lot older than Maggie like 7-14 but they are really sweet to her and one little girl who's 9 thinks she's a mini baby doll and loves playing with her and all the kids love signing with Maggie and they are helping her and I learn more ASL. -talk about a run on sentence lol)

So anyway I am sorry again if I hurt anyone, totally and completely my bad and I take full responsibility for hurting anyone's feelings.

Well here is the perspective of just one person that is not bothered by the term "hearing impaired". Refer to me with which ever one you prefer.

I having always been in the hearing world in spite of loosing hearing in the left ear to the point of undetectable at the age of 5 (infection following measles - no other history of ear infections). The right ear has gone down to profound during my adult years. I did take ASL as a community college night class a couple of different times during the 1980s but made no contacts to keep working on it and actually use it.

So "hearing impaired" seems natural to me and has the meaning of just referring to hearing not anything else.

I do thoroughly understand and really agree with the frustration etc. fro
You've got a good point as well. I think sometimes we'll probably a lot I am a little overly sensitive when it comes to Maggie . I don't want anyone to ever treat her differently or think she can't do anything she wants so I guess I get defensive but you're right though most people aren't going to go into depth of the meaning impaired most people just think it mean you can't hear not that your weak or broken.

You've got a good point as well. I think sometimes we'll probably a lot I am a little overly sensitive when it comes to Maggie . I don't want anyone to ever treat her differently or think she can't do anything she wants so I guess I get defensive but you're right though most people aren't going to go into depth of the meaning impaired most people just think it mean you can't hear not that your weak or broken.

But . . . what is the big deal over using impaired (which I have learned here is a common attitude for some especially that consider themselves Deaf rather than deaf) it is just that which gives us the ability to hear is broken. I don't see how it can refer to more than that!

Back