Parents of deaf children?

bchamberlin

Reaction score
Looking for support groups or other parents with deaf children. My son is 2, the youngest of 4 children and he was born deaf. Just looking for others in similar situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for support groups or other parents with deaf children. My son is 2, the youngest of 4 children and he was born deaf. Just looking for others in similar situations.

Okay. You need to edit your title.

I was in shock over the title too....:D.....

I'd suggest that you google or ask your audiologist about this; they usually know about support groups...I know mine has some on-going groups for people dealing with hearing loss. If your child/children are in a deaf school, you could ask the teachers? They might have them at the school or know of a group.

Laura

Long time ago, My mom found out when i was born profoundly deaf. She went to deaf school and bumped into the other mom and made friends. The other mom taught my mom how to sign language to communicate with me. She even met other the moms as well.

Early intervention can usually provide you with a list of local playgroups including families with deaf kids, whether they run them or not. Ours pointed us to a school for the deaf that held 3X weekly parent-infant group meetings in ASL with terps, providing us with language development and support in the form of embedded psychologists, other parents of deaf kids, SLPs, and adult Deaf volunteers. We even transferred our early intervention services to the professionals associated with this school.

Depending on your location, Hands and Voices runs workshops and meetings, sometimes meet ups. And we found a wealth of resources from both our state's Deaf and HH Commission (including a Deaf Mentor) and Children's Hospital Boston's Deaf and HH Program (which also pointed us to a school for the deaf for services and ensured our IFSP was written with a focus on ASL).

Okay. You need to edit your title.

I guess I'm not the only one who has trouble with her d's & f's, though usually when using ASL.

Seems to be an easy typo as the d & f are next to each other on the keyboard.

Maybe a MOD could fix it.

Early intervention can usually provide you with a list of local playgroups including families with deaf kids, whether they run them or not. Ours pointed us to a school for the deaf that held 3X weekly parent-infant group meetings in ASL with terps, providing us with language development and support in the form of embedded psychologists, other parents of deaf kids, SLPs, and adult Deaf volunteers. We even transferred our early intervention services to the professionals associated with this school.

Depending on your location, Hands and Voices runs workshops and meetings, sometimes meet ups. And we found a wealth of resources from both our state's Deaf and HH Commission (including a Deaf Mentor) and Children's Hospital Boston's Deaf and HH Program (which also pointed us to a school for the deaf for services and ensured our IFSP was written with a focus on ASL).

:gpost:

Back