Panicked

Bergyn

Reaction score
Hello. Recently I've been a little panicked. I first started to learn ASL 3 years ago. I've learned what I think is a decent amount of vocab and have taken a course. Now I'm a bit panicked. In the part couple of months, I've seen a lot of things against me. Some people say hearing people shouldn't be learning ASL. I've seen people be mad about naive signers.
For the first couple off years, yeah, I was a naive signer. I learned vocab and had fun with it. Now I'm scared at what back lash I might get if I step forward.
I'm 99% an at home DIY learner. I haven't had any where to go. I have no resources to help me further my knowledge in Deaf culture and I'm scared of learning of learning ASL syntax wrong.
I don't know what to do.
My dad even wants to learn sign language to bond with me and I don't even know if I'm allowed to help him in any way.
I need some real knowledge so please don't respond if you know you are naive like I admittedly am.
Thank you in advance!

I think learning any kind of sign language is better than worrying about if its in order. I started learning to sign from a book that was a bit more SEE (Signed Excat English) and picked up some signs from a hearing teacher at high school. Then I went to a Deaf Camp which really was overwhelming as they were really fluent in ASL and I just was picking it up slowly after that I went to the Deaf School and it was hard but I became fluent in a year and really did well in my senior year.
Everyone is a melting pot, no one person signs perfectly and no one is going to be that harsh on new people. If they are, then they are being rude. I have friends that sign more SEE but its still communication. The more you go to ASL events, ASL classes the better you become!

In my perspective, I encourage everyone to learn because someday they might become a mother to a deaf child or become an sign language interpreter or teach at a Deaf school. I always like it when I see people practice sign with me at stores that will be helpful for Deaf folks who really are dependent on sign language alone.

If you don't have access to a ASL class near you then try http://www.lifeprint.com/ This has lots of information you can learn from!

Hope this helps!
Annie

Hello. Recently I've been a little panicked. I first started to learn ASL 3 years ago. I've learned what I think is a decent amount of vocab and have taken a course. Now I'm a bit panicked. In the part couple of months, I've seen a lot of things against me. Some people say hearing people shouldn't be learning ASL. I've seen people be mad about naive signers.
For the first couple off years, yeah, I was a naive signer. I learned vocab and had fun with it. Now I'm scared at what back lash I might get if I step forward.
I'm 99% an at home DIY learner. I haven't had any where to go. I have no resources to help me further my knowledge in Deaf culture and I'm scared of learning of learning ASL syntax wrong.
I don't know what to do.
My dad even wants to learn sign language to bond with me and I don't even know if I'm allowed to help him in any way.
I need some real knowledge so please don't respond if you know you are naive like I admittedly am.
Thank you in advance!
ASL is good in so many places, hearing places where the deaf may need help for one major example. You are certainly allowed to help him. Look for deaf groups in your community, check with your city clerk's office for them as well as the local school's social workers. Some churches use signers for their deaf communities --sometimes even up front with the speakers. You are on the right track, just keep plugging and whatever you do, don't give up signing.

If I remember right way back when on Martha's Vineyard every one knew ASL all government functions meetings and all were conducted in English and ASL all shops, people on the street were bilingual not until AG Bell did things turn bad, what's that YouTube video through deaf eyes a must see to understand

Don't worry about what people think of you. ASL is no different from Italian, French or Chinese. It takes time and practice and you'll make lots of mistakes along the way but that's how you learn. You don't need anyone's permission or approval to learn ASL, just keep at it....

Laura

Back