Paleo and Primal Lifestyle

Ok, Boult. I am still reading those links you provided. I was going to ask you some questions, but Aleser started it anyway.

Many people on Paleo forums and blogs are concerned about high cholesterol. Some of their cholesterol have gone from 200 to 500. They have to cheat in order to lower it. That concerns me.

Also, it seems the majority of women have been on paleo diet for a while, they start experience depression? You know, there are different types of diets out there can cause depression.

Ok, Boult. I am still reading those links you provided. I was going to ask you some questions, but Aleser started it anyway.

Many people on Paleo forums and blogs are concerned about high cholesterol. Some of their cholesterol have gone from 200 to 500. They have to cheat in order to lower it. That concerns me.

Also, it seems the majority of women have been on paleo diet for a while, they start experience depression? You know, there are different types of diets out there can cause depression.

They may be overreacting… for me, I am not really concerned about cholesterol. Here are some links regarding cholesterol in paleo diet;
Why Cholesterol is Not Bad
Whole Life Diets, Autoimmune diet, Registered Dietitian, Paleo » Blog Archive » Paleo and Cholesterol
Cholesterol « The Paleo Garden
The Paleo Diet and High Cholesterol (it’s not what you think) | Paleo Diet News
The Fear Of Saturated Fat And Cholesterol

Obviously, nothing to fear of cholesterol and saturated fats.. in facts i am enjoying them… thus I went from waist size 38 to 32!

As for depression… well I don't have any but your question does not apply to me since I am not female but this link might helps;
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diet-for-depression/

Art De Vany says...
This slide show by Pedro Bastos is remarkably complete and extremely well organized.

Marty Wilson says...
Pedro Bastos will be speaking at the Ancestral Health Symposium. I randomly found this slide presentation while on SlideShare and thought you all might enjoy a 'primer' on Paleo. 'Great stuff here!

Evolutionary Medicine Frankfurt
"Exercise, sleep, sun exposure and dietary needs of every living organism are genetically determined, which is why it is being increasingly recognized that the profound changes in diet and lifestyle that occurred in the last 10,000 years are too recent, on an evolutionary time scale, for the human genome to have fully adapted, which underlies many of so-called diseases of civilization, such as coronary heart disease, obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, epithelial cell cancers and osteoporosis."

This slides has transcripts that you could follow like CC…

Caveman diet really does work. Its similar to a Zone diet

Most of the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are in meats, fruits, vegetables and nuts. Things like bread, noodles, and rice are mostly filler.

Dairy isnt good for you. Countries with the highest incidences of osteroperosis consume the most dairy. The calicium doesnt seem to be getting absorbed.

Also the protein in dairy, Casein increases inflammation. Fighters avoid eating dairy before a fight so they dont swell up so much after getting hit.

Nutrition isnt fully understood. In the past, Inuit people (eskimos) ate a diet without any vitamin C, but for some reason they didnt develope scurvy.

Nutrionists saying a diet needs to be high in carbs is wrong

typical diet could be

Breakfast
2 hardboiled eggs, apple, orange, and almonds
Lunch
Chicken vegetable soup and strawberrys
Dinner
Steak vegetables, and fruit

caveman diet isnt complicated at all

This is a good guide on burning more body fats by reducing carbs;
The Carbs Curve

Attachments

• 313751_2391800593261_1198268106_32947898_1836068_n.jpg
    313751_2391800593261_1198268106_32947898_1836068_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9
I started looking at Primal about a month ago or so myself. I have made some changes, though getting my thyroid stabilized is what helped to cut down on processed carb food. Since my thyroid levels stabilized, I didn't have much craving for pasta, bread, sugary stuff, ice cream, etc. I do still love pizza, though I also noticed I have become more picky on where I get the pizza :P So, this part made switching to Primal easier than it would be for someone who's a carb addict in the first place.

I do still have some boxes of cereal, but I am not gonna toss them (and they are already opened, so they couldn't be donated to a food bank). Tossing food in the name of a new lifestyle is a waste.

I have no issue with keeping a good amount of fat in my food, since fat is important for satiety. Though, I focus more on plant-based sources like olive oil, avocado, coconut, etc. rather than bacon fat, butter, and cream. I do use cream, but not too much. I hardly use butter.

I am also a member of Mark's Daily Apple forum. Lots of information there, though some people can be big freaks about bacon :laugh2:

I have no issue with physical activity, since I do a lot of moving and dealing with heavy items at my retail job. I will be going to school, so there's walking on campus with a big bag.

One issue I do have is how much I can spend on food :( I love good cheeses, but I will have to do with a limited purchase and keep an eye out for sales and coupons. I love Shaw's for sales and in-store coupons, though. I was able to buy four balls of almond encrusted garlic cheese for just 99 cents each (normally, they would sell for $5.99 each!). They sometimes put discounts on dairy products and produce before they expire.

I know some people are very against grains, but I have been thinking about that. The human body can adapt to a great variety of environments, and I believe that some humans are able to tolerate certain foods that others can't. Way before we had medicine, if a human couldn't survive on what is available in his/her environment, he/she died and his/her peers survived to pass on genes that enabled offspring to be able to eat the local foods without difficulty. One big thing about grains today is that they are mostly modified. Ancestral forms of the same grains are much better. Plus, our ancestors really didn't eat that much grains because it's a lot of work to cultivate and prepare grains. So in that sense, modern humans are eating too much grains and could benefit from eating less. Maize =/= corn.

Additionally, it takes a body to know what the body can tolerate. If someone can't tolerate grains, then the best thing to do is cut them out. if someone can tolerate grains, then there's no sense in telling that person to cut them because grains weren't good for the other person. That's another thing about humans that's remarkable.

yeah when I eat sugar or grains, it makes me ravenous and crave more.

With the caveman diet my hunger is much more controlled. I dont have same urges to snack between meals

yeah when I eat sugar or grains, it makes me ravenous and crave more.

With the caveman diet my hunger is much more controlled. I dont have same urges to snack between meals

Then you know what works for you.

What really helped me was getting my thyroid levels stabilized. It's amazing what the thyroid can do to one's body!

I started mountain biking again. Im convinced the this diet reduces the arthritis pain in my knees. Im a candiate for knee replacements but not ready to go back under the knife

I know Im gonna sound like a kook, but this diet dramatically lowers the pain level. Much more than ibuprofen.

Its amazing, you dont get so sore after exercising. Ive got a bad shoulder from a car accident and it doesnt bother me as much.

You guys have no idea, I used to take 180mg of morphine a day and still be in pain. Ive tapered down to 15mg and the pain is much less.

Ive been reading about testosterone and its scary. High blood sugar, alcohol, and some medications lower it.

I've never done this strictly. But I have significantly reduced simple carbs and wheat in my diet before. When I do this:

-- My joints don't hurt as much

-- I have more resistance to sunburn

-- Generally longer lasting energy throughout the day

-- Clearer mental state, less "fog brain"

It also helps to take fish oil regularly.

Back