Overdose of medical/drug ads on ota tv in the usa?

Jane B.

Reaction score
I feel like we have constant ads for prescription drugs on over the air TV in the USA to the point that you could call it an overdose! Just wondering how others feel about it?

Are you overdosed? Please go to ER now, Jane.

Are you overdosed? Please go to ER now, Jane.

LOL Try watching programs on any of the channels that are over the air broadcasts (ABC, CBS, FOX local stations, NBC, Independent local stations) and notice how many of the ads are for prescription drugs and/or other medical treatment and you might feel you are getting an overdose.

I miss those ads where lightning bolts shoot into your body parts. Or from them. Not sure. Bring them back.

It's going on in your mind right now, believe you me. Where in the world do you think the rolling thunder is from?

LOL Try watching programs on any of the channels that are over the air broadcasts (ABC, CBS, FOX local stations, NBC, Independent local stations) and notice how many of the ads are for prescription drugs and/or other medical treatment and you might feel you are getting an overdose.

FDA allowed big pharma to ads on TV since mid 1990s, I think so.

There are a lot of big pharma ads on cable channels, especially adults.

FDA allowed big pharma to ads on TV since mid 1990s, I think so.

There are a lot of big pharma ads on cable channels, especially adults.

And boy did they take over since then. A matter of being willing to pay more to advertise than other advertisers?

It also depends on which programs you watch. I notice that programs with a more, ahem, "mature" audience get more of the meds commercials, in addition to investing in gold, reverse mortgages, Blue Emu, and walk-in tubs. I know because I'm part of that demographic. :lol:

I have cable and these ads come on at every commercial (or almost)...It's nuts...(the side-effects). I'm very anti-drug/pill...and question any prescription I'm given by the doctor..."do I really need this"?.....and 9x out of 10...I don't!...Some people are so gullible...thinking there is a "pill or drug" for every little thing....Got gas?...there's a pull for that...constipated?...a pill for that...upset tummy?...a pill for that..list goes on and on.

Well considering back in the 70s there used to be tons of commercials for cigarettes and alcohol... though commercials for beer is still common. It's pretty much what's happening now with meds/prescription... I hope one of these days a bill gets pushed to ban them from the airways.

On a side note-- one of the strangest commercials... we see commercials for KY jelly on GSN...in the middle of Family Feud during the dinner hour....yeeee....

I have cable and these ads come on at every commercial (or almost)...It's nuts...(the side-effects). I'm very anti-drug/pill...and question any prescription I'm given by the doctor..."do I really need this"?.....and 9x out of 10...I don't!...Some people are so gullible...thinking there is a "pill or drug" for every little thing....Got gas?...there's a pull for that...constipated?...a pill for that...upset tummy?...a pill for that..list goes on and on.

Yes, drug ads are very annoying so that why I watch premium channels or streaming often or buy own movies, not deal with ads.

throw out the TV.

tv-throw-o.gif

I tossed my tv after watching a political broadcast of total lies thirty years ago. I have seen tv at friends etc.
I noticed high dollar ads for a drug that only a tiny minority of people would need on there recently. Hmm how does that work? They already briefcase the doctors pretty thoroughly. The list of side effects on it were pretty much awful. Weeks later ... still lots of ads for the same pill. Hmm

I cannot help but wonder if they are using tricky psychology. Get people used to lists of horrific side effects. Put a lot into a purposeless sell to soften and leave open minds to other products still in the works. I dunno. I know they are tricky con artists.

And boy did they take over since then. A matter of being willing to pay more to advertise than other advertisers?

It's how they make business and money.

Analogous story- I had a gum inflammation between 2 molars where a sliver had lodged (whole wheat!). My dentist said, "Well the space between those teeth has grown so much the only remedy is 2 crowns so I can close the gap. That's funny, I thought, never had a problem before the sliver, so I asked him to clean it well and I'd wait and see in case it improved on it's own. "until the next time, when of course I'd have you do crowns (bow scrape and fawn)." Within 2 days the problem was history. Racketeers!

Back