Outrage Over District Plan To Cut Sports Program

pek1

Reaction score
Outrage Over District Plan To Cut Sports Program - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Hard economic times dealt a crushing blow to athletics in Northern California's largest high school district as trustees voted in favor of an interim budget that calls for the district-wide elimination of all athletic programs.

The East Side Union District Board of Trustees met in San Jose early Thursday evening for an emotionally-charged discussion on the topic that stretched into the evening. Some parents feel there are political motivations behind this unprecedented move to cut athletics, while district leaders claim Sacramento leaves them no other choice.

After the controversial vote, the board noted that the program cuts are not a final decision, depending how much funding the state provides.

At Independence High School, a quarter of the entire school -- about 1,000 students in all -- are athletes.

"I think that for some students, this is what draws them to come to school on a daily basis," said Independence High Athletic Director Skip Yenchik.

High school coaches in the district got an email earlier this week warning that football, soccer and all other sports will likely be eliminated from the district's 11 schools including Santa Theresa, Oak Grove and Andrew Hill.

"I was very angry when this happened," said Andrew Hill High Volleyball Coach Matt Sandora. "Kids [are] already talking about wanting to transfer away to find athletics, because [for] many of the students here, one of their loves is sports."

Student athletes from some of the district's schools respectfully came with signs and wearing their school colors to protest.

"I just came from basketball practice. Last season it would have been water polo practice and next season it should be track and field practice," said Evergreen Valley High School Meagan Gage. "What I'm saying is sports are an important part of my life as well as other students."

Jeff Borges, the football coach at Andrew Hill High School, expressed similar sentiments: "I can't understand how we would take something so valuable as athletics from these youngsters. So I ask the board to reconsider. Shame on the people that are responsible for even bringing this up tonight. Shame on you! Shame, shame, shame!"

East Side Union School District Superintendant Bob Nunez insists the proposal is not a political maneuver, but necessary to meet the December 15 deadline for a balanced budget midyear report. He says the $2 million slash to sports will limit cuts in the classroom.

"The cost of sports is the equivalent to about 45 teachers," explained Nunez. "We're going to be keeping as many teachers as we can in the classroom.

But the budget plan also includes an estimated 50 teacher layoffs. District trustee J. Manuel Herrera expects the proposal to pass unanimously.

The proposal would mean the end of 40 teams at the district's 11 high schools participating in 23 sports for boys and girls from soccer, to golf to football. Sacramento has yet to tell school districts how much money will be forthcoming, but by state law balanced budgets must be submitted by next week.

"It is a wakeup call that is real. Nobody is posturing here," said Herrera. "Unless the governor and state legislature get their act together and find a solution to the deepening crisis, this will happen."

The superintendant hopes to bring some sports back funded privately by boosters and to rent out some of the athletic facilities.

Superintendent Nunez says it wouldn't surprise him that other school districts will be considering similar drastic cuts.

"One of my sons was an athlete; my other son was in band. Both of them called me this morning," said Superintendent Nunez. "The athlete said 'Dad, are you really cutting sports?' And my other son said, 'Dad is music next?' And the answer to both is we are going to live within the monies that we've got."

Copyright 2008 by KTVU.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This is WONDERFUL news and it's about time! :yesway: Now, maybe and just maybe, kids will get an education instead of turning to sports, sports and more sports. Wish I lived out there, I'd help them trip away the fat in those sports programs.

that is near my local, yeah, i heard that news and anything else about cut budgets EVERYDAY what i heard, see on tv, and read newspapers. Its nothing new, FYI. Yes, we're trying our best to fight hard to keep. Its tough battle.

Back