Oregon community college shooting, multiple casualties

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you need is a toddler:

Toddlers open safe

It is silly how easy a safe is to bypass... There is not really a way to 100% secure anything... Instead of keeping guns away, I believe in proper gun safety and handling from a young age... A child is just too curious...

. . . The downfall of being friends with cons and studying security... You learn it is all worthless....
So what do you suggest for secure gun storage?

So what do you suggest for secure gun storage?

There is not really any full proof way... The best we can do is teach the childern about guns and have a safe that can bolt to the ground to deter theft ... If you want to get froggy about it, make it a hidden safe... But many do not have the money for that. Besides why should they have to... Proper gun safety and procedures help protect the childern... Criminals will do as they please and the more security you add the more ways they will find around them...

Much more invasive back ground checks, since most of the school shooters have legally bought their guns a background check that involves mental health screenings and maybe even talking to neighbors and other family members should eliminate a number of these people who go on these killing sprees.
How often? Even doing that once per buyer the cost and time required would be prohibitive. That's more like a DoD security background check, which they can't even keep up with.

Yea, what is the percentage of americans that own guns 33%? So that would be 103 million screenings? At a couple grand a pop that's $206,000,000,000. I'm not sure but I think that is a quarter billion dollars.

Besides, find enough qualified people who are willing to ok people for gun ownership.

You missunderstand me. I totally agree that the families knew what what going on but did nothing. Thats my point. They don't know how, dont have the tools or can't face what their children have become. It usually comes out that there where warning signs overlooked by schools and authorities who DO have the tools to do something.

Well in the case of Mercer and Holmes they were both out of school, so nobody in education really had any dealings with them, so they wouldn't know something was wrong with either of them, in the case of Adam Lanza he also was out of school, but had been home schooled by his mother, so again nobody in education would know something wasn't right with him either, so it boils down to family and friends to recognize something is wrong and alert the people who need to be alerted. All of them had family or friends who were afraid that they were going to do something, but none acted on their intuitions and a lot of people have lost their lives or been permanently scared from these tragedies. Perhaps we are missing the people we need to educate and that is the families of these people, if they feel something isn't right with a family member or friend and you feel that they are capable of harming others or themselves, GET THEM HELP!

We don't have any children in the house (our grandsons are in college). I just want to keep our guns out of the hands of criminals.

Then don't buy your gun safe at a gun store or Lowes or Home Depot but get a real safe, because the criminals can open your tin can safe in minutes and steal your guns. A real safe is going to cost you thousands of dollars, not hundreds.

How often? Even doing that once per buyer the cost and time required would be prohibitive. That's more like a DoD security background check, which they can't even keep up with.

The person who wanted to buy the gun would carry the burden of paying for the entire background check.

The person who wanted to buy the gun would carry the burden of paying for the entire background check.

Question... Do you believe that only people who should have the ability to exercise their second amendment rights are the very wealthy?

Question... Do you believe that only people who should have the ability to exercise their second amendment rights are the very wealthy?

Not at all, but allowing someone who should not be allowed to own a gun to actually have one should not be allowed. Truth be told probably a lot of wealthy probably don't have both oars in the water and shouldn't have guns either.

Ain't happ'nin'.

Then you would be better off putting them under the house or if you have a basement get someone out to make a hidden storage between the floor and the basement to hide the guns in. Tin can safes just aren't safe and give you a false sense of security. My parents next door neighbors house was burglarized and the thieves cut the door off the gun safe in less than 5 minutes and made off with about a dozen guns.

Then you would be better off putting them under the house or if you have a basement get someone out to make a hidden storage between the floor and the basement to hide the guns in. Tin can safes just aren't safe and give you a false sense of security. My parents next door neighbors house was burglarized and the thieves cut the door off the gun safe in less than 5 minutes and made off with about a dozen guns.
I was replying to this post:

Originally Posted by seb View Post

Our house is on a slab (there are no basements in the Lowcountry).

A gun safe won't protect my daughter and if I need to actually use mine. I honestly think having a nice safe is good for some people but since I legally carry mine (and keep it close at night), a gun safe would do me more harm than good.

There's no way I could get a really good safe in my small apartment and have easy access if I had to keep it by the door. I guess it depends on the safe but yeah...

60018010.jpg

A gun safe won't protect my daughter and I if I need to actually use mine. I honestly think having a nice safe is good for some people but since I legally carry mine (and keep it close at night), a gun safe would do me more harm than good.
We can't carry all our guns at one time. ;)

Not at all, but allowing someone who should not be allowed to own a gun to actually have one should not be allowed. Truth be told probably a lot of wealthy probably don't have both oars in the water and shouldn't have guns either.

And yet all these stipulations that you keep saying that potential and current gun owners should do and have cost an extensive amount of money... Tens of thousands of dollars just to own something would keep the average American from being able to own a gun.

And yet all these stipulations that you keep saying that potential and current gun owners should do and have cost an extensive amount of money... Tens of thousands of dollars just to own something would keep the average American from being able to own a gun.

So let me ask you this, do you think the city streets are safer today than they were 30 years ago, do you think kids going to school are safer than they were 30 years ago? If people had to spend the money to get a real background check we probably would have a lot less people on the streets with guns who shouldn't have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back