oral death program question

Even if they don't naturally hear it? Then how are they naturally exposed to it?

So you really don't know much about the Deaf experience, do you? That is, what life is like outside of the classroom?

The average age of amplification after the newborn hearing screen is 6 months. The goal is 3 months. They do hear it.

Just kinda skimmed through this but I must point out that there is no manual on what is the best approach for a hoh or deaf child, while all routes are good intentioned.
I had the same issue with my gay son...second oldest to my daughter who I started most dating rules about. My rules went out the window with him. We are individuals, not made from cookie cutters.

Just kinda skimmed through this but I must point out that there is no manual on what is the best approach for a hoh or deaf child, while all routes are good intentioned.
I had the same issue with my gay son...second oldest to my daughter who I started most dating rules about. My rules went out the window with him. We are individuals, not made from cookie cutters.

I definitely agree 100%. :ty:

And English is a natural language for deaf children and can and is naturally acquired through everyday exposure, just as ASL ccould be.

I know a few Deaf adults, but I would not say many. 3 or 4 socially, others just in passing. There is a Deaf adult who attends my church, and I am pretty close with one of the deaf teachers I worked with.

Naturally acquired? Hmmm

:hmm:

Then why do many deaf and hoh children end up with language delays or deficits after being forced to pick up English "naturally" without exposure to ASL and then when they are finally exposed to ASL, they become fluent in it within a year?

There are tons of deaf kids acquiring English naturally through everyday exposure. They hear it. They use hearing devices that allow them to hear and understand spoken English. They then listen to the language being used around them and acquire it naturally through audition. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Then why do they need hours of intensive AVT or speech therapy if English is so easily picked up by them "listening"? :roll:

Unless those kids "using devices" who are "listening" are raised like I was, or how a few of my friends were, or how a lot of deaf HoH kids are still raised, with no devices to "listen" and don't want them. :ty: You couldn't have PAID me to leave those H.A.'s on when I was a kid are you kidding me! lmao!

Then why do they need hours of intensive AVT or speech therapy if English is so easily picked up by them "listening"? :roll:

I don't think an hour a week playing games with a therapist is "intensive therapy" that makes language acquisition no longer natural.

Let me tell you something...

My mom spent 8 hours a day teaching me how to speak when I was a little girl. Guess what? My speech is not that excellent or fluent enough like a hearing person. I consider speech therapy is a huge waste for some Deaf students.

Which is the important for Deaf/ HOH (Culturally Deaf) students?

Education or Intensive Speech Therapy sessions?

Please tell me.

My mom spent 8 hours a day teaching me how to speak when I was a little girl. Guess what? My speech is not that excellent or fluent enough like a hearing person. I consider speech therapy is a huge waste for some Deaf students.

Please tell me.

Given choice, I would prefer education. So much can be learned in many different forms. One can only lose confidence if they try so hard on speech and fail. They may feel they have no confident with other stuffs. Try to work on different stuffs. Figure that speech will eventually come.

I don't think an hour a week playing games with a therapist is "intensive therapy" that makes language acquisition no longer natural.

They're still language delayed right? They still start out needing intense oral schools,speech therapy or AVT.....
How many of those students GRADUATE completely from speech? How many of them have on par verbal IQs?

Please tell me.

EDUCATION and social/emotional development!

seems cruel on nine year old.no wonder many deaf youngsters get issues and suffer when teenagers and young adults

And English is a natural language for deaf children and can and is naturally acquired through everyday exposure, just as ASL ccould be.

I know a few Deaf adults, but I would not say many. 3 or 4 socially, others just in passing. There is a Deaf adult who attends my church, and I am pretty close with one of the deaf teachers I worked with.

I think it's important for you to recognize that everyone responds differently to hearing technology. Not everyone gets the same benefit, and the significant majority of those deaf children will not acquire English through audition alone.

If the parent commits to using TC and SEE, then I would agree that they can acquire English naturally. Otherwise, it requires learning English through reading, writing, speech, and language therapy.

English can be acquired naturally, but in most cases not through audition alone.

I think it's important for you to recognize that everyone responds differently to hearing technology. Not everyone gets the same benefit, and the significant majority of those deaf children will not acquire English through audition alone.

If the parent commits to using TC and SEE, then I would agree that they can acquire English naturally. Otherwise, it requires learning English through reading, writing, speech, and language therapy.

English can be acquired naturally, but in most cases not through audition alone.

If spoken English can still be acquired naturally as you say, then why is it that after nearly 50 years......years of Speech therapy and having my speech corrected every waking hour, being declared an 'oral success' because I was raised to be a public speaker yet, I still have to concentrate on enunciating my words, I still stumble on pronunciation, and still have a aching weight in my chest from effort to push the words out?? That's not 'natural' It's like doing a work-out non-stop. That's why I've said 'Enough is enough'. My choice is Voice-off. Being voice-off, I have no weight on my shoulders, I'm free!

If spoken English can still be acquired naturally as you say, then why is it that after nearly 50 years......years of Speech therapy and having my speech corrected every waking hour, being declared an 'oral success' because I was raised to be a public speaker yet, I still have to concentrate on enunciating my words, I still stumble on pronunciation, and still have a aching weight in my chest from effort to push the words out?? That's not 'natural' It's like doing a work-out non-stop. That's why I've said 'Enough is enough'. My choice is Voice-off. Being voice-off, I have no weight on my shoulders, I'm free!

She didn't say anything about spoken English.

My spoken English may be a bit incomprehensible, but I certainly manage to acquire English.

And the English had nothing to do with speech therapy... It's written.

My spoken English may be a bit incomprehensible, but I certainly manage to acquire English.

You're right she didn't say spoken English but I think you're giving her too much benefit of the doubt. She has mentioned amplification and aiding newborns and that they're acquiring of English would be natural. Just going by the fact that she's talking about what they're hearing, and at that age written English isn't even on the table, I'm going to assume she means learning English by hearing it, spoken English.

If that's the case she must be suffering from extreme confusion. All hearing loss is not equal. The amount if possible speech reception is dependent on the level of loss. Not to mention there are ski slope, reverse ski slope, cookie bite and flat losses, all which effect how well aids are going to work for someone. You can't expect to slap hearing aids on someone and expect that no matter the degree of loss they will get the same results from being aided. I highly doubt if I had been born with the loss I have now I would ever have gotten any speech discrimination.

You're right she didn't say spoken English but I think you're giving her too much benefit of the doubt. She has mentioned amplification and aiding newborns and that they're acquiring of English would be natural. Just going by the fact that she's talking about what they're hearing, and at that age written English isn't even on the table, I'm going to assume she means learning English by hearing it, spoken English.

If that's the case she must be suffering from extreme confusion. All hearing loss is not equal. The amount if possible speech reception is dependent on the level of loss. Not to mention there are ski slope, reverse ski slope, cookie bite and flat losses, all which effect how well aids are going to work for someone. You can't expect to slap hearing aids on someone and expect that no matter the degree of loss they will get the same results from being aided. I highly doubt if I had been born with the loss I have now I would ever have gotten any speech discrimination.
Good point, Ambrosia.

Right on CSign.....in addition if dhh kids could aquire English nautrally by audition alone, they wouldn't need speech therapy!

I agree with you Botts, that fluent written English is very attainable for all Deaf. :D

I wasn't talking about spoken English.

Back